Battlefield 3 announced

They need to lose the Tron look aswell, the BF2 one was perfectly readable and nice looking. This one just makes it hard to read while looking slightly 'cooler'.

I've found a video featuring Operation Metro in Conquest mode:

Not been able to deduce too much from it, but it's late and I'm tired. Perhaps someone with sharper eyes can work out how the areas are traversed.

I've found a video featuring Operation Metro in Conquest mode:

Not been able to deduce too much from it, but it's late and I'm tired. Perhaps someone with sharper eyes can work out how the areas are traversed.
Well, for one that is rush mode. Also mcom placement and the IFV in first part suggests alpha level build.

keep everything at high except
Set shadows to medium.
hbao to off
turn off all AA
motion blur to 0

that should get you a very good framerate.
Yep, with these settings my framerate stays between 40-60 FPS. Looks pretty good too. Kind of impressed, as I thought the 5770 would totally suck ass.

Only downside is the aliasing, but I don't notice it much when I'm getting my ass shot off.

I can't run any AA either. I don't like the Post Processing AA as it seems to blur things. Maybe next gen of cards will be able to max this out.

Well, for one that is rush mode. Also mcom placement and the IFV in first part suggests alpha level build.

Oh, it was that damned mini-map fooling me again. In a couple of places in the vid it looked like a control point was in a completely different place.

Heres a full map that shows the surface above the underground section
aE3Jh.jpg

Well it was fun while it lasted. I particularly enjoyed playing engineer and ambushing tanks in the foresty parts of Caspian.

Any idea if the unlocks carry over to the full game?

Well it was fun while it lasted. I particularly enjoyed playing engineer and ambushing tanks in the foresty parts of Caspian.

Any idea if the unlocks carry over to the full game?

No they will not (battlelog forums & battlefield blog)

Damn, I liked my unlocks :cry:

BC2 was the same way. I'm actually kind of happy. Even though I ranked well, I'll be able to rank the engineer a lot faster with retail, due to the fact it was utterly useless in Operation Metro. It wasn't until they unlocked Caspian that I began making real progress.

I loved every second of the beta, and I already miss it. My only real complaint is that while viewing weapons from the third person, say on another player, they don't have the functionality that most Battlefield games have. For example, if you were viewing a player with an RPG, they would fire it, but the rocket would remain on the RPG. The same went for hand guns and assault rifles. No moving slides on hand guns, they're completely rigid, and no shell ejection ports on rifles opening and spitting out shells. This has been a trademark of the BF series and I hope, come retail, it's addressed. It sounds like a minor complaint, but I've always admired that about this series.

Noooo.....

That was a lot of fun. As much as I don't want my level 40 reset! it's a good idea overall esp with all the hackers and boosters (why do this in a beta?!) who exploited the game. Also, I'd like to see more points for teamwork.

Unfortunatly some aspects of teamwork are a flawed and un-rewarding.
The attack heli for example. A good pilot despite all its best efforts and giving the gunner the best opportunities by flying low and flanking with hit and runs over time has a score much lower than the gunner itself.
It wasn't uncommon for me to have 10x less score compared to the gunners, because most of the time you'll just get driver assists of 10 points or 20 (2x10) in a fly-by while he gets 200 if not more.

Also the scout MAV/UAV wich in allot of situations easily tipping the balance by tagging/marking the enemy position gets a mere 10 spot points, wich odds are without the enemy being tagged whover got the 100 score would probably die. but lets assume a 50/50 chance still 10 points for giving very important information is not very fair imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine showed me this video, unbeknownst to him....

Look who he kills at 1:30.

It's me

lol, maybe it would be a good idea for them to maintain inertia for the driver once they exit the vehicle?

They need to lose the Tron look aswell, the BF2 one was perfectly readable and nice looking. This one just makes it hard to read while looking slightly 'cooler'.

I actually like the subdued look on the map. Let's me concentrate on the objectives and persons rather than all the green/yellow grass like in BF2/ETQW, etc. I do agree that the bigger map needs to be bigger and could probably fade in a bit of terrain detail.

I like the mini-map as is because it doesn't obscure the view and doesn't draw attention away from enemy/friendly markers.

Unfortunatly some aspects of teamwork are a flawed and un-rewarding. [...] It wasn't uncommon for me to have 10x less score compared to the gunners, because most of the time you'll just get driver assists of 10 points or 20 (2x10) in a fly-by while he gets 200 if not more.

Do you play for points or do you play to help your team win, soldier? ;)

Do you play for points or do you play to help your team win, soldier? ;)

For fun, but when they decided to add the unbalanced unlock weapons and gadgets, high scores are the primary concern untill almost everything is unlocked. I don't want to be underpowered and have less efficient gear just because someone else has played for longer time and has access to superior equipment. It's not worth the "sacrifice" for the "win". Creates too much frustration and unfair situations.

A friend of mine showed me this video, unbeknownst to him....
Jeep bombing was only really impressive in 1942 when it actually took skill to physically keep the dynamite sticks in the car (was damn hard with the american jeeps that had no doors!). Now that they stick it's just too easy. I have a similar complaint about tank shells that actually just fly straight ;)

lol, maybe it would be a good idea for them to maintain inertia for the driver once they exit the vehicle?

Hell no! This has been a classic Battlefield tactic since '1942. I remember the good old days of riding along with a friend, anti-mine charge barely hanging on to the back of the jeep, then both diving out and letting the killer package roll right into the middle of a bunch of tanks or dropping it onto a sniper or whatever before detonating into a beautiful shower of debris.

:LOL:

Back