Nobody should buy a 360 ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is MSs way to win the console war by grossly inflating their sales figures with people buying several machines when they break.

By hook or by crook.....

Of course it "inflates" the numbers a bit, but the software sales show that the console sells enough games.

Maybe this is MSs way to win the console war by grossly inflating their sales figures with people buying several machines when they break.

By hook or by crook.....

And at the same time it's a reason to not even buy one. I know it's one of the reasons I'm not buying one, even though one of my colleagues is constantly pushing my to buy a 360. Having me play all the latest and greatest games on it, and saying how great it would be to be able to play them together more often. But his 360 has broken down several times already, and he's bought a spare for such a case. And hearing about people in his friendslist getting RRoD's. That gives me the perhaps wrongful impression that all these 360's will eventually breakdown, and even though the can be fixed for free, I'm not ready to wait weeks to get it back.

Well, not that it's any consolation but I've got a lauch 360 that's still going strong. And noone I know with a 360 (in RL) has gotten the RROD. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm going to turn on my 360 and have the RROD the next time I go to play something. :)

Oh wait, one relative did have a problem. His 360 got stolen... Not quite the same though. :)

Then again noone I know with a PS3 has had theirs break down either. Maybe we just live charmed lives.

Well, you can always look on the brightside. I believe you get a card worth 1 or 3 months Live Gold when you get your console back.

Regards,
SB

What hardware model of Elite do you have? It's likely a pre - Falcon model. The Falcon model substantially improved reliability. The newest model, Jasper, is even better.

Of my friends who have xb360, the ones with Falcon or Jasper models have had no issues at all. The ones with older models have had RRODs and/or needed their DVD drive replaced.

UPS picked up my Elite yesterday for repairing, it sucks but I have other things to do, so it doesn't really bother me that much. The most annoying part was to find a right size carton box for it... I did order the new MacBook Pro 13" for consolation though :)

If it would have broken on the eve of Mass Effect 2, then I might be close to as pissed as Rancid is though...

Well, my Elite 360 that I purchased in May 2008 and just suffered the RROD when I tried to enter into 1v100 tonight.

Which is just FABULOUS because unlike some people, I actually bought into MS's promises and used my 360 not only as a gaming machine but as the center point to my entire living room.

So, my whole weekend is now shot. Because not only can't I spend a few hours here or there playing video games, I can't access NETFLIX which is actually where I get the most use out of my console.

So now, I'm paying for a LIVE account, I'm paying for a NETFLIX streaming account, and I have absolutely ZERO entertainment options for this weekend and the next TWO to FOUR weeks.

I feel like a complete HEEL for thinking that all the RROD stories were embellished, planted by Sony fanboys, or wouldn't effect me because my console was 2nd or 3rd generation so the problems would be fixed.

HA!

I'm a tool.

$449 for a console that a little over a year later is completely unusable.

Great. Hell, even when my Atari 2600 or my NES glitched, all I had to do was blow some air on the cartridge or the slot.

At least when I had disk read errors on my PS2 (all three of them) or my Xbox, it only seemed to effect certain games and I could still boot the consoles.

I haven't decided yet to buy a PS3 after the upcoming price drop or just go back to PC gaming, but you can be damn sure I'm not paying my LIVE! subscription renewal that just renewed TWO DAYS AGO.

Quarter till 9pm on a Friday night, I just spent about an hour today managing my netflix que so I had movies to stream for tonight and tomorrow and now I've got NOTHING. No games to play, no movies to watch.

I guess that's the wonderful thing about having a single console that provides you with everything. When it fails, you might as well pull out monopoly or the rest of the board games because that's all you're left with.

Yeah that must suck. Mine is still going strong, but if it dies I will not spend a single dime more on anything related to the XBOX360. MS' hardware quality is beyond a joke this generation and I'm not going to condone it by giving them more of my money if it breaks down.

I just pray it will last through Mass Effect 2! hehe :)

How much does MS charge when your warrenty expires? Mines is a launch unit and it broke down recently. I'm in no hurry to fix it.

Of my friends who have xb360, the ones with Falcon or Jasper models have had no issues at all.
I don't think your sample size is big enough to paint any kind of accurate picture here. Even if you had 50 friends with new 360s (which frankly would be unbelievable) it wouldn't be enough.

My launch 360 still works, but that's perhaps more because I never use it, and probably never will again either after I broke the harddrive because the damn "new experience" introduction movie just kept on going and going and GOING without the possibility of being interrupted.

So in Rancid's words... Screw that.

I'll never buy another MS console again. I seriously believe they'll be the ruin of us all, MS simply wants total control of the entire computer/media/entertainment sector - costs and ethics be damned - and I'm not going to be a part in helping them with that.

Limited/short warranty, when it breaks it is not user servicable, long wait times for refurb etc. So much money for such cheap quality... ughhh

Btw wasn't xbox also plagued with failures, especially the black xbox aswell as PS2. And PS3..

