Battlefield 3 announced

It is fun, and apart from the textures it's quite robust looking. Unfortunately the level itself isn't a grand showcase of what Frostbite 2.0 can do.

The opening field you start out in is 'meh' but the visuals improve dramatically in the subway portion of the map. I hope this isn't breaking NDA lol...

At present (alpha, and this particular level) I would rate it below Crysis 2 in terms of visuals. But obviously that's going to change as we get closer to release. We already know how good it CAN look on present hardware thanks to the various videos released by DICE.

With my GTX570 SC I'm running it on Max as well in 1080p. Average is like 50-54fps thereabouts.

It makes Bad Company 2 look like a kiddy's game imo.

It makes Bad Company 2 look like a kiddy's game imo.

Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that even in it's current alpha state BF3 makes BC2 look like a low budget kids game, or are you on about the gameplay.. or ... :smile:

Maybe he means they're dropped the whole surfer dude stoner slacker tone from BC2. For example dialog like "Hey man get yer fuckin ass over here this shit's fucked" after a match is over.

The atmosphere and the gameplay is what I'd call more 'professional'. More of what you'd expect in a real conflict as compared to BFBC2.

But yes, even in its alpha state this game is better looking than BFBC2.

Just got an Alpha Invite from EA somehow lol, downloading as I type. To be honest I am not that hyped for the game, but seeing as I got the invite I might as well give the game a try! :smile:

P.S. For those thinking "just pre-order it then", in some countries pre-ordering either isn't possible or may not even give you access to these pre-order hooks. Some countries still use pre-order as it was originally intended: you walk into the store on release date and you have a guaranteed copy.

also some country where no real official "gamestore", the parallel importers here will do the pre-order for us but not accepting pre-order. They will sell the game when the game arrive on their house. with higher price than the normal release.

at least that what happened in my country. so no need to pre order (actually,cant pre order...) to get the "karkand" map :D :D

Just got an Alpha Invite from EA somehow lol, downloading as I type. To be honest I am not that hyped for the game, but seeing as I got the invite I might as well give the game a try! :smile:

If you have any invites left, I'm willing to have some of my Canadian friends perform corporeal pleasures onto you!

If you have any invites left, I'm willing to have some of my Canadian friends perform corporeal pleasures onto you!
Sorry man, seems like I only got one key, and I doesn't look like there is any way for me to invite you as its a closed Alpha! Sorry bro :cry:

With that said, my DL finished early this morning so I was able to jump into a couple of matches quickly after work. I had to fiddle with the settings a bit as the game was defaulted to windowed mode and low graphics. After setting it to 1920x1080 and high spec, I jumped into a couple of matches and was pleasantly surprised by how it performs giving the hype the visuals have received since it was announced. Quite clearly this is not the highest level of detail the game can display, which means I will probably need to replace my Radeon 5770 if I want to game with all of the effects enabled that they have shown in the trailers. If I could make one complaint about the visuals as they are right now; it would be that the contrast is way off! The shadows are just way to dark, and the surrounding environment way too bright, making it difficult to spot enemies and overall just kind of ruining the image quality.

In terms of gameplay, it seems very solid and was really just a blast to play! I guess since I am under an "NDA" I really shouldn't say much more and have already probably said too much, but oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha is awesome now, gameplay has been really improved since last week. Actually feels like a BF now when they tweaked some stuff :), firefights tend to get awesome

Pachter thinks that BF3 PC version will only account for 10% of its sales. He's thinking that this will turn out like every other multiplatform title, but I think this one will be a bit more skewed in PCs favor. What's the consensus here? Yeah, it'll sell big on consoles, no doubt, especially X360, but I think the PC's got more of a fighting chance this time. I'm sure as hell picking it up on PC (but that's mainly because it's a shooter.. when it comes to shooters, there's just no contest).

Pachter thinks that BF3 PC version will only account for 10% of its sales. He's thinking that this will turn out like every other multiplatform title, but I think this one will be a bit more skewed in PCs favor. What's the consensus here? Yeah, it'll sell big on consoles, no doubt, especially X360, but I think the PC's got more of a fighting chance this time. I'm sure as hell picking it up on PC (but that's mainly because it's a shooter.. when it comes to shooters, there's just no contest).

Probably based on the sales statistics?
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/31444/battlefield-bad-company-2/ (which makes the PC version a nice 10.4% of the total sales)
PC WW sales for BC2 are around 600K units.
As a referenced, Battlefield 2 sold 2,25M units (number from 2006) which puts it right up there with the current consoles.

Who is Pachter and why do we care what he thinks?

The PC version will sell about as well as the 360 version worldwide, and they make more profit per PC version sold to boot.

Thanks for the benchmark

Any reason why the GTS250 manages to be so near the HD4870? Shouldn't the HD4870 be quite a bit faster, given it is faster in almost all other games and supports DX10.1?

Looks like the game even uses more than 4 cores

And it looks like dual core CPUs are practically useless. Oh well it's past time to upgrade anyway.

The strange thing in the CPU test is that the Athlon II X4 is much slower than the rest of the quad-core pack. Looking at the Phenoms in the chart one can only conclude that the omission of the L3 cache in that Athlon II plays some role here.

Back