Battlefield 3 announced

1: Don't understand your question.

2: Kill BF3 process? Restart Origin? Restart browser?

You can get rid of the message by simply closing the game from the browser itself. Yes, getting it running smoothly was a painful process for me too consisting of meaningless appcrashes and errors, so I can understNd your pIn. It took nearly two weeks for me to get it running fine ! Good luck to you too !

You won't need flowers, just a lot of patience ! Jist pray you don't run into all the troubles I ran into ;) !

Nutball, that is your worst gaming experience in 20 years? :p

You never tried playing *any* DOS game (DOOM, GP2, etc.) through a modem back in the early 90's right? Or heck, setting up a null-modem cable connection to play DOOM between two computers? You could play for hours on end without a problem then one of you would sneeze and you'd spend twice as many hours debugging the problem which would always magically sort itself when the planets aligned.

Or when Pools of Radiance deleted your C:\ drive because you happen to chose the "Custom Installation" instead of the "Tipical Installation".

Heh, relax. I'd look into your browser add-ons / extensions and if nothing strikes your fancy, try it in IE9. See if your anti-virus is blocking/scanning some of the files, etc.

Nutball, that is your worst gaming experience in 20 years? :p

Life is supposed to get better as time progresses. Once upon a time, back in Cave Man BC, it was fifty-fifty whether you'd eat your dinner, or your dinner would eat you. Today you can quite happily put dinner in the microwave without too many concerns that it's going to try to switch places with you. Not if you follow the instructions on the packet at least.

I used to type games in from magazines. After that I had to load them from cassette tape (which was better, though not good). Then I loaded them from 5.25" floppy disc, which was much better. Then 3.5" disc, then CD, then DVD, and apart from the copy protection irritation this has been fine.

Right now I feel like I'm back in the late 80's, trying to get this game to work reliably. The game/process/browser fiddling, it's like when I used to have to lean on my cassette player to get it to play the tape with just the right tone for it to be recognised.

Anyway, gotta go shoot some things.

Life is supposed to get better as time progresses. Once upon a time, back in Cave Man BC, it was fifty-fifty whether you'd eat your dinner, or your dinner would eat you. Today you can quite happily put dinner in the microwave without too many concerns that it's going to try to switch places with you. Not if you follow the instructions on the packet at least.

I used to type games in from magazines. After that I had to load them from cassette tape (which was better, though not good). Then I loaded them from 5.25" floppy disc, which was much better. Then 3.5" disc, then CD, then DVD, and apart from the copy protection irritation this has been fine.

Right now I feel like I'm back in the late 80's, trying to get this game to work reliably. The game/process/browser fiddling, it's like when I used to have to lean on my cassette player to get it to play the tape with just the right tone for it to be recognised.

Anyway, gotta go shoot some things.

I feel old now :(

repi,

What is the reasoning about no voice chat built into the game? It really kills teamwork which has always been the strongest draw of the BF series.

I had the same problem with my Speccy. Back then you'd wait minutes for the game to load and then fail in the last second of tape. :p

Anyway, are you playing as Admin? With or without UAC? I read standard users/UAC causes problems for Origin in some configurations.

It seems like I'm actually getting significantly worse performance with the new 12.12 preview drivers (compared to the hacky beta ones that I was using before with the 7970). Anyone else notice this? It might be a 7970 specific thing, but I don't really want to roll back because the previous drivers were a lot glitchier (textures flashing, etc. even on the windows desktop).

Huge Patch is Huge!

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654779195992365/
15088959.jpg

Wow lots of changes! Mostly good IMHO, although I'm not totally sure if I like the flares distracting laser-guided missiles thing. I liked the flares/heatseekers vs laser/smoke dichotomy. It shouldn't be possible to just have an "I win" button that gets you out of everything. Furthermore it's always best to err on the side of underpowered air since they can dominate way too easily if not heavily checked by counters.

Looking forward to trying this out!

I haven't had time to read it all (it's HUGE dude!) but I'm very happy to see the spawn tweaks. A solid 30% of my deaths occur 0.5 seconds after spawning. That fade from black is especially infuriating and I wish they'd do away with it; I don't buy their explanation for only reducing it slightly, I'd rather see textures streaming in AND an enemy right in front of me when I spawn instead of purty pictures when I'm lying on the floor bleeding.

What I'd like to also see (again, I didn't read it all but it seemed the part I didn't get around to were weapon/accessory tweaks) is revive indicator changes. I don't need to see revive icons for team mates I'm so far away that even if I was using a jet I couldn't get there in time! I also wish there was a way to avoid another 20% of my deaths which are to due to running into the line of fire, debribilators in hand, jump towards a fellow team mate's limp body only to have him spawn 0.1 seconds before I revive; THEN I get a rocket to the face. :devilish: If BF had spawn waves like ET this wouldn't happen.

A third tweak I'd like to see is on the deploy menus. My screen is over half empty and I'd much rather have a fuller single menu than having to go to customise > loadout > accessories. Or bloody hell, change the camo right from the customisation screen paperdoll! Click on map's flags to spawn, hide locked squads from view, etc. etc.

Fourth is the usual suspect: builtin voicecoms so I won't dwell.

Regardless, BF3 rocks hard. These changes are very welcome but the game is awesomely playable. Anyone that argues otherwise probably hasn't experienced many other team MP games at lauch time (including DICE's); BF2 1.0 was at best comical.

What I'd like to also see (again, I didn't read it all but it seemed the part I didn't get around to were weapon/accessory tweaks) is revive indicator changes. I don't need to see revive icons for team mates I'm so far away that even if I was using a jet I couldn't get there in time!
Having the circle around the revive indicator tick down like the objective indicators do seems like the obvious thing to do, but I'll never put it past Dice to overlook the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the circle around the revive indicator tick down to like the objective indicators do seems like the obvious thing to do, but I'll never put it past Dice to overlook the obvious.

