Zune.exe CPU hog?

Sound_Card

Regular
Seriously, I launch this app, and my CPU hovers around 25% constantly. This is a Q9300 OC'd at 3ghz. Sometimes the CPU will peak at 50% for short burst. This is only when I open Zune.exe.
Brilliant software besides this. Way better then iTunes, it's very fast and fluid.

Can't confirm it. I'm running this on W7 RC 64-bit (and ran it on Vista 64 previously) and never saw it. C2D E6600 and C2D T7500 (2.4 and 2.2Ghz respectively). I suggest you fire up the resource monitor, highlight Zune.exe in the process list and watch the average cpu load after a minute or so.

Here's a screenshot of mine 1:30 in after starting the beautifully animated Now Playing screen (orange in the graphs).

Averages 7% and never saw it go above 12% (load, changing to Now Playing). Notice the spikes in the networking graph as it downloads the images and text for the Now Playing screen.

25% on a quad core is 100% CPU utilization for one thread.

You say it is constant but then you say it only happens when you launch it. What is it?

I've had intermittent issues with steam behaving just like that. It ramps the CPU a lot for no reason, particulary when logging in. At times it's busy-waiting while idling for a response from the login server, very unprofessionally done.

These issues have become less common with time, but they don't seem to ever go entirely away; I had this problem just a few months ago last time I actually noticed it happening.

here I have a Xvnc4 process running away at 97, 98% CPU (multi-user ubuntu machine, where 100% equals one core)

I've killed the idling user session it was tied to ("my" Xvnc4 process uses 2 to 4%) and it's gone. So, it happens even with software meant to be boring and serious.

25% on a quad core is 100% CPU utilization for one thread.

You say it is constant but then you say it only happens when you launch it. What is it?

No. It is not when it just launches. It stays at 25% (more like < - > 25%). Also, the task is split to all 4 threads and all 4 hover around 25%. So at least it's quad threaded....

Nope.

Maxing out at 20% on my PhII X3 710. Normal usage is in 1%-5%.

Try Windows Media Centre on Vista. Zune is built on the framework. Oh, and .NET updates?

Back