Battlefield 3 announced

so i have been playing from my sofa (my niece broke my keyboard, which put a stop on any work being done) for the last few days, its almost the perfect shooter. pad support is good, runs without focus all that stops it from being perfect is the lack of split screen!

Highest awarded
sbatgib
Award score

Just went up almost 3 ranks in one round thanks to getting the assault rifle medal (20000 pts) and a ton of other ribbons.

...and soon they will take all my points and my precious game away from me. :(

...and then I get to do it all over again. :)

Richard, there is no commo-rose in the beta. All q does is spot for the time being, and you're right we need more recruits. If you're ambivalent towards being a leader I'd like to put you in as one, repii looks awfully lonely up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
but on fences from angles it looks like there are moving wave patterns

I've seen that effect in real life

ps: that you could get banned for playing on 128player servers doesnt just mean bf3 it means every origin game you own

pps: is there any bot support

So aside from the unlimited ammo, is this how you're supposed to play this game? I typically do a lot of deliberate movement, spotting, and try to advance with a squad, and as often as not some guy runs past me at full speed and one-shots me firing a sniper rifle from the hip. So I'm starting to think I need to go all action jackson and start playing this game like it's Doom. Not that I'm frustrated or anything :mad:.

So I had an idea on the MSAA tone mapping thing. I was reminded of a thread a while back where IIRC Mintmaster was arguing that even with dynamic tone mapping it'd be fine just to use the tone mapping operation from the previous frame and do the mapping at the end of the pixel shader instead of requiring an fp16 render target, resolve, etc. It seems like something similar could be applied here...

Given that you probably have a good guess on what the tone mapping operation is going to be on the current frame (from the last one), you could have the resolve step take this into consideration when weighting the samples; i.e. basically apply the tone map operator before resolving, then apply the inverse tone mapping to the result. This isn't entirely accurate with blending more terms on, etc. but it should be a reasonable approximation given that you're doing most of the lighting in a small number of passes.

I'd be interested to see how this worked, but it seems to me it might provide the majority of the benefit for the pre-resolve tone mapping without any real disadvantages.

When you enter that pipe he can see your legs but you still cant see him and its so dark in there that you can see shite till he opens fire. If someone's good enough and camps that spot there is not much you can do (lucky rocket might do the trick but after few deaths no one was willing to try).

ok, I see...but there are still two ways into the metro station...you don't have to make it through the camper...take the other way and flank him!

Actually there are four entrance routes into the metro. The left tunnel is one, and the right tunnel has the left side of the train, the right side of the train and then the air vent (which when camped is pretty much 'out of order').

You can either flank or just outright ignore the air vent camper(s), but from time to time you see people running into it although there are piles of dead friendlies in front of them.

I definitely agree that Deferred MSAA isn't really worth using right now. The IQ benefit just isn't there.

Not that I'd be using it anyway on my GTX260. I'm actually surprised it works at all on DX10 hardware; doesn't it require compute shader functionality to work?

That's just why I wanted to play Caspian, stuff like that that is so awesome it put both your legs straight back on the ground and tell you you're playing a game :)

Not that I'd be using it anyway on my GTX260. I'm actually surprised it works at all on DX10 hardware; doesn't it require compute shader functionality to work?
It does work on DX10 hardware as well, just much less efficiently; i.e.the performance cost for enabling it on DX10 will be much higher than on DX11.

I really would like to enable it but it doesn't do enough to get rid of the aliasing on stairs and similar high contrast cases to justify the performance hit for me right now. If it did I'd be willing to drop the resolution in order to enable it at a smooth frame rate. I can understand the choices made, though I'm still curious if my previously posted idea would get 90% of the benefit at little to no cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I see...but there are still two ways into the metro station...you don't have to make it through the camper...take the other way and flank him!

Like bigtabs said its an air vent accessible only from the front hence you can not flank. If good camper gets there you're pretty much screwed and have to take other paths.

Actually there are four entrance routes into the metro. The left tunnel is one, and the right tunnel has the left side of the train, the right side of the train and then the air vent (which when camped is pretty much 'out of order').

You can either flank or just outright ignore the air vent camper(s), but from time to time you see people running into it although there are piles of dead friendlies in front of them.

This.
I just hope Dice will fix this imbalance because with a good squad you can deny entrance to that vent while having your mates spawn on you to butrape attackers:???:

I just don't get your complaint though. If a good squad can cut off one of the four routes then that's just good teamwork. It's not as though the other 3 routes are compromised. In fact they now have less people covering them.

Essentially, if you see someone being shot on that approach, use a different one. That's why there are multiple approaches.

The air vent is a high risk / reward option. If noone is covering it you get much further towards the goal in complete cover.

Back