Battlefield 3 announced

Play it on hard and not ONE second you feel like your waiting for a next event to trigger because you're too busy not to die.

There's also plenty of paths to take, sure the goal is the same, but if you need to storm a villa, you can do what is expected (enter through the front door) hold a firefight there or .. circle around a balcony. and be greeted by enemies. why? because it's ultimately still an open world that has been filled with scripted enemies because the devs thought about it.

Hard is the difficulty any seasoned FPS player should be playing at. It's not nearly as bad as MW2 on Veteran (MW2 on consoles atleast). I played through the first few levels last night and it was seemed OK. Nothing engaging to the point where I feel like I have to play it insead of the MP. The QTE's have no place in a FPS games, personally.

It seems a bit silly of that article to claim the single player is in some way a detriment to the game. At the very worst its a worthless extra. I'll hold my judgement though, what I've seen so far looks pretty good and if the general complaint is that it's too scripted "like COD" then I see no issue since I found COD pretty enjoyable. I'd rather open gameplay like Crysis but a good scripted experience is nothing to scoff at.

Been playing MP quite a bit today! On the whole I've loved it, but I do have some crits:

Some of the maps, I'm sorry to say are terribly designed. If you thought Metro Rush was bad for chokepoints during the beta(I didn't personally), try playing it on Conquest going from the street flag you own to try and cap the central one. Unless there's not many players on its a corridor shooter. You will stay there for 20 minutes with 32 guys peeking round the same 3 corners.

A worse example is Grand Bazaar rush. You will have literally 15 guys all poking their head round the same single corner shooting at 15 other guys doing the same thing. Blocking is annoying and happens a lot on these maps.

Davamand Peak looked stunning. I was really looking forward to it. On conquest you get caught up in the entrance to the tunnel and there you will stay... I guess the only trick is to play on a 24 man server 'cos they damn well seem like they've been designed for that amount or less.

Pretty pissed off at the apparent 'ok just add more troops to the PC' attitude they seem to have gone with on a few of these maps. I'm hoping some of my sentiment is misplaced and more to do with everybody being new at it, but it's hard to see it that way at the moment.

They might have been better off after all just not giving us all the modes on all the maps.

I remain hopeful that somehow they'll be tweaking things for the better, but core map design isn't going to change. They could move a few flags around on the PC version and that could solve a lot of problems.

I won't bother too much with the weapon balance issues, as I'm sure these will be addressed. The mortar seems a bit OP but only on the smaller maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a cmd for fps limiter? running with a gtx 460 and q9650, runs ok with ultra preset but no playable in actions for my taste.. it dips mid twenties at second level, so i lower the msaa 2x it is good now worst case 30s generally 40-50FPS(playing at 50Hz).. cpu usage %50-70 in sp and solid %99 for gpu, no cpu bottleneck here..

edit: turned off msaa + post aa and used fxaa inject with sharpening filter.. now i get solid 50FPS vsynced and dips mid 40s at intense moments so far..

What res are you playing at? i have very similar rig - PII 940, 4gb of ram, gtx 4601gb and 1680x1050 22'' display. I was hoping for ultra with a bit of msaa for SP but im not so sure it will be doable.
I just received my boxed pre-ordered copy but it wont me play until 27th 1:00am :( I am a sad panda now :(
BTW i applied to B3D platoon as D3Fik.

I went to sleep like a noob and missed the midnight launch :(

So I went by on my lunch break and picked up my copy :)

Just to add a little to my previous rant:

It seems as though DICE have wanted to throw the kitchen sink in there, and while I applaud more options, it means the experience is not always of even passable quality. Noone really wants to play with a kitchen sink, they're not a whole lot of fun. I trust the server admins will do their job and basically cut out the crap map/mode mixes.

I'm still waiting for my copy (physical). Will avoid this thread until then. GTK the platoon is up and running!

I'm hoping B2K is out soon and will be a proper return to BF2 style maps. Hope they haven't buggered about with the flag layouts too much.

Just finished the SP Campaign (hella short...).
- Lighting is on par with Crysis 2 and is IMO better and more realistic.
- Textures and shaders are top notch. But there's simply no going back after experiencing Rage. Virtual Textureing/Mega-Texturing is the way to go...
- Physics where great
- Lack of POM was disappoiting
- All the post-effects are super awesome
- Where the hell is the tesselation used (if there's any..)?
- Sound: simply the best sound effects in any game ever. amazing. My subwoofer was crying

This is simply the best looking game ever in termsof real-time dynamic lighting etc. some may prefer Crysis 2 but I prefer the more realitcis look of BF3. But it does look like C2 is pushing more stuff (everything casts a shadow, panumbras etc..forexample theplayer doesn't cast any shadow in BF3..)

Rage was like an attractive person you see accross the bar who looks gorgeous, then you get up close and OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE. BF3s textures are a ton better. However I agree that megatexture implemented up to our usual wall staring standard should beat it handily.

Rage was like an attractive person you see accross the bar who looks gorgeous, then you get up close and OMG KILL IT WITH FIRE. BF3s textures are a ton better. However I agree that megatexture implemented up to our usual wall staring standard should beat it handily.

BF3's textures are a ton better in terms of resoltion only. IMO. Rage's textures/stampsing quality (artisticaly) etc are a work of art ;-)

I know what you're saying, but BF3 is also a work of art that pleases me far more than Rage. It's a more complete package. Even the latest Lego Star Wars looks better to my eyes. I suppose I just don't 'get it' as much for that particular peice.

After three hours I can safely say this is the greatest game ever made.

Me and some random guy were making attack runs against tanks on Caspian Border in a heli. We got a couple of kills and went down deep inside enemy lines. Both of us survived the crash. We proceeded slowly toward the hilltop point covering each and other eliminating the threats we came across. It was like one of those documentaries you see when a special forces team is stranded without support in enemy territory.

We worked our way across roads and streams and after a couple minutes made it to the hilltop and took it by surprise. He went down just before the point was taken and it was up to me to finish the job. I snuck up behind his killer and made the knife kill, securing the point.

A true Battlefield experience.

Been playing MP:

Such an awesome game. I'm surprised how smooth it's going so far. THere are a lot of little things that need polishing but man, it's close. Oh so close!

Repi and team, well done. You guys really delivered.

Now I'm looking forward to the next gen of high end cards so I can max it out all day. Performance seems better than beta.

I'm not going to comment on any of the maps until I've had plenty of time on them.

Performance is definitely better than beta, though it might be the new 285.62 driver helping also. I'm comfortably playing at a mix of Medium and High settings with my 3.2GHz C2D and ~stock GTX260 (192sp version).

How do I disable or minimize the chat window? It is highly obtrusive.

I still think that was so awesome what me and that guy did on Caspian Border. What other game could you go on a helicopter ride with a complete stranger and have it turn into an epic adventure behind enemy lines?

Back