Battlefield 3 announced

If anyone here ends up with and extra PC code, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Wait until Thursday and grab it from Origin. It'll be available to everyone. I don't think early access players received more than one code.

Capture038056.jpg
Separate settings for real deferred MSAA and post AA :O :O I love you DICE.

That's actually a real nice set of options there. Great choices.

Please note that when you change (most) graphics options you need to restart the level/game unfortunately in the Beta in order for it to take, so important to do when comparing performance or quality.

yeah, going from 100fps to 17 fps isn't funny :p

but, I love the game, and the micro leveling loads of graphical glitches though that might be the latest 285's as well.

What's the verdict so far? I can't get in till after work.
Verdict so far is that the Metro map is DICE trying to play a siren's song to lure COD players to the BF fold.

I want the other map I can choose in Battlelog, I don't care about that stupid metro map. I also detest having to launch the game via the web browser.

Verdict so far is that the Metro map is DICE trying to play a siren's song to lure COD players to the BF fold.

I want the other map I can choose in Battlelog, I don't care about that stupid metro map. I also detest having to launch the game via the web browser.

True dat.

battlelog:
non-intuitive. server browser is pre 1994 (queue is non-default?)
in a party, my host can't join a game as a party, but I can :/
doing the beta publicly and making sure that the servers with other maps are pwd protected. nice job pissing on us DICE! hint: JOIN IP! (it worked before consolewhoring was a trend)
Dear god let me choose my own username.

game:
squad: FFS let me chose a squad myself. the game doesn't know which squad I want to join and DICE's "quick/Auto" stuff has been borked for ever (see join game in BC2) always dropping into empty servers.
Difficulty is up a notch compared to BC2 since the gameplay is very much BF2 styled, so no names hanging over people from miles ahead.
Knifing is f'ing awesome.
starting MG's are useless unless scoped, SAW+scope is godly rain fiery death down hallways.
I didn't play the Alpha, but I like Metro, 3 maps rolled into one gives a nice change of gameplay in rush, much more so than BC2.
Graphics are truly awesome on Ultra, but loads of bugs (windows when viewed scoped only are black or white, no bullet splash in water etc.)

Please note that when you change (most) graphics options you need to restart the level/game unfortunately in the Beta in order for it to take, so important to do when comparing performance or quality.

repi,

Is the final product better optimized for performance? Also, any insights into hard close you're working with nvidia/AMD to do the same on the driver side? I assume future driver versions will provide better performance but just wanted some insight into that process.

I am disgusted with the metro map. It doesn't add anything to the formula, it is as straight as any map from the bad old days.

I hate it with all my being.

I am disgusted with the metro map. It doesn't add anything to the formula, it is as straight as any map from the bad old days.

I hate it with all my being.

Only the outside part of the map reminds me of bad BC2 rush maps.

also a huge mistake -> decent mouse support. I can't configure any other button than LMB & RMB in the config menu, now I have to drag out setpoint again for my MX518 :(

Only the outside part of the map reminds me of bad BC2 rush maps.

also a huge mistake -> decent mouse support. I can't configure any other button than LMB & RMB in the config menu, now I have to drag out setpoint again for my MX518 :(
Outside is meh, nothing worthwhile to destroy.

Inside is corridor shooter hell.

I found something I would classify as a bug: if you throw an ammo pack on the park wall you hide behind, the wall section is destroyed. Not even grenades do that.

Outside is meh, nothing worthwhile to destroy.

Inside is corridor shooter hell.

I found something I would classify as a bug: if you throw an ammo pack on the park wall you hide behind, the wall section is destroyed. Not even grenades do that.
yeah, it does that with random objects in the level as well, drop it, see it hit a wall, smoke, dust and particles and your ammo pack bounces all over.

Overall this lacks polish on the mechanics side. I like the audio, it is very good, the graphics are good but a bit wonky sometimes. I get intermittent green flashing sometimes and a lot of z-fighting.

I am glad they fixed that horrible reload sound you heard when you joined a server in the alpha trial.

v-sync is b0rked, though, there's stuttering when moving.

I want to play with vehicles, and I don't think I'll order this game until I am able to. As it stands now, there are more minuses than pluses.

... I also think my GTX285 is not good enough for this game, and I may enjoy it more if I upgraded. Mehhhhh.

yeah, it does that with random objects in the level as well, drop it, see it hit a wall, smoke, dust and particles and your ammo pack bounces all over.
I watched a friend play the PS3 version and that sometimes had wall tiles from the inside parts floating in the air. It also had some issues where the game just froze for several seconds, though what he hated the most (and I agree it is annoying) is when you throw an ammo pack or health kit, the animation slowly shows the kit you just threw before it changes to your weapon. It is too slow and unpredictable.

I noticed you said earlier that you liked the knife, neliz, and it is quite cool when it works, but the novelty of the animation and the bonkers flourish as the knife is pulled out of the victim gets old real fast. I just have big problems getting the knife to stick, dunno if it is lag or anything, since I can't observe latency on the scoreboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back