Battlefield 3 announced

I like the browser based server browser. Sure it has some flaws to be ironed out but overall it is visionary. I can browse my usual stuff while using it and the game loads itself seamlessly in the background. As a consequence alt-tabbing out of the game works really neatly too. Good PC development if you ask me.

btw wondering how DICE will comb the suggestion/critique/etc in battlelog forum. there so many of them.... and mixed with OOT topics.

even me, myself have a hard time keeping track of my topics there. No subscribe button.

Downloading the beta now. The Origin client needs [strike]a lot of[/strike] some polish. Also, seeing ajax-like loadings in a windows form with static content is... weird. Download is maxing my connection so no complaints there.

The server browser has grown on me a bit. It's certainly massively easier to get into a game now. Pretty much straight in first try now.

I like the browser based server browser. Sure it has some flaws to be ironed out but overall it is visionary. I can browse my usual stuff while using it and the game loads itself seamlessly in the background. As a consequence alt-tabbing out of the game works really neatly too. Good PC development if you ask me.

This is positive. Never bored.

Downloading the beta now. The Origin client needs [strike]a lot of[/strike] some polish. Also, seeing ajax-like loadings in a windows form with static content is... weird. Download is maxing my connection so no complaints there.
With my 4c/8t CPU, Origin.exe constantly idles at around 1% CPU. Meh.

I managed to get it to work in IE by setting some filtering and manually adding a few things to Windoww firewall. I wish you could see how hilariously bad it plays for me. It really makes me appreciate what they can do on old console hardware.

Funny enough I was able to get a kill using a trackpad, and no right click for iron sights. That guy I killed should be ashamed.

Okay, fresh out of my first 15 mins. Amazing graphics, the core gameplay feels very solid. Need more time to understand the map, etc.

Anyway to launch the game without joining a server? I'd like to put my proper keymaps without taking up a slot.

Tried googling this topic, and results were mixed. Some individuals are able to get a 360 pad working with the beta, or so it seems.

I can't though. Anybody else here have any success with that?

Guys what are your thoughts on prone camping so far? For me its getting really irritating and in all the games i played so far its either one side domination or prone camp feast all the way. And i get weird physics bugs like models in prone position on various objects shooting me yet facing sky hence i cant see scope glints or generally weird model behaviour distracting me or making spotting enemy a bit more difficult.
It's a little annoying but I think prone is way less of a problem than the weapons, and really just on this particular map. It's just far too easy to rape with an SVD/MK11 or to some extent support weapon. Snipers in particular though are just way too simple on this map: aim down long corridor and click button when you see movement. Keep clicking until stuff dies. Not that hard ;) I've seen even half-decent snipers get ridiculous ratios just because of the map design.

The issue is... without smoke grenades or some sort of obscurance, the only real way to counter this is with your own snipers. If there's only a few of them doing it or if their team isn't very organized then you can just push through it with revives and such but if they are decent it's pretty easy for them to lock down all the choke-points from a far enough range that you need your own snipers to counter it.

Anyways I imagine snipers will be more balanced on other maps where 1) there are more angles to flank and 2) there are vehicles, against which they appear to be pretty useless. Thus I think it's more an issue with the map than any of the game mechanics.

And even despite it, I'm still having a blast :D

Last edited by a moderator:
La9YG.jpg

:LOL:

Lol that's pretty funny. The second phase would be even more boring though with only really two areas... all the snipers/supports camping the tunnels and the assaults running down the tickets with and endless stalemate in the middle building section ;)

Okay, fresh out of my first 15 mins. Amazing graphics, the core gameplay feels very solid. Need more time to understand the map, etc.

Agree although strangely the last part of map (city) stutters badly with sound being repeated as if leaking. Doesn't mather if I change settings. Otherwise I am suprised ultra/SSAO/FXAA runs so well on a 4890 at 1440x900. Sure it stutters here and there but still very playable and I got outdated unsupported drivers (cat 11.6). Inddors is a fest for the eyes, the lights the reflections and shadows damn!

Forgive me for being ignorant but someone told me the beta ends on the 10th of October. If this is true I might have a little cry to myself. I've had a google and gotten nowhere, which raises my hopes. Is it true?

Testosterone8000 add me. I am heavy machinegunner stay clear spreadsheet frenzy king.

The official website says it ends on the 10th yes.

One thing I'm disliking is that the game launches in windowed mode in the background and I have to bring it to the foreground and then alt + enter.

Nebula: I'm not seeing that but I am running the 11.10 preview drivers (was running 11.2 previously but game wouldn't let me play).

Beta is supposed to last for 14 days, but is it 14 days from when the early-access started or when the open beta started?

Getting into my groove now. Almost have my SPM (score per min) at 400.

I love the M416 with RDS and gripper. That's all I need. I wish squadmates would drop ammo once in a blue moon....

Back