Opinions of this HardDrive?

Green means 5400 RPM more often than not, which of course means reduced performance. If you're ok with that then go for it.

Newegg are selling the Samsung 1Tb EcoGreen 5400rpm for $69 with promo code atm. Great for home servers or purely data drives.

I have a WD Green 1 TB (WD10EADS 32 MB cache) in my system right now.
Runs cool and quiet, using it to store all of my music/movies.

Thanks so much for your opinions.
Green means 5400 RPM more often than not, which of course means reduced performance. If you're ok with that then go for it.
Was more or less aware of this. Some performance hit, but its supposedly very efficient with its energy use. Worths something i guess :)
Newegg are selling the Samsung 1Tb EcoGreen 5400rpm for $69 with promo code atm. Great for home servers or purely data drives.
Too bad we have IP differences with newegg. Still i checked it out and it cost 80 and its sold out.
I have a WD Green 1 TB (WD10EADS 32 MB cache) in my system right now.
Runs cool and quiet, using it to store all of my music/movies.
Well i guess is between the 750 GB or the 1 TB Western Digital. The 1 TB costs me 20 U.S. more. What to do?
If i could find a good laser mouse for 20 it might steer me to the 750 GB version.

We'll see.

Oh god! Stay away from Seagate! People are still having issues with the 7200.11, even the newer 333 version with less platters. There are still some doubts about the newer 7200.12 due to the same design/manufacturing/firmware issues ie Seagate's business model seems to have become "do everything as cheaply as possible".

I'm glad BZB warned against Seagate already as I can add my own testimony as further reason not to use them.

The PC repair shop I work at goes through about 100 hard drives a month. We used Seagate exclusively for the last couple years . In recent months we've seen the quality of Seagate drives suffer tremendously. It's gotten so bad that I now have to test every new hard drive before it gets used. Sadly, we're looking at failure rates > 30% right now, and Seagate says these failures are acceptable. Not to us they aren't. We're switching to WD because they're the only reasonable alternative and in our testing so far the failure rate is in the single digits.

Note: these aren't catastrophic failures out of the box, these drives fail our sector-by-sector drive test (MHDD) even after a full low-level erasure and re-test. Sadly, even one slow sector on a drive is enough to cause data corruption. I've seen it happen in several customer systems recently after a fresh Windows reload. The system comes back to the shop in a few weeks or months with a BSOD/failed startup and a failing HD.

Thanks for the warnings BZB and ShaidarHaran.

Some hours after i posted about the Seagate i did a little reading about the questionable quality of the drives.

I think is the WD Green 1 TB. I mean i saw a Black Caviar 1 TB for 99, and as i understand is a performance drive. But im kind of atracted to the WD green low consumption and cool runing.

I had a 1TB WD Green burn up its pcb in an external "mybook" enclosure. I don't recommend it without good ventilation. There are plenty of good Seagates out there, but the .11 series is to be avoided at all costs.

I use a WD GP 500. Quiet, low power, cheap and more than fast enough for my uses.

An alternative is the 640GB Caviar Blue - around the same speed as the Caviar Black series but also pretty quiet and low power.

Has there ever been any clarification on the actual spindle speed of the GP series? All I can find are references to "IntelliPower" and statements like "somewhere between 5400 and 7200 RPM".

Has there ever been any clarification on the actual spindle speed of the GP series? All I can find are references to "IntelliPower" and statements like "somewhere between 5400 and 7200 RPM".

IIRC, they speed up and down as necessary, and seem to be able to mask this pretty well according to a lot of benchmarks. I guess they took the idea that your hard drives don't really need to be spinning at full speed most of the time, and worked that into their low power requirements.

IIRC, they speed up and down as necessary, and seem to be able to mask this pretty well according to a lot of benchmarks. I guess they took the idea that your hard drives don't really need to be spinning at full speed most of the time, and worked that into their low power requirements.

Investigations into this by SPCR seem to indicate that this claim from WD is a load of old tosh. Every GP disk they've tested has a large spike at 90Hz on the audio recording which they make which would indicate constant spindle speeds of 5400rpm for pretty much all of them. Performance on these disks is pretty good but I suppose WD didn't want to admit a slower spindle speed so fudged it by claiming "between 5400 and 7200".

IIRC, some of the Seagate Pipeline disks work at 5900rpm, but mostly all you find is 5400 or 7200rpm.

Speaking of SPCR, here's a recently posted review of the Samsung HD502HI single platter 500GB disk:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silent_Samsung_F2_EcoGreen_HD502HI

Pretty good performance due to data density in spite of the 5400rpm spindle speed so it looks like an excellent cheap, low-power and quiet disk.

ShaiderHaran that's quite a horror story you told us.

do you know if Hitachi behaves well? I've only bought Hitachi drives (first ones were IBM. that's a kind of IBM fetish as I love their monitors and keyboards)

Most of them failed in a catastrophic manner, around the dreaded 3 year mark. Of course I expect hdd to fail anyway and good drive stats are meaningless ; you have to back up (which I don't because I've yet to buy a new hard drive :))

right now a Hitachi 7K1000.B 1TB drive is at 70€ (cheapest drive), a WD green 80€, Samsung green inbetween, a 7200 rpm Samsung or Maxtor at 79€.

Blaz - we only use Hitachi when we need to get an HD immediately and have to purchase locally and there are no WD models of appropriate size and interface available. The few Hitachi drives we've used have yet to come back, but we've only used laptop drives from Hitachi so far.

I was thinking about buying their 1TB Deskstar model recently as I need to replace 2 slowly failing drives in spare PCs of mine (Seagate and Maxtor). Microcenter has the 1TB models listed for only $80 so I might just give them a shot. Between the "green" models and a full-blown 7200 RPM drive I'd take the 7200 RPM drive hands down for its performance characteristics.

Hitachi are supposed to be not bad. Not stellar performers, and the after-sales service isn't supposed to be great, but you never get lots of people talking about failures in forums like you do with the other makes.

Personally if I had to buy a drive today, I'd probably go WD black or green depending on requirements. Then Hitachi or Samsung, then Seagate/Maxtor (Seagate/Maxtor are the same company) in a distant last.

Ive got a couple of hitachi drives in my pc. apart from the stupid way you set it to sata 1 (would i love to slap the guy who came up with the idea) mode ive had no problems..

Probably not entirely valid to this thread but yesterday I upgraded my raid 0 from raptors to velociraptors 150 gb x 2 and the hard drive is unbelieveably quiet and well the performance is fo course...you know. AWesome.

Back