Battlefield 3 announced

I just right-clicked BF3 beta in Origin and searched for updates and now it is downloading 3.9 GB. Anyone else get this?

btw can you force Stereo 3D?

on My Documents
file called --> PROF_SAVE_body

open with hex edior i can change the FOV (there called fieldofview) to 90.

maybe try changing the
StereoMode (default is 1)
and
Stereoscopy (default is 0)

performance is not a problem on my dual core CPU, most of the time over 40fps,
the main problem is that the game keeps crashing randomly, frozen picture and looping sound or simply closes to desktop, I tried a lot of different settings, the most successful solution was to run with details on low... but it's really hard to understand, sometimes I can play for 30 minutes without problem, sometimes it crashes quite soon or not...

apart from that there is some graphical glitches in some parts, like some flashing textures on the first part or something

I just right-clicked BF3 beta in Origin and searched for updates and now it is downloading 3.9 GB. Anyone else get this?
Okay, WTF. They changed the name to Battlefield 3 beta from Battlefield 3 Open Beta so now I have two installations. What the hell? How can they not use UIDs and not go by idiotic folder names? Holy fuck this is really bad by Origin and EA.

And if I move the Battlefield 3 Open Beta folder away (it is the oldest one, though all the files are the same in both folders), the game won't start. And if I move the Battlefield 3 beta folder away, Origin thinks the game is uninstalled. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
List of maps uncovered from the beta !

Battlefield 3 MP Maps (As displayed within the Battlefield 3 Open Beta game files)

MP_BAZAAR
MP_HIGHWAY
MP_FOREST
MP_PARIS
MP_OILFIELDS
MP_BASEJUMP
MP_SUBWAY
MP_CANALS
MP_KHARG
MP_OMAHA (WOOOOO??? Surprise returning map from Battlefield 1942???)
MP_TUTORIAL (The tutorial everyone voted for... but will this make retail release???)

Battlefield 3 Expansion Pack MP Maps (As displayed within the Battlefield 3 Open Beta game files)

XP1_Wake
XP1_Karkand
XP1_Sharqi
XP1_Oman

The exclusive Back to Karkand expansion pack weapons are listed as:

XP1_FAMAS
XP1_HK53
XP1_PP19
XP1_QBZ95B
XP1_L85A2
XP1_QBB95
XP1_MG36
XP1_JACKHAMMER
XP1_TYPE88 (seems to be the sniper variant)
XP1_L96

(Thanks to LoudGunZ for those)

Battlefield 3 SP Maps (As displayed within the Battlefield 3 Open Beta game files)

SP_BANK
SP_EARTHQUAKE - aka Fault Line
SP_FINALE (2 Part)
SP_JET (2 Part)
SP_NEW_YORK (2 Part)
SP_PARIS
SP_SNIPER
SP_TANK (2 Part) - aka Thunder Run
SP_VALLEY - aka Operation Guillotine (starts in a valley on the video)
SP_VILLA

It's also indicated that there are two maps SP_EARTHQUAKE2 and SP_TANK2 that exist in some form, possibly test versions or alternative versions for development.

Battlefield 3 COOP Maps (As displayed within the Battlefield 3 Open Beta game files)

COOP_A10
COOP_BREACHED
COOP_HOSTAGE
COOP_ROLLINGTHUNDER
COOP_BEHINDENEMYLINES
COOP_SUPERCOBRA
COOP_EXTRACTION
COOP_ASSASSINATION
COOP_EXFILTRATION
COOP_SUBWAY

According to the date each SP and COOP map will feature an Easy, Medium, Hard and Hardcore mode, whilst Multiplayer will feature a General (normal) and Hardcore mode. So Battlefield 3 will feature 10 Multiplayer Maps along with 4 Expansion Maps, 10 Single player Maps and 10 Co-operative maps, I think that's more than anyone could of wished for!

Okay, WTF. They changed the name to Battlefield 3 beta from Battlefield 3 Open Beta so now I have two installations. What the hell? How can they not use UIDs and not go by idiotic folder names? Holy fuck this is really bad by Origin and EA.

And if I move the Battlefield 3 Open Beta folder away (it is the oldest one, though all the files are the same in both folders), the game won't start. And if I move the Battlefield 3 beta folder away, Origin thinks the game is uninstalled. Wow.
If you get this problem, don't bother contacting EA chat support. The guy I talked to was the most incompetent person I have ever chatted to.

Ah well, at first I couldn't even start the game. I could get into the browser server browser (the name sounds just as idiotic as the idea really is), but the game manager would stay on "connecting to server" forever without actually connecting.

I had to fix that by renaming the folder by replacing the accented e with a normal e and then change some registry settings. Epic fail!

