Battlefield 3 announced

Anyway my point is that prone camping slows the game a lot and can be very annoying while not contributing to gameplay.
I agree, but that's probably a good thing. I'm a run-n-gunner mostly and it's still plenty fast enough for me. If previous BF experience serves, this will probably be one of the "faster" maps due to it being closer quarters. Normally maps are larger with a lower density of players so there's more travel time, making teamwork, revives, squad spawns, etc. all the more important.

On an unrelated note, you guys got some work to do! I seem to be carrying this platoon so far ;)
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2826550451890920237/stats/

Getting this to run was one of the more frustrating gaming moments in my gaming life.

Once in the game is quite pretty but not necessarily much more than that.

Oh. CHRIST.

I've been playing the hell out of this. It's great, but needs a lot of optimization. I get a recurring issue with screen flashing. The color is either white or yellow, I can't tell, and seems to happen most when you make quick moves in either direction. The FPS needs some stabilization, too. Other than that, it's a BF fan's dream.

Add me! DevourTheFeeble.

Finally got the game running right. I toggled many settings and ended up with this:

All settings to Ultra
MSAA = off
Post AA = Max
Motion Blur = 30
HBAO/SSAO = off

At 2560x1600 with 1 GTX 580 @ 920/1840/2150, this gets me 40-50 outdoors and 50+ in tunnels. My real worry going forward is going to be VRAM. I'm running at 1450mb+ at some points and I only have a 1.5GB card.

Turning additional stuff down really doesn't seem to make a huge difference. MSAA along HBAO/SSAO are the real performance killers for me. However, the Post Processing AA is really good so I don't mind it. To be absolutely honest, when playing even Post AA off is fine as chain linked fences are the last of my concern.

The game is very much fun but needs a lot of polish. I hope this is an older build. The list of things that need some TLC would be very long at this point. Still, this beta completely justifies me building a new PC for it. When it's working smoothly, it's brilliant in it's excecution.

Dresden, if you apply to join the platoon we can add you. Click platoon>search>'Beyond3D'

I've just applied to join. My stats are ridiculous though so be warned! I've never played a game like this before and only realised last night after about my 10th go that you have to press and hold E to destroy the objectives! And I still haven't learned to tell the difference between the enemy and my team mates :(

Quite exciting though as I've never been in an online gaming group before.

So repi, I just learned that you are our platoon leader...be aware of the fact that I will work in disguise to de-throne you and take over the platoon to start my chaos regency...maybe a lost friendly fire bullet in the chaos of a battle (...Billy slicks back into shadow...)
ha ha ha, just kidding :mrgreen:
...or maybe not?!?!?! :devilish:

So repi, I just learned that you are our platoon leader...be aware of the fact that I will work in disguise to de-throne you and take over the platoon to start my chaos regency...maybe a lost friendly fire bullet in the chaos of a battle (...Billy slicks back into shadow...)
ha ha ha, just kidding :mrgreen:
...or maybe not?!?!?! :devilish:

Bring it on!

Guys what are your thoughts on prone camping so far? For me its getting really irritating and in all the games i played so far its either one side domination or prone camp feast all the way. And i get weird physics bugs like models in prone position on various objects shooting me yet facing sky hence i cant see scope glints or generally weird model behaviour distracting me or making spotting enemy a bit more difficult.

Regarding prone camping:

Defenders pretty much should have a sizeable contingent of campers, otherwise they wouldn't be doing a good job of defense. Remember they're defending two static points with known approaches. Why should they run about like headless chickens? As long as they are covering the flanks and the MCOMs they're doing their job. Then you have mobiles who soak up the pressure wherever it appears.

For attackers, it's a little different. You need to be a lot more mobile, obviously, but there are still good spots to sit and cover your buddies from, particularly along the routes from spawn to MCOM, and the MCOM itself. Sometimes you can get a good sniper to a flank, with a deployment beacon and he can camp there and thin out the defenders. This is good!

It's the nature of the game that you should learn good overwatch spots on the map you play. If everybody runned and gunned it would be a spammy mess of a game. Personally I found BFBC2 a bit too spammy for my tastes. BF3 is exactly what the doctor ordered (for me).

If you're still in your first 2 hours or so of playing, give it more time. It can be very disheartening how much other players can kick your arse at first. Just play very very cautiously and you'll start picking off enemies and love the system exactly the way it is.

Anyone else starting to seriously dislike the unlock/rpg weapons system, its showing its greedy flaws badly imo, starting to see very frequently high level (20+) players stockpiling on one team with access with stronger and more efficient weapons and (squad)bonuses feeding off the lvl 1~10 newbies and maps ending quickly or nor even breaking past the 1st outside area.

Btw wich class has access to the remote controlled uav's and robots?

Spend some more time with the beta...my most favorite online game so far...even as a beta!! They absolutely improved everything over BC2 (especially the new point system is even more satisfying imo)...unlocking is cool, weapon gadget unlocking is even cooler! Chaos in battle is insane, feels very very familiar...me likes ultra so far!

I wonder how the hardcore modus will turn out, as I have the feeling that the normal modus in BF3 is already a mixture between normal and hardcore modus in BC2...but I am really looking forward to play the game in hardcore modus (the way it should be played imo!!)

adding vehicle into the chaos, more destruction...and i will never ever leave my appartment again :mrgreen:

Anyone else starting to seriously dislike the unlock/rpg weapons system, its showing its greedy flaws badly imo, starting to see very frequently high level (20+) players stockpiling on one team with access with stronger and more efficient weapons and (squad)bonuses feeding off the lvl 1~10 newbies and maps ending quickly or nor even breaking past the 1st outside area.

Btw wich class has access to the remote controlled uav's and robots?

I think UAV is recon and robots is engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, do I hate PC gaming. If I launch battlelog in chrome, it seems to find games but they'll never connect. I see "Connecting" indefinitely. In IE it tells me to check my windows firewall settings. For what?! Blocked ports? Which ports? Not to mention, Windows Firewall seems to be completely unintuitive in Windows 7. Hopefully I'll get this sorted before the beta is over.

LOL take a look at this, it was posted on the first page of this thread.

Also, how do you know if Hardcore mode is the way it should be played? We don't even know what hardcore mode is yet. :p It might be all flowers and running around in frilly skirts. Or even worse.. one shot kill, no medic revive, no minimap and no spotting.

Boy, do I hate PC gaming. If I launch battlelog in chrome, it seems to find games but they'll never connect. I see "Connecting" indefinitely. In IE it tells me to check my windows firewall settings. For what?! Blocked ports? Which ports? Not to mention, Windows Firewall seems to be completely unintuitive in Windows 7. Hopefully I'll get this sorted before the beta is over.
a little off topic, but win7 firewall is great, just have to get into its console As for Chrome, i dont think it will ever work, you cant even us it for FTP....

Back