Prototype or Infamous?

It will be interesting how these games do in next month's NPD thread. I have seen quite a few tv commercials for Infamous, so hopefully it does well because it seems like a solid game.

Prototype is out for the PS3, 360, and PC though. inFamous is out only for the PS3. I would imagine that Prototype will sell a lot more. On the PS3 though, I cant imagine Prototype selling more. As you said, lots of inFamous media coverage. Some for Prototype, but right up to the day of release, and after, not much.

I enjoy inFamous better. Better story (fantastic twist at the end), pacing, graphics, enviroment, weapons and upgrades, and replayability. Mainly due to playing as good or evil, and the ability to go back and find everything and play all the side missions you may not have found going thru the first time.

I played inFamous on the PS3 (duh) and Prototype on the PC. KB+mouse is better for me for any type of game where you have to aim. I just found Prototype much to melee. You hardly ever die, you just run thru the game destroying anything. For some, this is perfect. For me, not so much. Fun game, but not as good as inFamous. inFamous is the best game for the PS3 this year for me, and one of the top 5 for the system. I just really, really enjoyed it.

Prototype is a lot of fun too, about halfway through, have most of the unlocks (PS3 version). But oh my god is this game messy. Messy control, messy combat, there are just some weird choices.

In general, this game does really really play like Hulk: UD, but with a disguise mechanism tacked on. And I really mean tacked on -- this is the stupidest stealth gameplay I've ever played. It's like if Hitman had a soundless, instantaneous body-removing kill, and all the guards are completely stupid.

For some reason (this is true of Hulk too) they chose to use the same button for running, dodging and air-dashing. Locking-on is infuriating -- at least the game slows down as you switch targets. Though you'll be doing a lot of hand-to-hand combat, you'll mostly be spamming attacks -- with nothing more than a diveroll, there's not much depth. There's also the fact that for some reason that though the game requires you to be dashing nearly all the time, you don't really have effective attacks that launch out of a dash (with one exception), especially not that use the current weapon. Or, until later in the game, from a jump, either. And very often the game is infuriating. Not because you'll die a lot, or it's super hard, but because you're trying to do something and the controls make you do something else. This is particularly true with the grab commands. Oh, and because there's no modes and everything has to fit on the controls, you have multiple different types of attacks on the same buttons, differing just by charge time. And some weird chords, like circle+square (remapping won't help, since triangle+square and triangle+circle are taken, too).

If you think environment traversal in Infamous is brainless or too easy, Prototype outdoes it. Hold down right trigger and you'll climb anything, at a run. It is fun, though, to run up a building, jump to the top halfway through, break into a glide then air-dash into another glide etc.

That said, it is a lot of fun. Going back on-topic, compared to Infamous I think it's a better open-world game -- side missions are just one of the ways to get experience, for instance, you can farm it other ways I think Infamous is better all-around, as a game -- the controls are tighter, it's more polished, the game mechanics are more thought out. I'm not entirely sure which one I like more, but I think Prototype may wear its welcome soon.

Edit: on the issue of power, I'd say they're almost equal, with an edge to Alex. I mean, Alex can take missiles to the chest and role around, and that really hurts Cole, but Cole has other, better ways to avoid such attacks. Cole by the end of the game also has a shield that can make him practically invulnerable from a single direction. The fact of the matter is that both can be nickle-and-dimed to death. Alex has a much easier time taking on big targets and tanks than Cole does against turrets and trucks for most of the game, but Cole has better crowd control. He's built around ranged combat and he faces enemies who mostly use ranged combat. Alex, on the other hand, is built around melee combat but faces a lot of enemies with ranged attacks (grenade-launching military are easily the most annoying enemies). Also, Cole can regenerate instantly from any electrical source, while Alex's options are more limited (you can consume regular troops, but when things get crazy any more powerful round will cancel your action). Neither of them can survive very long against the tougher enemies, but again Cole might have an edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been playing Infamous for the last few days and gotta say the more I play it the more I love it. The game grows on you fast with all the power unlocks and an intriguing story to keep you hooked. Been on the good side so far and I totally enjoy the variety in powers and the fluent control. The graphics is definitely better than Prototype being 720p, HDR high-res textures and awesome special effects IMO. Prototype might be fun to play too but I'll recommend Infamous at this point.

since this board looks more active, I gona ask if anyone with the 360 version of prototype is able to get DTS sound to work. I have the PC version so Im just wondering.

Went for prototype.

My impressions from infamous where that they basically just replaced all your standart weapons with electric versions. I want something else. They didn't impress in the demo, and i felt it could have been so much more.

