Battlefield 3 announced

I have no problem finding good BC2 servers either but I have over 200 hrs on it and have a few good servers saved as favorites. I just jump on whichever has a free slot. Nothing's wrong with unlocks when they're so laughably easy to achieve. They're set up is to keep people interested in the game and give them a sense of purpose early on.

usually i just play on the Singapore server and usually at morning, nigh, and late night is filled with good players.

i just wish my ping can low.... average 250ms >_<

as for unlocks and leveling.
even today (i think level 40 or 50 .. i didnt pay attention), i still use M1 Garand and 1911 pistol.

weapons that already unlocked since begining :D

Only thing that is bugging me so far.. and which is becoming more obvious with all the high res screenshots and gameplay videos... the dead eyes on everybody.. just that gray.. empty.. blank stare.

Not sure if that is a residue of EA's ANT animation system.. but for instance, Bad Company 2.. the part in Japan during the video, you get some emotion from the guys because they squint their eyes etc. so far it's just all blank stares in BF3.

but hey, there is some time to improve... absolutely loving the 12 minute video and watching it for my third time today to check out all the juicy details.

Looks incredible. Easily the best looking of any exisiting or upcoming game. A true step up from Crysis.... finally!

Gameplay itself looks very Call of Duty style. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

EDIT: very impressive destruction as well :)

Lets hope they add proper bot support
Bots in fps games are total fail. Just play multiplayer and pretend their smart "bots".

However I will agree that it IS very good when you find a balanced server with sniper limits...
You kidding? I almost never have a problem with snipers on most maps (the new ones aren't as good as the old ones though)... they're so predictable and easy to flank. Worst case, whip out a sniper rifle yourself for one life and kill them all :) Rarely necessary though as assault rifles are pinpoint accurate when single-shotted.

I agree in general that it's better to err on the side of underpowered snipers than overpowered (same with helicopters), but sniping just isn't that great in BC2, unless of course you're talking about Vietnam...

Anyways BF3 will be great - I have high confidence :)

Only thing that is bugging me so far.. and which is becoming more obvious with all the high res screenshots and gameplay videos... the dead eyes on everybody.. just that gray.. empty.. blank stare.

In multiplayer, dead eyes on people you're shooting at is a good thing ;) You don't ever get close enough or long enough to see their eyes anyway so it won't matter. I agree though, there's a lot of room to improve facial expressions in games.

Just a side note from the trailer -- the sun's lens flare effect is really looking cheaply done, especially with heavy tick smoke around. I hope the final build will have something more realistic for this minor detail. ;)

In multiplayer, dead eyes on people you're shooting at is a good thing ;) You don't ever get close enough or long enough to see their eyes anyway so it won't matter. I agree though, there's a lot of room to improve facial expressions in games.

Just checking the video again and there are some expressions in the guys face when you beat him to pulp during "red wire" he has a "dedicated" look and one of "defeat" but the facial motion was well done in BC2.

also, some voice acting.. the guy voicing the "oh that's right, I keep forgetting they don't have schools where you come from" is lacking in emotion, a lot.. I sure hope that's the placeholder voice because if you want to be funny/witty/sarcastic.. you sure as hell should sound like it.

dead faces+reading lines instead of voice acting break the cinematic feel they want to add to the game.

Was hopping for some new scenes on vehicle combat :( (tanks specially)

It looks good overall, could use some parallax maping on some areas(or tesselation), the baked shadows in some places could use some tuning, like the shadow on the left fence under the air conditioner unit, its awkwardly stretched, or doesn't fade out well.
Also, i hope the game will let you turn off the cheesy lens flare, its more annoying than the old overdone fullscreen bloom trend.

This game just suddenly apeared on the radar. Love it that they target PC first and adjust to consoles. What impressed me most about the movies were the animations. Haven't seen them that impressive yet. :)

This game just suddenly apeared on the radar. Love it that they target PC first and adjust to consoles. What impressed me most about the movies were the animations. Haven't seen them that impressive yet. :)
Definitely, and it just goes to show that art budget has a *lot* to say in how good the graphics look in a title.

Technically yes, the engine is very impressive - but the animation is the first thing that stands out to me. That's a LOT of motion captured data.

Edit to add: Damn, looking at the massive video I'm really liking the object-based motion blur that seems to be on its way to becoming a standard feature in many games. Even at 60fps it helps convey smoothness and realism of motion far better than without.

Hell, they even have an excellent implementatoin of it in Lego Star Wars III, believe it or not and it looks great (well the entire game looks fantastic - yes, a Lego title!).

Properly implemented, motion blur adds quite nice cinematic feel and helps to smooth over the FPS fluctuations. It also removes the discrete nature of frame-rate progression in 3D graphics, by simulating smooth linked exposures in reel film cameras.

Back