Battlefield 3 announced

I'm only just noticing it starting to slow down now, a few after level 10. Otherwise it felt like every round was a level up or an unlock or two.

At what point is someone no longer a new comer? I think by the time it slows down appreciably they've already got 10 hours under their belt.

And it's exactly around this time you're getting your medals and service stars by the dozen, right?

I'm not quite at my first medal yet, but yes each of those is worth 10-20,000 IIRC. I had one game towards the end of the beta where I earned about 45,000 points after getting a bunch of ribbons and two medals. I went up almost three ranks in one round.

It's a bit slower to get the first medal as we're all playing so many different ways now with the retail game. In the beta it was pretty much the same thing over and over so certain things were awarded very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite at my first medal yet, but yes each of those is worth 10-20,000 IIRC. I had one game towards the end of the beta where I earned about 45,000 points after getting a bunch of ribbons and two medals. I went up almost three ranks in one round.

I only have the resupply medal (10K I think) and will be getting the LMG medal soon so therell be some solid point boosts. but I did notice that my SPM goes up so this will offset things a bit.

by the way, does anyone know how the "skill" is calculated? in BC2 it was largely K/D based but I reckon for BF3 there will also be some teamplay modifiers? anyway, my skill rating in BF3 is much higher than it was in BC2 probably for those reasons.

Do you recall how much you got for that medal - was it 20k?

'Skill' is a mystery to the players from what I can see on the net. People have been having good rounds with positive KDR, objectives completed and no TKs and getting negative skill scores for that round. Some say it might relate your level to that of the people on the server. If you are ranks (or some other measurement?) above people you are killing then you get a bad score, if you are doing well against 'better' players then you get a good score?

DICE should really come out and say what this is all about, but maybe they're afraid of people 'gaming' it. As it is though, it's a useless metric as nobody has the first clue what it means.

New B3D platoon member applicant: mrg_nor

Have no idea who this is! Any takers?

Not sure if I like cluttering up the thread with this stuff, should we have a new one dedicated to the platoon and sign-ups, or is it best in here?

Finally played last night. Suffice it to say, the game is awesome! I played in a fairly small game (8v8 ish) so it was pretty sparse but even then it was a blast. Perhaps even more-so than overcrowded maps I'd wager, but we'll see.

Anyways, just wanted to throw out more kudos to repi and the team. Such a good game. Everyone who enjoys FPS should buy this, without question.

It should be mandatory for posters in this thread to join the B3D platoon. Do it naow! We don't bite... well Richard might a little bit.

Thank you :)

As soon as Origin manages to download and install the game I'll join you. Which'll probably be tomorrow.

So far my gaming pc died, OCZ Vertex 2 freezing system, and on my regular system origin restarted system just before finishing the download. And it didn't save cache to disk, so started download again at 0....

But from what I've read I think I'll be thoroughly enjoying it when I finally get it!

Now if only EA could separate Origin ID and Game name it'd be close to perfect ;)

I updated PB, and now BF3 keeps crashing upon attempting to join a server. Still haven't been able to play a full game. Typical PC gaming bullshit. :rolleyes:

Good thing I got the 360 version too. At least it works.

Typical PC gaming bullshit. :rolleyes:

:yes:

NOTICE We are going to perform some maintenance on our Xbox 360 servers in Europe. Some players may be kicked from their current games. The outage will last for a maximum of 2 hours. The maintenance should hopefully resolve some of the "Failed to connect" issues that some players are seeing. We´re very sorry for the inconvenience.

I updated PB, and now BF3 keeps crashing upon attempting to join a server. Still haven't been able to play a full game. Typical PC gaming bullshit. :rolleyes:

This has happened to me a couple of times. Just join again and it should work.

Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out soon, but overall the game is pretty stable.

That's very easy to do now actually.

Sure, it's easy to change origin ID, but I would like to be able to play with my Mr.Garibaldi nick on game servers, as I know there is no one else playing with this nick in Europe (at least I have never met another one in all my years of online FPS gaming), or just change to something else for a late night drunken muckup.
(For all I know I might even have the MrGaribaldi account with one email or other)

Don't really see why they can't be separate, allowing us to choose to use a well know username for origin, and then whatever we feel like in-game.. Oh, well. Just getting old and grumpy I guess...

Resupply medal is 10K, but you get it every 50 resupply ribbons.. so plenty of scoring opportunity.

Back