Battlefield 3 announced

There's a live Q+A on at the moment, it's in German, the English one is tomorrow. link

I've asked about MEC and was told that they are NOT in - the remakes of Karkand and Kubra feature US and Russian forces. I also asked how integrated Origin and Battlelog are, and the answer wasn't that clear, I took it to mean that you can access Battlelog through Origin, but you don't have to.

There is no in-game server browser. Getting to a server is done via your browser + battlelog. You can alt+tab to get there, or you can exit the game. Exiting and loading the game is apparently very quick as there will be no intro videos!

That's... Bizarre. Because those other screens posted before do not look like Russian uniforms that I've seen. Given the similarity between them and the look of MEC in prior battlefield games, I simply assumed that's what it was.

I mean those guys don't even LOOK Russian\eastern european.

I'm not referring to the chaps in front getting shot at in those photos (with the balaclavas), as they do appear to be Russian. But the guys in the background with the facial hair and helmets..

Is it possible that level has Russians teaming up with some kind of local government force to combat the Americans?

First official server info is up: link

Specific control over which guns are allowed on unranked servers. Good stuff!

4chan-e1289617752259.png

^Original 4chan thread.

DICE's response:
500x_bfdino.jpg

426d1309967629t-tyrannosaurus-warfare-pack-jpg

Link further explaining;http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.289992-DICE-heeds-4chans-request-For-Dinosaurs

Ah... Hadn't heard of that. I was referencing Dino D-Day myself. Guy I know has been kind of in love with it lately.

I'd love a game where you'd play with dinos instead of mechs and humans and tanks. :)

Has there been no direct feed footage from DICE from Gamescom at all ?
Also, guys am i a dilemna here. here's my PC config:

Q9450 Quad Core 2.6ghz
4GB Corsair Ram
ATI HD 4850 512MB

I am running BF:BC2 on 1920X1080 with everything maxed out with ease on my PC. Will it be able to survive BF3? SHould I spend money on the PC version, Cos if I can't run it well, whats the point. Then I would rather go for the PS3 version now, and get the PC one later someday when i can actually run it well.
I am running Crysis 2 on 1920X1080 on max too. Around 30ish FPS.

:???: I am jittery. Limited funds and big decisions.

Q9450 Quad Core 2.6ghz
4GB Corsair Ram
ATI HD 4850 512MB

I am running BF:BC2 on 1920X1080 with everything maxed out with ease on my PC. Will it be able to survive BF3? SHould I spend money on the PC version, Cos if I can't run it well, whats the point. Then I would rather go for the PS3 version now, and get the PC one later someday when i can actually run it well.

Until there's benchmarks released, it's anyone's guess. The recommended requirement for the alpha was a video card of at least 512 MB of video memory, but I imagine on larger scale maps, i.e 64 players, you'll encounter a few issues with that card. BC2 and BF3 are almost two entirely different games. My GTX 260 ran BC2 with ease, without HBAO enabled, but I predict BF3 will be a lot more demanding, seeing as that card wouldn't even be compatible, due to lack of DX10 or 11 support. Depending on how well BF3 scales on a variety of machines, who really knows at this point until testers have their hands on something tangible. I did, however, read that 20% of the computers running BF3 were fried at Gamescom. While it's apparently an "unconfirmed" fact, Demize stated in a tweet that they were investigating the issue and supposedly it was due to poor coding of alpha software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, however, read that 20% of the computers running BF3 were fried at Gamescom. While it's apparently an "unconfirmed" fact, Demize stated in a tweet that they were investigating the issue and supposedly it was due to poor coding of alpha software.

Don't trust random gaming sites that you read on the internet.

Try stuffing 128 GPUs and 64 machines in an enclosed area in a convention center and see how many survive :) Also with any game of this magnitude there is huge amount of work that is required to get the graphics card drivers to perform well and be stable, this is a normal part of the dev cycle and not "due to poor coding of alpha software".

Just so you don't rush out and buy a new card, your 260 does have DX10 support. nVidia has had that since the 8800.

