Is anyone else's 360 exceptionally loud?

Jack_Tripper

Newcomer
I had a launch 360 that finally RROD'd out on me and I went out an purchased a new elite! Overall - I really just wanted to get a model with an HDMI port (sick of using my VGA+stereo sound), and the bigger HDD was appealing - I updated everythign and got the new O/S - was excited to find out that you could install games (like me PS3 - which is appealing, if not a little lengthy) - but now when I play games...the thing spins up my (installed games) the whole time and it sounds louder than my last 360? I thought I might just have a defective unit, but went over to my buddies house and listened to hers and the damn thing is just as loud? Are we both just unlucky? Is it really going to be this loud when playing games off the HDD? I totally expected it to be nearly whisper (like on the dashboard) silent when playing from the hard drive...

Jack

That doesn't seem right. Whenever I play demos or live arcade that I've downloaded, the system is very quiet. I haven't tried an install, but I've heard the disc is supposed to stop spinning. Playing games off of the disc is another story.

That's my experience too! Every demo I play, the things pretty quiet - but even with an installed game, the darned thing just wont stop - and it sounds like it's spinning at full speed - which is wierd because even when I play off the disc it rarely does spin up that fast. I will say I enjoy the quicker load times (nothing extroirdnarily dramatic...but in NG2, for instance, it's better in mid-levl-loads). Is there some setting I have to use that I'm not???

I'd say it was just mine, but my friends does the exact same thing - she just turns up her surround louder :p

Jack

my elite is much quieter when playing from the HDD as I do all my games but since I now have it sitting right next to me (Lazy game disc sawp :)) I can certainly hear a clear whining noise that drones on (fans). It's not too bad (but would prefer if it were more quiet) and I didn't notice it AT ALL when it was in my entertainment system.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Falcon is about the same volume as my HP Pavilion desktop computer - i.e. it's a really subtle sound that my brain already learned to filter out. It actually pumps out more hot air than the PC, which makes my room hotter, but isn't any louder.

On the other hand, the Falcon's DVD drive is obnoxiously loud (again, just like my HP Pavilion computer). Some games spin the DVD faster than others; Fable 2 was the worst example I've experienced. So I routinely install my games to the HDD.

Ok, so I'm an idiot - I was playing the disc from the first prompt of the dashboard - I didn't realize you had to go into games, then select "Play from HDD"

Whisper quiet!

:)

Jack

Ok, so I'm an idiot - I was playing the disc from the first prompt of the dashboard - I didn't realize you had to go into games, then select "Play from HDD"

You shouldn't have to, I always play from the first prompt and if it is installed it doesn't spin the DVD up.

Cheers

Back