Advice about Ubuntu installation.

Grub goes into the MBR or other system section of the HDD, its a part that isn't cleared by partitioning.
You can edit the old entries out though.

Grub goes into the MBR or other system section of the HDD, its a part that isn't cleared by partitioning.
You can edit the old entries out though.
Interesting. And how can i accomplish that?

Surprised to see the CPU usage is bigger than with Windows XP, expected Linux to be more optimised.

Is there a good anti virus software for Ubuntu to try out?
Rest assured. You won't need ANY anti virus for Ubuntu. You could always try some if you really want.
:) Well or protection against Spyware or privacy invasion? Any recommended tools for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a good anti virus software for Ubuntu to try out?

AVG, Antivir and Fprot are all available for linux for free. I tried out Fprot way back (still command line only back then), worked nicely. But as somebody else said before, you're pretty safe with linux, but i guess you could theoretically download a windows virus and then transfer that file to your windows partition. :devilish:

AVG, Antivir and Fprot are all available for linux for free. I tried out Fprot way back (still command line only back then), worked nicely. But as somebody else said before, you're pretty safe with linux, but i guess you could theoretically download a windows virus and then transfer that file to your windows partition. :devilish:
So we are toying with the lab rat now? :)

Didn't know AVG was available for linux. Thanks for the heads up.

Was checking the ATI site, this is the Catalyst driver they had for linux:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...x?type=2.7&product=2.7.4.3.3.3.1&lang=English

Yet no mention of the word Ubuntu anywhere. Will this drive work with the 9.04 release?

Just use the restricted drivers manager built into Ubuntu.

As for privacy, simply disabling 3rd party cookies in your web browser should be sufficient.

I got a little desktop (Acer Aspire X1700 with a Q8200 quad core and 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4350) and after I was done with installing that, I also installed a new Ubuntu 9.04 from a LiveCD. This was a nice way of installing by the way because you can just boot to Ubuntu and then start the installer there once you're ready evaluating the Live environment that runs from DVD. After I figured out the partitioning (I wanted to take away 100mb from my second partition and give that to linux - took me a little while to figure out, but I managed it) everything else was a doodle mostly (except stupid stuff like wanting to update Firefox 3.0 to 3.5.1, which for some reason Ubuntu doesn't want you to do very soon - if you want to keep up to date there's a special tool to upgrade before Ubuntu wants you).

So far I'm pretty happy and mentally am continuously pitching it against Vista. I have Ubuntu now as default bootup, because its much faster, because I want to try and see how far I can get with it (I originally considered trying to buy a new machine somewhere without a Windows licence and just get a pure Linux box), and because I haven't tried figuring out yet how to change the default boot in Grub (which is currently Ubuntu of course ;) ).

I also got VMWare working in it, so it seems like basically I could do all my Windows related work on this box no problem, which is cool (we work within images pretty much all the time).

I installed the ATI driver, but I have no idea if it works - when I tried opening some kind of control panel for it that crashed. Installing latest Catalyst drivers gave me BSOD on Vista as well, kind of disappointing.

Just use the restricted drivers manager built into Ubuntu.

As for privacy, simply disabling 3rd party cookies in your web browser should be sufficient.

Yeah, that's what I used.

On the other hand, my old Graphire tablet works great with GIMP under Ubuntu, whereas GIMP under Vista has some kind of weird bug it seems. Then again the pen-tablet support works with the Graphire on Vista, which is pretty neat. On the Ubuntu side again, our old Epson 1200 scanner works great under Ubuntu, but isn't supported at all under Vista.

Interesting. And how can i accomplish that?
Oopsie, failed to answer that before.
Should be a file /boot/grub/menu.lst that is plain text & pretty easy to edit.

Also http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ has an ISO that automates & GUIfies the editing of GRUB & can be very useful for sorting out multi-boot machines that got all confused.

Hi, I will take the opurtunity to ask for some help too.

I want to try linux (dualboot), so I created a new partition and downloaded a fedora (live) iso, and also a Ubunto iso for instalation I have burned them, Then I put my PC booting from CD/DVD.

The fedora disk will show some some lines (too fast to read but I think there is failure writen somewhere) then put me a "ball" getting ful l(white) then it will show me some blurred lines, and stays forever this way.

Ubunto starts nice ask me for language and when it starts instalation then I get some blurred things but I think I can read somehere (again too fast) softreset failure.

Any idea of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Did you burn a LiveCD? If so I would first boot the live CD, see if Ubuntu or Fedora runs that way and runs properly, or if you have problems then also. Otherwise, what kind of graphics chipset do you have? I know there are some problems with Intel graphics chipsets. There are always options to do the install from the commandline first, but I don't know if that will help in this case, it's a little beyond my simple Linux skills.

Blurry/corrupted video on first boot sounds like either VIA or SiS IGP. It's true that Linux/X.org support for Intel IGPs is not so great atm, but it should still work reliably out of the box, albeit with the brakes on, at least on Ubuntu.

The LiveCD boot menu should allow you to select a compatibility mode for video, or even a catch-all "failsafe" mode.

I know little about Fedora's peculiarities in that respect but either way it'd be helpful if you could specify your video chipset. I will say though that Ubuntu's (~=Debian's) software package management is the best I've ever seen, and in my book that makes it very recommendable to people with little prior Linux experience.

Thanks for the replys.

I tried both by booting from the CD (like a clean instal of Windows) and ubunto I did instal with Wubi (?) but when I try to run I cant.

About the gfx card it is a X1900, meanwhile I have read that ATI does not support this one for Linux anymore. Is this the problem?

If it is I could try to run in the integrated 3200, but not anytime soon (it already gave me work to have the X1900 drivers up after the 3200).

Thanks

I just installed 9.04 on a 9700 and a integrated 3200 (both ATI) and I've had it on my x1600 laptop for well over a year. The laptop was a pain for a while but 9.04 has great ATI support in the free drive IMHO.

Well in that case I cant imagine what is the problem.

Anyway I will try harder later.

Thanks anyway.

Can you post your full hardware specs?

I had a rough time with an installation only to find it was the CD (scratch or something). I burned a clean one and the install went perfectly. There is an option to check the CD...

Have you tried just booting into Ubuntu on the LiveCD?

Oh, I also had a BIOS incompatibility with a Matrox G200 card, but that shouldn't affect an x1900 obviously.

My specs

X2 4850e
2GB DDR2 800Mhz
Asus motherboard based on the 780
X1900

Anyway I tried both fedora and Ubunto to instal directely, ie, putting the bios booting from CD/DVD, on Windows I booted the CD and tried to instal from Wubi.

Only the fedora CD was a live, the ubunto is a "normal" instalation CD.

Ah.
I have almost that exact set-up on one of my media pcs. My guess? You didn't disable the on board video (3200)?
Ubuntu defaults to LiveCD unless you choose "alternate" CD at download...

A
You didn't disable the on board video (3200)?

I think I have spend some time doing that, but how can I confirm?

Ubuntu defaults to LiveCD unless you choose "alternate" CD at download...

To be honest I cant remember but I downloaded it from a (official) torrent, but I will confirm that.

Thanks again.

Back