Until there's benchmarks released, it's anyone's guess. The recommended requirement for the alpha was a video card of at least 512 MB of video memory, but I imagine on larger scale maps, i.e 64 players, you'll encounter a few issues with that card. BC2 and BF3 are almost two entirely different games. My GTX 260 ran BC2 with ease, without HBAO enabled, but I predict BF3 will be a lot more demanding, seeing as that card wouldn't even be compatible, due to lack of DX10 or 11 support. Depending on how well BF3 scales on a variety of machines, who really knows at this point until testers have their hands on something tangible. I did, however, read that 20% of the computers running BF3 were fried at Gamescom. While it's apparently an "unconfirmed" fact, Demize stated in a tweet that they were investigating the issue and supposedly it was due to poor coding of alpha software.

Dude the GTX260 is a 2nd generation DX10 part...

Don't trust random gaming sites that you read on the internet.

Try stuffing 128 GPUs and 64 machines in an enclosed area in a convention center and see how many survive :) Also with any game of this magnitude there is huge amount of work that is required to get the graphics card drivers to perform well and be stable, this is a normal part of the dev cycle and not "due to poor coding of alpha software".

It's an unconfirmed fact, to me. Usually, I take information like that with a grain of salt. I wasn't there, personally, so I didn't see it happen. Even if it were true, it doesn't dissuade me from buying BF3. I'm just relaying what I read, so try not to shoot the messenger. I apologize if what I said seemed inflammatory. My original point was that until the public has their hands on an actual retail build of the game, there's no way to determine whether or not Renegade's system configuration would safely run the game at his desired speed. My personal experience with the BC2 beta was an ongoing issue whenever I enabled HBAO. DICE addressed the issue by retail, so I'm more than convinced whatever issues people are claiming plagued early builds, will be dealt with.

Dude the GTX260 is a 2nd generation DX10 part...

I could have sworn it had zero DX10 functionality, then again I still rushed out and bought a new card(s). It was showing it's age, horrifically, so it was time I invested in something else. Regardless, I don't exactly regret replacing it :)

On a side note, the latest BF3 blog talks about weapon customization, but doesn't mention anything about a lingering question in my mind; Will there be the ability to customize hand guns, in addition to rifles? I'd love to ability to pack some decked out 1911, maybe with extended magazines, sound suppressors or target pointers.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...ttleblog-8-build-your-weapon-of-choice.aspx##

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have sworn it had zero DX10 functionality, then again I still rushed out and bought a new card(s). It was showing it's age, horrifically, so it was time I invested in something else. Regardless, I don't exactly regret replacing it :)

It is GT200, the most powerful and advanced DX10 chip ever produced. :smile:

Q9450 Quad Core 2.6ghz
4GB Corsair Ram
ATI HD 4850 512MB

Graphics / performance wise I would expect that system to wipe the floor with the PS3 version. I doubt you'll be able to max out the PC version with it though.

However theres a big difference between a non-maxed PC version and a console version.

Graphics / performance wise I would expect that system to wipe the floor with the PS3 version. I doubt you'll be able to max out the PC version with it though.

However theres a big difference between a non-maxed PC version and a console version.

I gt your drift, but it would be good if they release a benchmark like Stalker COP and RE5 did. It helps in the buying decision immensely !

I hope I can get into the Beta somehow ! Thats the best bet uptill now !

I gt your drift, but it would be good if they release a benchmark like Stalker COP and RE5 did. It helps in the buying decision immensely !

I hope I can get into the Beta somehow ! Thats the best bet uptill now !

The alpha ended a while ago. The beta, which will be an open one, starts sometime in September. People who pre-ordered Medal of Honor will receive a 48 hour early access to it.

The alpha ended a while ago. The beta, which will be an open one, starts sometime in September. People who pre-ordered Medal of Honor will receive a 48 hour early access to it.

Open in the sense, open for all? Meaning anybody can download? Or it 'll be theusual who has the extra code routine !

Back