Battlefield 3 announced

Is this game dead? No one playing?

Some rounds of aftermath. Love the crossbow. But unlocking new arrow types seems ridiculous hard...boooo!

I for one have been playing this consistently since launch. There's still tons of servers running.

The Aftermath maps are sweet and I really enjoy Scavenger mode. If you're looking for handgun ribbons, play that mode. You rack them up pretty easily since a large amount of your kills are from handguns.

I have the following problem: I recently got a new GTX 670, after my GTX480 had a heat problem. I have the newest drivers installed. When playing BF3, it happened two times that my computer crashed after over an hour of playing without issuese. Without an error, computer just restarted.

BF3 is the only game where this happened so far. Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, BLOPS 2 no problems so far. Could it be that my new graphics card is damaged? Or is it more likely that this problem is related to BF3. I googled a bit, and some BF3 forum posts suggest that it may indeed be a problem for the GTX670 as lots of people having problems with BF3.

Any thoughts?

BF3 is the only game where this happened so far. Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, BLOPS 2 no problems so far. Could it be that my new graphics card is damaged? Or is it more likely that this problem is related to BF3. I googled a bit, and some BF3 forum posts suggest that it may indeed be a problem for the GTX670 as lots of people having problems with BF3.

Any thoughts?

Colleague has the same problem ever since he shifted from a 4870 to a 670.
He says the latest beta's (310.70) fixes that issue (it should be in the patch note), but he hasn't been able to play much since that driver came out, so i'm not sure if that's proof positive.

Sounds to me like a problem with the drivers.

@billy
it maybe is the problem of both. BF3 and hardware.

at least in my case, it is both.

my 2 years old laptop is using intel CPU that should slow down when overheat. But if playing BF3, it will keep running over 100celcius then finally BSOD or restart or just completely froze up.

the solution is cleaning my laptop extensively.
this did not happend in other games or apps. Just on BF3 and CoD4 that the cpu failed to slow down.

this did not happend in other games or apps. Just on BF3 and CoD4 that the cpu failed to slow down.
Neither of those games is very CPU intensive at all. Considering it's a laptop, I think it's more likely another component (i.e. a discrete GPU?) that's heating up the whole system beyond its ability to cool.

bf3 is very cpu intensive. as for cod4, yeah it's not cpu intensive but my Intel have bad habit in running at high clock when running single thread game as in cod4.

it's actually good trick to boost single thread performance but it still need to slow down when it overheat

in my case, they just keep switching multiplier from low then high again.

I did uninstall MSI Afterburner/Kombusror and made a clean install of the newest beta driver. Played BF3 today (have now the Xbow with HE bolt and Radio bolt...working towards sniper bolt) and no crash today.

Don't know. Don't understand whats going on. Just hoping for a stable and nice gaming experience. But, maybe PC gaming is just to complicated for me...

I used to game a lot on my xbox 360 and in my experience gaming on that console was not more reliable than gaming on my PC. My PC is from back then is still going strong playing games at far better than console settings, while most of my friends have gone through multiple xb360s.

I sold my 360 before it broke :devilish:

I sold my 360 before it broke :devilish:

This! :)

I've had loads of shit after my windows crashed earlier this week.. re-installed BF3 about 3 times (and deleted files -> repair) because I would spawn without a gun.. or a gun once, then nothing the next spawn.

After trying to go through everything (configs, language files, models) ... I updated punkbuster and lo and behold.. issue solved.

And here I go, thinking that when I install punkbuster with the Aftermath patch.. it was the latest version :(

Xbox game have bugs but usually easily fixed with install or update,

example on eternal sonatas, the game will freeze at boot if not updated or not installed.

halo something, it load slow if installed, uninstall and all ok

call of duty have horrible lag. easiest solution is sell the Xbox version and buy the pc version.

btw Xbox failure rate is really annoying. it have overheat auto shutdown but won't auto shutdown most of the time.

Generally if you find a bug in a console game you have the option of playing something else and hoping for a patch or ignore the bug and keep playing or keep trying hopelessly to fix it yourself. Abort Retry Fail.

On PC you can usually fix things yourself, and patches are more frequent since they don't have to be validated by a 3rd party.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on your experience level with PC gaming. What may be an obvious fix to me might take my brother an hour of googling to work out. That is a big "problem" with PC gaming - barriers to entry can be high. Valve is trying to solve this.

Unless you run into the dreaded no sound bug in BF3... that one's a bitch :oops:

Game crashed again. Red screen. Had to restart the computer. Exactly the same issue as people reported on the forums with GTX670. After one year, no intention from the dev to make a patch. Game would make fun...if it would not break my PC.

So, were is this lazy dev thread...

I have a GTX670 and no problems. What does the rest of your system look like?

I have

i5-3550
8GB RAM
180GB Intel 330 series SSD
Gigabyte Z77 mobo
Win7 x64 Pro.

I have a GTX670 and no problems. What does the rest of your system look like?

I have

i5-3550
8GB RAM
180GB Intel 330 series SSD
Gigabyte Z77 mobo
Win7 x64 Pro.

I have:

EVGA GTX670
i7 930 @2.8GHz
6GB RAM
60GB OCZ AGILITY2 SSD (for OS, which is Win7 x64 Pro)
1.2 TB SAMSUNG whatever (were I have steam installed and all games)

How long are your BF3 gaming sessions typically? I had today a gaming session with over 2hours when it happened. Yesterday was about an hour gaming...no problem.

How long are your BF3 gaming sessions typically? I had today a gaming session with over 2hours when it happened. Yesterday was about an hour gaming...no problem.

Not usually longer than an hour. Maybe that's it.

I would probably play longer if you guys were ever on at the same time as me :(

i miss my BF3 marathon.

when i get home this mid-dec i hope i can play it for many hours straight before stopped again (15 hours per month internet quota haha)

Oh boy, played another round yesterday. Did try out a recommendation I read in the webz about GK104 red screen. Used a custom fan curve to keep it cooler and prevent it from downclocking at high temperature.
Got a blue screen of death after an hour or so.

Got red screen, black screen, blue screen of death so far. All while playing BF3, nothing when playing FC3 or BL2.

I checked my power supply and it is a Cougar S700 (700 Watt). This should be enough for my system and enough for my EVGA GTX670 (which according to the webz needs 500 Watt power supply min).

Maybe I have to return my 670?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back