The main strong points of infamous where story and that the city feels alive. I never get fooled by "city feels alive" in freeroam games (perhaps infamous is particularly good at this, but even liberty city in gta4 feels pretty dead to me). I usually are never impressed by game stories either, and i figured that being able to fly kick a helicopter is pretty cool. I just wanted something sick, and prototype is definately the craziest game of the two.

So i purchased Prototype today. So far i love it. I love the gameplay, just so many sick moves to pull off, and the way you can fly around the city is great. The graphics are terrible at times (not that bad on ground level, but the higher you go the worse it looks (cuz buildings usually look pretty bad)) Framerate is rock solid, and there is insane amounts of stuff going on.

Have only played a couple missions, so far the cutscenes seem well done, and the gameplay has been fun. Aspecially once you start upgrading some movement abilities, and you can fly around doing crazy attacks.

Question: Can you only save one shape shift form?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for prototype.

My impressions from infamous where that they basically just replaced all your standart weapons with electric versions. They didn't impress in the demo, and i felt it could have been so much more.

That is what they did, but it's good gunplay. IMO both are worth buying.

The main strong points of infamous where story and that the city feels alive. I never get fooled by "city feels alive" in freeroam games (perhaps infamous is particularly good at this, but even liberty city in gta4 feels pretty dead to me). I usually are never impressed by game stories either, and i figured that being able to fly kick a helicopter is pretty cool.

Infamous' story is better than Prototype's, certainly -- neither is original, but Infamous borrows from better comics than Prototype, IMO.

So i purchased Prototype today. So far i love it. I love the gameplay, just so many sick moves to pull off, and the way you can fly around the city is great. The graphics are terrible at times (not that bad on ground level, but the higher you go the worse it looks (cuz buildings usually look pretty bad)) Framerate is rock solid, and there is insane amounts of stuff going on.

Prototype is good, but I still think Hulk was a superior game. The one great thing about Prototype is that really you can play it lots of different ways. Yahtzee says to use the whip, I used mostly muscle mass, faqs recommend you use the blades or tanks or helicopters.

The bad part are the controls. Early on it's not so bad, but again, there are some weird-ass choices. It's like every single attack can do different things depending on whether you're in the air or not or whether you charge an attack all the way or not or whether you have a weapon equipped or not. I finished the game, but I know I was yelling at the game more than once for cheap-shot explosive rounds interrupting you.

Question: Can you only save one shape shift form?

Yep. You usually want a military form, since they're more useful.

I tried to play some more Prototype last night at my Brothers house, ugh. It's like a terrible 90's rock video cut during the flash back scenes, and the gore is just so over the top it actually started to bother me because I felt like they were targeting 15 year olds.

The combat is cool, but out of all the moves he had unlocked, I only found a few to be useful, since there is really no reward to mix it up or use combos (that I could tell).

I still think inFamous has far far far superior combat since it rewards you with Stunt unlocks and XP Bonuses (and trophies) for pulling off different moves in different ways.

The Co-op podcast had a break down of both games (and Red Faction). They agreed, while Prototype has a tons of moves, they said you end up using one or two over and over. While inFamous has a smaller list, they string together well for lots of variety.

Prototype wreaks of design by committee (for teenagers). I have it in my rental queue, but no way I'm buying after watching all the video reviews.

The Co-op podcast had a break down of both games (and Red Faction). They agreed, while Prototype has a tons of moves, they said you end up using one or two over and over. While inFamous has a smaller list, they string together well for lots of variety.

That's not entirely fair; there's a huge variety of moves, and you don't have to use them all, but like I said above, you can basically use the attacks you want to use. It's a better sandbox game that way.

Prototype wreaks of design by committee (for teenagers). I have it in my rental queue, but no way I'm buying after watching all the video reviews.

It's really not a bad game. I'm not sure which one is better, since they do different things and Hulk was one of my favorite games last-gen -- and if you want, you can play prototype like it's the Hulk game. Or you can play it as something else entirely.

Have you finished Prototype?

Yep, got all the unlocks, too (and I finished Infamous twice). Like I said above, I think Infamous is a better game -- the missions are better-designed, the story is better, the controls are tighter, the power progression is actually tied into the game. But I think Prototype may be a better sandbox game. There's more chance to cause havoc, there's a multitude of ways to earn EP (you can do events, hunt for orbs in the early game, destroy bases, fight strike forces -- personally, I went infected watertower hunting with a helicopter), there's tons of stuff happening on the street. The whole point of Infamous is to clear away all the chaos on the streets, so by the end of the game the city's mostly empty -- while by the end of the game in Prototype, even past the end you'll have huge chunks of the city teeming with Infected and with the military fighting them. And Prototype has new game+, which is a bonus, I think.

Back