Prototype or Infamous?

Infamous is, according to Sucker Punch, 60 people working 3 years on the game. Plus it actually shipped early. Not that 130k copies sold in the US is excellent.

Not excelent but not too bad at all considering it was only relased the last week of the NPD month, it has actually been the fastest selling original IP out of all the sony exclusives so far, that not sayin much though :LOL:

Gamerevolution has always been really harsh compared with the more popular review sites. That said, I generally trust them the most.

If you like Gore and pounding around mindlessly at insane speeds - Get Prototype !

If you like aiming your shots urself, controlling ur platforming urself, give a damn about the story - Get InFamous !

;)

I , personally, am unable to do well in fast paced gamesand , being a shooter fan , I prefer aiming myself. My vote goes to Infamous. But , yes, mostly Superhero games have automatic lockons and movements at high speeds which might not be that accurate and people love those games too. My shooter background and love makes me go for precision and controlled aimingand that is what I love about Infamous.

Infamous was a hell of a lot better than I expected for sure. I love all the attention to detail that went into the creation of the city. Pop ups can be pretty severe, but considering that it's an open world game Infamous looks actually very pretty.
Gameplay was just plain fun with almost perfect controls, and the story was surprisingly gripping as well. It did end a little too abruptly for my tastes, though. The thing about the story that disappointed me the most was how a certain person's plot thread was "resolved". After all that certain someone did drive Cole's actions for about 80% of the entire game's length.

Not having played Hulk, I'd say Prototype is the more unique one of the two. That being said, there are no side missions in the game, only time trials which weren't any fun. Even the story missions were highly repetitive. I did like few of the gameplay elements and Alex probably has cooler powers than Cole, but I also couldn't help but feel some of them were overused while most of them were underused or simply there for sake of artificial variety. Also for a game that uses so much melee, I'm quite puzzled by absence of standard hack and slash stuff like guard and counters (besides a couple of QTEs).

Infamous on the other hand, has best story missions. In fact I'd say if you ignore the side missions, you get almost excellent linear platforming/shooting mix with above avarage story and that's very difficult to top. Side missions too are actually fun of course. For example, I loved ring racing in Infamous despite my general dislike to that particular mechanics. In contrast the implementation in Prototype was quite possibly the worst I have ever seen.

Also in general Infamous cares for the player much more than Prototype; in mission checkpointing every second, cumulative experience even if you die, frequent missions to teach you your new powers, radar showing collectibles, etc. I died way less in Prototype, but it was much more frustrating experience overall, and I don't ever plan to touch that game again (already finished Infamous twice, including a hard run, all side missions and most of the collectibles). I also have to add, combat system and the few boss battles in Infamous are much more satisfying and fun, especially so on hard.

So yes, Infamous is the better game because it builds exceptionally well on its (maybe not so interesting) framework.

Also for a game that uses so much melee, I'm quite puzzled by absence of standard hack and slash stuff like guard and counters (besides a couple of QTEs).

Ugh, thank god for no QTEs. After playing God of War. I liked the game but absolutely HATED the QTEs.

Then I tried that one Ninja game (can't remember name but it came out recently) over at a friends place and I was already hating the game after 2-3 minutes because of all the QTEs...

Regards,
SB

It is amazing that no one has played both games, though.

I have and I prefer inFamous. That said, I've only played Prototype for an hour and it has to be said that the first hour of inFamous (which I've finished) was pretty boring too. Maybe I'll go back to Prototype then.

However, inFamous clearly has more richly detailed visuals and its climbing/platforming dynamic is much more accurately realised. In Prototype you just seem to be bouncing around and over any obstacles - animation in this respect is nowhere near as good as inFamous.

However, inFamous clearly has more richly detailed visuals and its climbing/platforming dynamic is much more accurately realised. In Prototype you just seem to be bouncing around and over any obstacles - animation in this respect is nowhere near as good as inFamous.

Well once you get the shield power, you don't bounce over obstacles anymore, you can just bull through them with shield equipped. :) Then it's either smash through or climb.

But yeah, there's a simplicity in ground movements.

Air movements can be quite a bit more elaborate. But that mostly comes into play with the Events (challenges) if you want to get the gold rating.

Regards,
SB

Ugh, thank god for no QTEs.

Prototype has a lot of QTEs. There is "disable the sensor" mini game, special military unit (I don't remember the name) melee counters, vehicle hijacking or even consumes and throws.
I didn't really mind them, I just wanted proper blocks and counters.

After playing God of War. I liked the game but absolutely HATED the QTEs.
For me God of War I/II have by far the best QTEs, but it also has the worst QTEs (OOOOO....).
I hope they remove repeated single button mashing QTEs from the third one.

I would say that I am enjoying Prototype overall a bit more though Infamous has superior setting, storyline and pacing. What Prototype delivers in spades is the all out city wide demolishing madness that is a nice break from the day to day tediousness of life.

inFamous is an integrated cover shooter and platformer. This is very clear for anyone who has played it (even for a noob like me, and I'm only in mission 4 !). Trying to "whore" after the biggest and baddest weapon in a shooter is called a "Rocket Launcher whore" :) It will break the intended balance and fun. I think this is also the reason why Cole is vulnerable to normal attacks. I am surprised a professional game reviewer could not recognize the design. On top of this mechanics, Sucker Punch added the "detective/investigator" story, choices and character development. This layering helps to give the game more depth. The open world gives more opportunities for platforming.

If Prototype does not focus on this weapon balance, than it would be a different game altogether (e.g., hack-n-slash, destroy for fun, etc. etc.). It should be compared to other games like Hulk ? Crackdown ? If it does not focus on story elements and development also, then it should be compared to simpler and perhaps fast paced games. If it focuses on destruction, then may be it's a sandbox game.

Just pick your own poison.

I haven't played Prototype, so i can't really comment on that game, but I'm really, really enjoying Infamous. Excellent game.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/19/

20090619.jpg

It will be interesting how these games do in next month's NPD thread. I have seen quite a few tv commercials for Infamous, so hopefully it does well because it seems like a solid game.

Back