Battlefield 3 announced

Is that a dildo at the upper left corner of that pic ? :LOL:

Close!

it's the all-girls-fun Bubble Sword! ( I know, bad name!)

DSC05592.jpg

Repi, if you still are monitoring this thread, can you say if this game uses DX11 multithreaded rendering?

I have seen many users on different forums claiming that it does..
However, Civilization V uses DX11 multithreaded rendering and Nvidia has a big advantage in benchmarks for that game, but Battlefield 3 performs about the same on AMD and Nvidia hardware, which made me wonder if it's all user made-up

No we do not use it, the way current drivers implement it is just slower for us. What I talked about at GDC still applies :(
Slide #34 in this presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/directx-11-rendering-in-battlefield-3

Instead we have some awesome instancing that significantly reduces CPU overhead on both low-end and high-end machines and prevent you from being that CPU limited which is very visible in the benchmarks. Overall actually a more efficient solution that multi-threaded rendering dispatch, but not as general, but we did find some great use for it.

So repi, even though NVIDIA supports it (DX11 multithreading) they don't support it in a way that would be beneficial?

Civ5 performance is very strange but definitely better with NVIDIA hardware from what I've seen.

I am sorry but you are just plain wrong. Good squad composition can dramaticly change game result. Too few engis can be as bad as too many.
During the game, definitely. For the first spawn, it doesn't make a significant difference. There's no tool that the other classes have that is critical in the initial push. All you need is good sprint, automatic rifles and some amount of anti-vehicle (depending on the map). Engi provides all these. After the initial push of course you want to diversify but it doesn't take long to die the first time...

Because its your opinion against mine, lest do some RL testing and play caspian for few hours together. If at any time we will see 30+ mines in one location i will send you a bottle of good alcohol of your preference.
I don't drink, but thanks anyways :) Anyways it happened just the other day to me on Caspian on a 64 player server. Several engis kept respawning hill and laying down all their mines, then dying and repeating. Doesn't take much of that to get 30 mines there. It doesn't happen in every game, but it's certainly not difficult to accomplish or particular rare.

I am sorry but I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you implying that on average you get way more than two vehicle kills with mines per 15-20 mins? If yes please show me how you do it in game.
... yeah I certainly get more than 1-2 kills on average with mines (I wouldn't say "way", but 2 kills would be low). I don't do anything particularly special: just take the extra explosives and try to put mines in holes or shadowed areas to make them a bit less obviously. It helps to hang out near your mines to RPG stuff too then bait the vehicles over them. You'd be surprised how easy it is to grab the attention of a tank for enough time to get it to run over a mine or two :) And in addition I get a fair amount of "across the map random mine" kills too.

Average score per min is calculated based on players total game score per min. Class score counts only that particular class score on map excluding award score, squad, team and objective score. Here's an example:
Ah excluding award score makes some amount of sense then, but it makes the platoon average stats a whole lot less interesting. Not that they're particularly telling without matchmaking, but still a bit of fun anyways :)

Is it just me, or did loading times get worse with the 500 MB patch?

Shouldn't the new patch supposed to be only 2GB? I think I read that somewhere. Right now Origin is downloading a 3.9GB patch, WTF?

Yeah my load times went to crap recently and disconnects have gone up a ton... seems like a step backwards :S

The game didn't exactly load fast before, but now it's ridiculous. It takes between 2-3 minutes to load a map. I can't be bothered with this, back to Skyrim until it's fixed.

The game didn't exactly load fast before, but now it's ridiculous. It takes between 2-3 minutes to load a map. I can't be bothered with this, back to Skyrim until it's fixed.

I liked how pre-patch I couldn't even finish Skyrim because of the show-stopper bugs (cross-platform!)

whats wrong with this December update.
it took me whole day to download and keep restarting 2x.

now it restart the download again, total 3x.

can dice please, pretty please, release the MANUAL UPDATER just like BFBC2 :) :) :)

or maybe someone can torrent the december update? or upload it somewhere...

btw the previous 2x restart download is no error, the 3rd restart download appear this error

fSavO.jpg

and EA support not replying at all

Been playing the B2Karkand expansion on th eps3 and its freaking awesome ! freaking awesome :devilish: ! Someone PM me when there's a sale on Origin, cause I want this magnificent game again on my PC to play with 64 players.

BTW, whats the difference between Conquest, Conquest Assault and Conquest Rush modes? Are these even different? I played thee rounds and each one had one of these titles while loading.

Been playing the B2Karkand expansion on th eps3 and its freaking awesome ! freaking awesome :devilish: ! Someone PM me when there's a sale on Origin, cause I want this magnificent game again on my PC to play with 64 players.

BTW, whats the difference between Conquest, Conquest Assault and Conquest Rush modes? Are these even different? I played thee rounds and each one had one of these titles while loading.

from what I read, Conquest Assault is a new game mode/map mod for people that can't afford to play the game and only have 24 players on a huge map like Wake.

In Conquest Assault one team has all points captures from the beginning and other doesnt have any, so they need to 'assault' them :) as fast as they can to dont lose to many reinforcement points.

That vid is great. Even better if you watch the full version linked in the comments - you can see it's not set up. I'm sure I won't be the only one trying that trick out for the next week or two.

Conquest Assault is simply BF2 mode. In case you don't know what that is, you can cap out either or both teams depending on the map. If it's one team that doesn't have an uncap then they usually start with all or more flags than the opponent and (IIRC) more tickets. I actually don't remember if there was a map with no uncaps for both teams in BF2, but I suspect there were, on some 16 man versions. It's been way too long since I played the small maps.

In BF2 if you didn't own a flag then you couldn't spawn, even on your squad. Made for either a really good hero moment where some guy manages to grab a flag or go down fighting for one, with everyone 'cheering' him on in text chat, or a really boring bit where you wait for the enemy to find your last camping sniper who for some reason decides to run to the far corner of the map when he's attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did something more awesome than that last night. Managed to get DeF (aka Mr. 500)'s dogtags. :p Has anyone found a way of seeing a complete list of the names of people whose tags you've taken? Using the dogtags section in battlelog I can see the last person I took a unique tag from, but not everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back