Limited/short warranty, when it breaks it is not user servicable, long wait times for refurb etc. So much money for such cheap quality... ughhh

Btw wasn't xbox also plagued with failures, especially the black xbox aswell as PS2. And PS3..

Various consoles throughout the years have been plagued with failures though I dont believe that the original Xbox had many issues. The PS and PS2 both had their share of issues though not to the extent of the 360 (but considerable regardless). I see more and more PS3 YLOD issues across the net but, I cant imagine the system ever being considered unreliable (as it seems to be the most reliable home console Sony has ever released).

I'm not about to even attempt to defend MS's build quality issues. They suck. It's a perfectly valid reason to not want to buy the console, though in my mind it's not an overwhelming reason. My thinking here being if you really want a 360, but won't buy one because you may find yourself unable to play it for a couple of weeks at some point, how are you in a better situation by not buying it and therefore not being able to play it at all?

Anyway - for me the solution has been purchasing and renewing an extended warranty from Best Buy. This is normally something I wouldn't do, but given the 360 deficiencies I decided to shell out the $50 at purchase for 2 years of coverage (I have since renewed and it's now $60 for 2 years). My 360 gets RROD? I pack it up (minus the hard drive), bring it back to the store and they give me a brand new one off the shelf (with the hard drive removed as they don't replace any part of the original equipment you don't return). I have had to do this twice and each time, not only has the problem been fixed, I got a newer revision of the hardware, as well.

No. Actually, the original XBOX was a tank. I have a unit purchased 1 week after launch that still works.

Actually, the original XBOX was a tank.
You must have missed all the issues with sparking original xbox power supplies and Thompson DVD drives in particular, possibly other makes as well... HOCP had 2 xboxes that spontaneously burst into flames. (!)

I haven't used my 360 since Fable 2 came out and then I only played for an hour or so before the noise did my head in. At the moment it's just gathering dust in a down stairs bedroom.

My PS3 sits upstairs streaming films and music all day we are also using Vidzone quite a lot since it came out. I games most nights and when it's not being used it's folding.

Admittedly it is my second. My original launch unit died but that was my fault. It never once got switched off and was a 24\7 folder, something it wasn't really designed to do!

The 360 just feels cheap and fragile in comparison!

FTR my PS3 and my mate's PS3 both had BRD failures. PS3 has its fair share of problems. Though it is certainly built better. PS3's mobo is a thing of beauty versus XB360's rough collection of components! (have we any mobo shots of the latest boards BTW?)

You must have missed all the issues with sparking original xbox power supplies and Thompson DVD drives in particular, possibly other makes as well... HOCP had 2 xboxes that spontaneously burst into flames. (!)

I and every other person I know who owned an XBOX never had a hardware problem. Anecdotal evidence being what it is, I'll leave it at that. *My* XBOX was by far the most problem-free console I have ever owned.

I and every other person I know who owned an XBOX never had a hardware problem. Anecdotal evidence being what it is, I'll leave it at that. *My* XBOX was by far the most problem-free console I have ever owned.

The original Xbox does seem a poor choice as an example for claiming 'things just break'. There will always be incidents, but on the whole I reckon these were among the better built consoles. I don't get the impression that my personal 2 launch models that still work fine are in any way exceptional.

On the other hand, my PS3 has already died once and was replaced with a refurb (bleh).

Sure, things break sometimes. But you're not comparing Sony's failure rate at less than 3% with MS's failure rate at around 30%, are you? Big difference, if you ask me.

I've had 2 original Xboxes. The first one I replaced the Thomson DVD on it a year after the 1 year warranty expired. I still have it, but the drive needs replaced again. The 2nd original Xbox never had a problem, but I traded it off later before I ever had problems with it.

As for the Xbox 360, I've had 3 different ones. Never once got the RROD. The first one I had for almost 3 years before the DVD drive went out. By this time I learned to keep Microsoft's extended warranty. I sent it off the week of Thanksgiving & I got back a different refurbished unit a week later. It was the easiest & quickest turn around. I have since sold my refurb, but I never did have a problem with it & it was even manufactured in 2005. My current one is the black Elite & I have yet to have problems with it either. It was manufactured late last October. It's not a Jasper. Currently the only Elite Jaspers out there on the market are the red RE5 bundles. The newest black bundles with Halo 3 & Fable 2 are still older manufactured units, even older than mine. Check out www.360drives.com. My unit is listed on there.

Rancid, I know you're totally pissed off at Microsoft at the moment, but I hope that you will call Microsoft immediately(they even work today) & get yourself a prepaid shipping label. They quit sending the free boxes(coffins). Send it off ASAP & hopefully when it gets back, which should be less than a week, we can play Halo3, 1vs100 or whatever. I'll make it up to you & let you win. It will be a blast I promise! ;)

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back