The game itself looks great and plays great as far as I can see. Especially the animations are astounding as I expected. Game menus and such are still very beta:
* Can't go to the settings menu unless you are spawned.
* I can't unbind keys
* If I want to use a key that is already in use for another action and it asks me to proceed, it just ignores whatever answer I give.
* The browser server browser. The whole idea is idiotic, and the implementation is just as bad at the moment.

Yeah the server browser is really terrible. I'm not a MP gamer really so maybe this kind of thing is typical but it seriously puts me off even trying to play the game (wont stop me playing the hll out of SP of course). I can't comment on the game itself really as it's so difficult to get into I've only managed 2 very short play sessions.

the browser server browser (the name sounds just as idiotic as the idea really is)

Okay I know you have other problems with the game so you have your point but here is my view:

I start origin, press play on Battlefield 3. Click on server, can´t join, it´s full though it clearly said 15/32... Click on another server, that is full too. By the fifth or so server I have spent about 15 seconds and I then get logging... connecting...loading... press a button and I´m ready to deploy in another 15 seconds...

Instead how about starting the game and getting a minute full of intro videos. EA GAMES Challenge everything! 15 seconds... Nvidia the way it´s meant to be played! 15 seconds... shiny letters! Very awesome looking DICE logo 10 seconds. Now preparing to starting to initiate loading of main menu with stunning rendered background and video windows. Then get to multiplayer menu... then get to server browser. THEN start trying to find a server with good ping, ok amount of players, then load the level... it would take like another minute.

So I think this browser server browser gets me into a game faster. I think it´s worth developing further to make it really good.

Okay I know you have other problems with the game so you have your point but here is my view:

I start origin, press play on Battlefield 3. Click on server, can´t join, it´s full though it clearly said 15/32... Click on another server, that is full too. By the fifth or so server I have spent about 15 seconds and I then get logging... connecting...loading... press a button and I´m ready to deploy in another 15 seconds...

Instead how about starting the game and getting a minute full of intro videos. EA GAMES Challenge everything! 15 seconds... Nvidia the way it´s meant to be played! 15 seconds... shiny letters! Very awesome looking DICE logo 10 seconds. Now preparing to starting to initiate loading of main menu with stunning rendered background and video windows. Then get to multiplayer menu... then get to server browser. THEN start trying to find a server with good ping, ok amount of players, then load the level... it would take like another minute.

So I think this browser server browser gets me into a game faster. I think it´s worth developing further to make it really good.

That's a fair point. But why in the hell does it show a server as only half full when it is in fact full? It's infuriating!

Some chotchbags on TF2 set their server to always show 31/32 players so people will join thinking they'll have a great time. Then you join and it's you + three other idler scout jumpers.
I wonder if something similar (but opposite) is happening here.

I love the concept of the server browser, and when it works it's great. They can update it to fix bugs and add features without having to touch the main game or requiring any user downloads. GG Dice.

I love the concept of the server browser, and when it works it's great. They can update it to fix bugs and add features without having to touch the main game or requiring any user downloads. GG Dice.
Without the queue it is worthless. Also it doesn't show the most local servers for me.

If they add an application or a feature to battlelog where I can change BF3 settings without joining a game, I'd be more supportive of battlelog. Right now it is battleslog, having to launch and relaunch the game all the time is tedious.

I can´t even press esc to enter menu and change settings when I´m dead. That´s annoying. Esc should give the menu every time no matter what is happening in the game.

I can´t even press esc to enter menu and change settings when I´m dead. That´s annoying. Esc should give the menu every time no matter what is happening in the game.
Yes, it should.

I've played a bit more now, I'm absolutely rubbish but I can see how it could be great fun if I wasn't. Graphically it's nice but I'm not blown away, I guess that's always going to be an issue with MP though, it certainly looks better than Crysis MP but probably not Crysis 2. I'm sure the SP will deliver though.

Performance wise it's playably smooth (dunno fps) on my 4980 with everything at max except AO set to SSAO, no AA and resolution at 1680x1050. Obviously I'm missing all the DX11 goodness though.

besides PC gaming in itself being a major led down (install bug, directX bug, server bug, new NVidia driver needed, idiotic age verification to get the beta key or Facebook (what the heck!!!!), origin bug: starting game...origin states "you need origin to play this game, please install origin!", origin itself, EA, EA server, download at 500k/s takes forever,...) the game itself once connected to a server is ace and brilliant! Lots of changes compared to BF BC 2 makes IMO (after only a view rounds) an even better game!!!

Graphics looking good, not mindblowing at the moment, but very nice imo...some cool effects in the metro station going on! Sound is so brutal...perfect!

Weapons seem to have lots of recoil, makes the game somewhat slower for me at the moment...playing at my friends PC without gaming K/M...need to test it at my own rig to get a conclusive gameplay judgement...so far so gut! did not tried the Caspian border map until now...tried it at gamescom after 5hours of wait :mrgreen:

Back