It was only a matter of time

WaltC said:
But John, this assumes that paper trade mags like MPC are the only source of information for the bulk of its readership.

Walt, there've been too many studies done that show how easily influence people are by things they read in print.

John Reynolds said:
WaltC said:
But John, this assumes that paper trade mags like MPC are the only source of information for the bulk of its readership.

Walt, there've been too many studies done that show how easily influence people are by things they read in print.

I agree, but I was only saying they can read the Internet print, as well...;)

John Reynolds said:
I wonder if ATI management is considering dropping out of FM's beta program now?

As I've said in the past ATI leaving won't help their bottom line or diminish the misperceptions people have because of FM. Although cheating may not be the most ethical thing to do, ATI should. If FM won't enforce a level playing field, ATI should level it for them. Until FM has a financial reason to act, they won't. And at this point should anyone care about the well being of FM.

Fred da Roza said:
John Reynolds said:
I wonder if ATI management is considering dropping out of FM's beta program now?
If FM won't enforce a level playing field, ATI should level it for them. Until FM has a financial reason to act, they won't. And at this point should anyone care about the well being of FM.
I'm also thinking that cheating will be much complicated for ATI that for nVidia. Clipping-Planes apart, nVidia could easyly gain some performance rewriting shaders for different registry use, or forcing partial precision. Those tricks won't work for ATI.
But surely there is something that can be done, sacrificing some IQ.
Maybe ATI could do some work on a next version of Catalyst and then come out loudly saying that they ARE optimizing specifically for 3DMark, for providing a leveled playing field.
Or may be they could try the plug-in way, as I humbly hipotized here (is that such a bad idea?).

Edit: Never mind... probably that is really a bad idea! :)

Bye!

I m a little surprised that S3/VIA is not a Beta member of FManymore,I remember S3/VIA is on the list just one month back.

Does S3/VIA quit FM Beta program?

Hope Worm or Patric Can confirm it.

I'm wondering if getting S3/VIA back on the (rocking) beta member boat will be a new "top priority" for FutureMark... :oops:

Mark0 said:
Fred da Roza said:
John Reynolds said:
If FM won't enforce a level playing field, ATI should level it for them. Until FM has a financial reason to act, they won't. And at this point should anyone care about the well being of FM.
I'm also thinking that cheating will be much complicated for ATI that for nVidia. Clipping-Planes apart, nVidia could easyly gain some performance rewriting shaders for different registry use, or forcing partial precision. Those tricks won't work for ATI.
But surely there is something that can be done, sacrificing some IQ.
Maybe ATI could do some work on a next version of Catalyst and then come out loudly saying that they ARE optimizing specifically for 3DMark, for providing a leveled playing field.
Or may be they could try the plug-in way, as I humbly hipotized here (is that such a bad idea?).

Edit: Never mind... probably that is really a bad idea! :)

Bye!

They should just remove 95% of the colour, say it's a driver bug, and anyway they like benchmark noir. That ought to bump up the scores.

Quitch said:
They should just remove 95% of the colour, say it's a driver bug, and anyway they like benchmark noir. That ought to bump up the scores.

Yeah! Black is better for benchmarking. It leave out unmeaningful IQ questions, freeing the raw power!
:D :D :D :D

Bye!

Rookie said:
I m a little surprised that S3/VIA is not a Beta member of FManymore,I remember S3/VIA is on the list just one month back.

I guess S3 wants to cheat in their drivers....

Anyone knows why both XGI and Trident are listed in the beta program? I thought XGI bought Trident.

Back