Battlefield 3 announced

Now THAT is the destruction I wanted to see in Battlefield 3! Here's hoping the console versions have the same level of blow-up-ability.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm a fan of even more destruction because I hate RPG fests. Have to see how it turns out. I'm longing for an inf only mode where rockets aren't equipable.

Ok, bugs are annoying and sometimes funny but this one is serious:

I just restarted my machine - Origin autoloads and logs me in as somebody else! Just some random Origin account. Didn't need a password - I was fully logged in as them. They're lucky I'm honest and logged straight out again.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm a fan of even more destruction because I hate RPG fests. Have to see how it turns out. I'm longing for an inf only mode where rockets aren't equipable.

They just need to change the reload speed for support kits. The grenade launcher spam in BC2 was way easier to deal with. I haven't had too much of a problem with RPG spam so far, but I can't imagine what a 64 player match on PC would be like in that regard.

I honestly think it's at a fairly reasonable place right now - only small tweaks are necessary. For the most part RPGs are less effective at actually killing people than guns or even grenade launchers (which, for the record, are also fairly ineffective except for direct hits). They're good for destroying cover (particularly building walls) and generally causing chaos and shell-shock, but that's a legitimate use frankly.

On a related note, I unlocked grenade launcher smoke! Finally a tool for pushing vs campers :) Now if only a few more mortar spammers would use smoke to support pushes too we'd be good to go.

My latest annoyance is that the only good way of dealing with mortar spam is... mortars. It's dead easy to counter-mortar, but that's hardly a "balanced" game mechanic IMHO. I like mortars and how they work for anti-camping, but there really should be some way for non-support classes to deal with them, even if it's not quite as effective.

I honestly think it's at a fairly reasonable place right now - only small tweaks are necessary. For the most part RPGs are less effective at actually killing people than guns or even grenade launchers (which, for the record, are also fairly ineffective except for direct hits). They're good for destroying cover (particularly building walls) and generally causing chaos and shell-shock, but that's a legitimate use frankly.

I use my rockets mostly to blow up walls and attack/capture objectives from weird angles that the defenders wouldn't be guarding. It works pretty well until they catch on, which is when you blow out a wall and walk in the front door while everyone's looking at the hole you just created :devilish:

Never had a driver reset. The game likes to crash the first time I load a MP session, but after that it won't crash again until I restart Origin.

I've no overclock, but setting up a speedier fan profile helped to stop hard locks in BF3 and Crysis. I really should get a new case with better cooling.

a-ha, just had my first TK. I was in a building and a buddy blasted it to bits with a tank, ceiling fell on top of me head. I wish they'd have TK/TD ratio statistics instead of K/D ratio.

I've no overclock, but setting up a speedier fan profile helped to stop hard locks in BF3 and Crysis. I really should get a new case with better cooling.

Do you monitor your temps? Are they really that high? (at least over 90 for gpu and over 75 for cpu). In my experience such small instability is usually caused by mobo and mem not working correctly together. Try lowering your mem speed or raise latencies.
I am gaming on GTX4601gb with 285.62 drivers and the only problem i have is the first time crash like homerdog. Other than that it runs flawlessly.

Actually I didn't bother, as a shortcut I just assumed it was a temp issue and raising the speed a tad appeared to have fixed it.

8IZIa.png

It was only an occasional lock, so I guessed it wasn't overheating terribly and with this small tweak it no longer does it. I suppose to be on the healthy side I should up it a bit more. Upon reflection, being borderline to a failure isn't so great. In fact looking at the diagram there I must've been out to lunch when I made that node - I should have put it further up the temp scale.

it seems me and loads of other peeple have been hit by a new bug:

Game-got-disconnected-300x239.jpg

It basically kicks you after a random amount of play time, for me, it's about 30 seconds each round..

My PC literally didn't turn off since my play session last night, this afternoon this bug hit me and I simply can't play BF3 now.

Quick googling showed that a lot of other people started having this issue today. it seems to me some bright minds at DICE/Evenbalance updated something (on a friday/weekend! :MAD: ) which is turning a LOT of people off of BF3 right now.

I am disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop OC'ing? I seriously had 0 NV driver resets in BF3.