Another "brilliant" idea would be not to allow spawning on squad-mates that are fully-surpressed. It happens so often that I spawn in literally stare down the barrel of a T-90 that's happily blasting out of all two.

I don't see any reason to take away the option to spawn on people in such situations. You can see what the people you can spawn on are up to, and Its not like the game forces you to spawn.

A solid 30% of my deaths occur 0.5 seconds after spawning. ... I also wish there was a way to avoid another 20% of my deaths which are to due to running into the line of fire, debribilators in hand ...
You must play awful maps like Metro :p (or other small maps with too many players.) Just avoid that crap like the plague and you won't have many spawn issues. I might also suggest not running into fire to revive someone :) I used to do that a lot but killing the other guy(s) first works out better in practice since invariably you'll both die vs. any semi-decent opponent even if you do get the revive off.

I feel like the 2 second spawn protection thing could be abused by training yourself not to move after spawning and lining up head-shots while people spray at you, but I doubt it'll be a big issue in practice.

Click on map's flags to spawn
THIS x100!!

Regardless, BF3 rocks hard. These changes are very welcome but the game is awesomely playable. Anyone that argues otherwise probably hasn't experienced many other team MP games at lauch time (including DICE's); BF2 1.0 was at best comical.
Totally agreed. Honestly we're talking about relative minutia at this stage. Even with all the legitimate criticisms one can level at it, it's still in a class of it's own above every other MP game out there as far as I'm concerned.

The patch seems to focus most of the big changes on air and how it interacts with ground/AA. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I certainly hope we don't end up with over-powered air because that ruins a game *real* fast. Even though I love flying, it's clear that air will always need some really hard counters to keep it in check given all of the gigantic advantages of moving across the map quickly, seeing everything, being relatively immune to small arms fire, powerful weapons, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must play awful maps like Metro :p (or other small maps with too many players.) Just avoid that crap like the plague and you won't have many spawn issues.

Heh. I'm mostly on 64 player servers running Caspian, Firestorm, Sharqi, Wake and Oman. I like Metro but I do chuckle when I see servers running Metro Conquest with 64 players. My spawn deaths are mostly due to the annoying black fade out than takes forever plus their current 1 second invulnerability timer (which is mostly taken up by the blackness anyway!).

I might also suggest not running into fire to revive someone :) I used to do that a lot but killing the other guy(s) first works out better in practice since invariably you'll both die vs. any semi-decent opponent even if you do get the revive off.

Sure, but not when going against engineers that mistake my ass for a tank and pelter me with RPGs or fully blown tanks. I don't mind dying to revive someone, I do it all the time but I almost send my mouse flying when I sacrifice myself half a second after my dead team mate respawned. In ETQW you could choose to wait for a medic for the entire round if you wanted or kill yourself permanently to prevent medics from trying to revive you.

I feel like the 2 second spawn protection thing could be abused by training yourself not to move after spawning and lining up head-shots while people spray at you, but I doubt it'll be a big issue in practice.

With the blackness still remaining that'll be close to 1.5 seconds anyway. grrrr

repi,

What is the reasoning about no voice chat built into the game? It really kills teamwork which has always been the strongest draw of the BF series.

Maybe you should be playing with me?? I am sure this is in place to return you to the proper place to play with me. Thank repi for supporting me in these efforts!

Heh. I'm mostly on 64 player servers running Caspian, Firestorm, Sharqi, Wake and Oman.
Fair enough; I'm just surprised you die so often after spawning then (1/3 of the time seems like a lot!). Normally there are only a few players at a given point on those huge maps so even if I spawn on a point that is actively being captured or on a squad member that is near enemies, I rarely die right away. Then again, I do try to avoid spawning on friendlies who look like they are within seconds of death anyways :)

Sure, but not when going against engineers that mistake my ass for a tank and pelter me with RPGs or fully blown tanks.
Lol, well at least we're getting the splash nerf vs. infantry that seems to come after a while in every Battlefield game. I don't know why they keep thinking "oh this time people won't bother using RPGs vs. infantry..." :p Frankly RPGs should have a big suppression effect, but minimal splash and damage vs. infantry IMHO. That'd make them a useful tool for building destruction and such, but not a backup sniper rifle for engis ;) To be fair though, they're not *that* bad now. Not nearly as bad as Carl G's in BC2 used to be heh.

Frankly speaking, RPGs should not be nerfed. If a sniper can kill a guy from a distance, whats wrong with RPGs? If an RPG is good at cleaning off a squad hunched together, just like a grenade, then why not use it?
I know it is abused, but personally,I feel more wrath towards snipers, since you can't even tell where they are! At least , with RPGs, you can clearly see a trail of smoke, exactly pin pointing to the spammer's position. Its not as if RPG guys are invincible.

On another note, I think the best way to level up quickly is to play as medic in a 56/64 player Conquest on Metro. Just stay at a choke point and keep throwing med kits and keep reviving every sucker that dies and watch the points roll in without firing a single shot ;) ! Its a very amusing way to enjoy the chaos that ensues there !

How is the leveling compared to the release version? I have been sick lately but hope to play some in the near future. One of my biggest gripes is I don't get to play as much as I would like and the leveling/unlocking is... annoying. Ok, it is the #1 reason not to play for me. With the CoD games I always felt like the unlocks were like crack. With BF3 I feel like I entered the despicable world of MMO grinding + it sucked that great teamwork combos (e.g. SOFLAM with JAV) were unlocked stuff. Grrrrr

So has this changed some?

Back