Battlefield 3 announced

use the powers of deduction
first attempt spam the right button
second attempt spam the left button
can you guess suggestion 3 ;)

You know I would be more interested in an update for MSAA that does proper tonemapping, even if it incurs a perf hit. In a couple of years we'll be laughing at how fast our HD8870 runs this game anyway.

Dont care about 8870 and few years ;p, its not for SP, but in MP shimmering from jaggies, especially from distant lower LOD geometry is really annoying. Also compromising too much performance is not an option for me, not in MP where i need 60fps, so the question remains :p

Dont care about 8870 and few years ;p, its not for SP, but in MP shimmering from jaggies, especially from distant lower LOD geometry is really annoying.
Right - no post-processing technique will ever solve that problem (!). So join the bandwagon and argue for improved MSAA instead :) Sure the techniques that start to incorporate multiple MSAA samples can be applied, but that's gravy. They would still have exactly the same issue if the fundamental MSAA tone mapping stuff is not addressed.

Subjective rant on art style - honestly, don't read this:

On the subject of tone mapping, I think most people agree that seeing BF3 without the bloom, glare, desaturation, glare and glare passes it looks a hell of a lot nicer, at least in the stills in Repi's slideshow. Reminds me of Carmack's comment on tone mapping in Rage, which was along the lines of - "All these artists create this great stuff, and then someone who knows more about this stuff than me decides to put a ton of post filters on it - I personally don't like it". I think Repi showed the pre-fucked stages because he secretly desires people to say "Hey! What the hell DICE? Who let the monkeys do the last bit and ruin all your good work?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - no post-processing technique will ever solve that problem (!). So join the bandwagon and argue for improved MSAA instead :) Sure the techniques that start to incorporate multiple MSAA samples can be applied, but that's gravy. They would still have exactly the same issue if the fundamental MSAA tone mapping stuff is not addressed.

Yep it wont, but cheaper use of 2xMSAA in SMAA, downsampling from a little higher resolution + TAA should do better job than current BF 3 AA setup and current FXAA in BF 3 blurs textures too much [FXAA 4 wont blur at all], so still my question remains ;)

Ps. Of course improved MSAA will be also welcomed :)

Subjective rant on art style - honestly, don't read this:

On the subject of tone mapping, I think most people agree that seeing BF3 without the bloom, glare, desaturation, glare and glare passes it looks a hell of a lot nicer, at least in the stills in Repi's slideshow. Reminds me of Carmack's comment on tone mapping in Rage, which was along the lines of - "All these artists create this great stuff, and then someone who knows more about this stuff than me decides to put a ton of post filters on it - I personally don't like it". I think Repi showed the pre-fucked stages because he secretly desires people to say "Hey! What the hell DICE? Who let the monkeys do the last bit and ruin all your good work?"

Link to the screens pls. I want to see them too :p !

The whole talk is interesting stuff, plus you get to see what repi looks like in real... link.

If you want to go straight to the comparisons:

Go to the 5:00 mark for the step by step on how they composite the final image. The final image looks great... for a shot in a movie or cutscene... Steps 14 and 15 (around 7m30s) look great for a computer game. Anyway, this is all IMO of course and I'm sure some people love it. I did too at first, but then after playing the game it just gets in the way. Sharqi is my favourite map in BF3 but is practically black and white which detracts from the experience. There is a colour injection mod that looks pretty nice, but I won't use it until it gets the all clear from Punkbuster/DICE/EA.

The whole talk is interesting stuff, plus you get to see what repi looks like in real... link.

If you want to go straight to the comparisons:

Go to the 5:00 mark for the step by step on how they composite the final image. The final image looks great... for a shot in a movie or cutscene... Steps 14 and 15 (around 7m30s) look great for a computer game. Anyway, this is all IMO of course and I'm sure some people love it. I did too at first, but then after playing the game it just gets in the way. Sharqi is my favourite map in BF3 but is practically black and white which detracts from the experience. There is a colour injection mod that looks pretty nice, but I won't use it until it gets the all clear from Punkbuster/DICE/EA.
Yeah ! I prefer the eithout colour grading+bloom screen too. All those post effect lens flares, dust on cam, and over tweaked colours do get in the way hile playing. Watching the gfx without them shows how beautiful it could have looked, but they made n artistic choice . Can't blame them for it as it does provide BF3 a unique look. But its the sunlight in the game which makes me go WOW, not the whole scene per se. Does the PC version have an option to turn off post fx like old POP and NFS games used too?

And I share ur thoughts on Sharqi Peninsula too, I was fiddling with my TV settings thniking that the contrast had got messed up somehow :???: !
Edit: BTW, look at Repi's monitor setup :oops: !

now I am rather sure that the SOFLAM is buggy! or does anyone have an explanation for when you get points with the SOFLAM?

@repi:
I tested it together with a buddy...he gets tons of kills, hits, disable vehicle etc and of course points, while I get nothing using the SOFLAM...sporadically, I sometimes get assist points (up to now, I don't know when I get the assist points...it just seems random)...but 99% of the time, I get nothing.

Furthermore, the automatic mode is buggy as well...I don't even get the mark points, when I don't actually use the SOFLAM...

also, we tested several different maps (new, and old maps).

I hope a fix of the SOFLAM gets out asap, because it seems to me that this is the reason, no one uses the SOFLAM.

Yeah it's a little buggy. More concerning to me is the obvious performance drop-off when zooming in. I don't understand the reason for that... the frustum obviously becomes longer, but narrower too. Not really sure why performance needs to suffer when zoomed. Perhaps repi could explain.
Yes I get the fps drop too. Seems stupid since all I see on the screen is a low res texture low poly flickering mess.

Done...

FWIW Billy I use SOFLAM quite regularly with a bunch of mates on Teamspeak. I get quite a lot of points with it - never noticed not getting any. Are you sure the kills are happening from your laser designation? I tend also to manually control the SOFLAM pretty much all the time... perhaps it gives you less points on automatic.

On another note, check this vid out... I'm linking rather than embedding because you'll want to watch it full screen.

Done...

FWIW Billy I use SOFLAM quite regularly with a bunch of mates on Teamspeak. I get quite a lot of points with it - never noticed not getting any. Are you sure the kills are happening from your laser designation. I tend also to manually control the SOFLAM pretty much all the time... perhaps it gives you less points on automatic.

On another note, check this vid out... I'm linking rather than embedding because you'll want to watch it full screen.
AFAIK it doesn't give any points on automatic.

Back