Without an OC this happens also but like I said, new drivers have really got that under control. Just the Metro issue which hard locks BF3 and crashes. Could be a Dice thing at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intermittent game-stopping bugs I get:

'Game got disconnected ()' - not a new bug for me, had that since launch.
'Lost connection with EA Online' - since they updated battlelog a week or so ago.
'Loading...' - tend to get this after I alt+F4 out instead of quitting properly. Can't load some servers, others are fine. Servers I can't load always include the one I alt+F4'd from.
Hard locks - fixed with rasing fan speed

Perhaps one in ten rounds I crash out for one of the first two reasons. I tend to avoid high ticket servers so as not to lose as much unlock progress.

'Game got disconnected ()' - not a new bug for me, had that since launch.

Same here. I can't figure and rhyme or reason to it; most of the time when it happens it's right when I join a server, but very rarely I'll get booted from a server mid match with that error message. I'd say I run into this issue once for every ten matches I play.

Also occasionally I'll go to join a match and it will stick me on a black screen forever once it goes to load the map. I think this is a known issue and it happens very rarely.

Funny thing is, with either of these to occurrences I can go right back and join the same server and it will load without issue. BF3 has never caused any hard locks on my computer. If it ever crashes I can always ctrl+alt+del to kill the process and everything goes back to normal.

Patch is out

---- Client-Side Changes:

-- Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

• General performance and loading time improvements
• "Black Screen" fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations
• Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards
• Adjusted the "stuttering" encountered on some PC configurations.
• Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions
• Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).
• Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards
• Improved loading times for certain textures
• Added console command "GameTime.MaxVariableFps" to limit max FPS
• Added console command "UI.DrawEnable" to hide UI for screenshots / videos

-- Balance and Gameplay Adjustments (PC)

• Fixed a problem with high speed mouse movement
• Added back some missing Growlers on Kharg Island Conquest Large
• Added back EOR sound for SQDM and TDM
• You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
• Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)
• Spawn protection now should work in Conquest. You should no longer spawn on points too close to enemies
• You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
• Combat areas on Kharg Rush tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after 1st base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
• Fixed a problem with revived players not suffering suppression
• Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in COOP
• Added joystick deadzone setting
• Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
• Fixed an issue with some weapon sounds in first person
• Fixed a swim sound loop error
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns against jeeps.
• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.
• Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly.
• Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex.
• Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons.
• Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.
• Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range.
• Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles.
• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.
• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.
• Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds.
• Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against Helicopters.
• Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells
UI Changes (PC)
• Added round duration and ticket summary at EOR
• Advanced squad polish – should be more intuitive
• Significant changes to the Join Squad functionality (see below)
• Fixed a problem regarding keybindings while playing
• You should now get a better error message when being disconnected via Battlelog

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix
• Several crash fixes
• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
• Improved team kill kick configuration
• Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

-- Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

• Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
• User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL
• Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

-- Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
• Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad" line
• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

-- A detailed look at Squad refinements

A detailed look at Squad refinements

Today's PC client patch features numerous tweaks to Squad functionality and is part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier to play with friends and Platoon mates. These changes will also be implemented for consoles when we release the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates shortly. Stay tuned for the exact date of the console updates.

First, we need to look at how joining with Squads and Platoons affects the balance of teams. Initially, servers are commanded to equal out each side, so joining with friends can impact that balance while joining with Platoons further hinders this. As a result we have made some adjustments to the in-game Squad management screen.

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button. Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

After the patch is applied to consoles (in the near future) you will be able to join Squads by cycling through the list and selecting which Squad you wish to join.

Hey Repi! Stereo has arrived, as you said it would - and thanks for bothering to support it properly where many wouldn't. Would love it if the convergence wasn't fixed, any chance that we will get to play with that using the 3Dvision hotkeys? The default setting is not as in my face as I like it usually. There is no 'omg I'm there!' feeling with the default setting. I usually end up with the weapon floating out front a little. Most stereo3D PC gamers are very much tweakers at heart and I'm sure we'd all love to be able to adjust the convergence to our own tastes if that's possible.

Congrats on getting the patch out of the door.

Hey Repi! Stereo has arrived, as you said it would - and thanks for bothering to support it properly where many wouldn't. Would love it if the convergence wasn't fixed, any chance that we will get to play with that using the 3Dvision hotkeys? The default setting is not as in my face as I like it usually. There is no 'omg I'm there!' feeling with the default setting. I usually end up with the weapon floating out front a little. Most stereo3D PC gamers are very much tweakers at heart and I'm sure we'd all love to be able to adjust the convergence to our own tastes if that's possible.

Congrats on getting the patch out of the door.

Yes you can use all the 3D Vision hotkeys to tweak it, toggle the support and so on.

On AMD HD3D there are menu options for it.

We'll do a BF blog post now soon going into a little bit more detail about the Stereo 3D support.

Back