Battlefield 3 announced

Are you gimped much if you don't purchase weapons or equipment?

Regards,
SB

No, default weapons are quite good, M16A2 was/IS OP but if you have any skill you can purchase it from your in game moneyz.

btw, 5 keys here as well.

edit: last night I found out that the "reset character" button actually makes you lose your last earned training point :(

After reading the slides I have little hope that those of us with DX 10 cards will see anything like the visuals in the trailers. Also, thought it was interesting how pessimistic DICE is about the IHVs getting parallel dispatch into their drivers anytime soon.

HDAO = directional ambient occlusion?

HDAO = High Definition Ambient Occlusion (AMD)

HBAO = Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion (Nvidia)

And the lacks of shadows on the video above by the gun ligh, is a sign that this game will not push the borderings on graphics just like Crysis 1 did, but at least it will be playable in a large range of dx10/11 cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it just means they have a different graphics focus than Crytek. Crytek really pushed realtime lighting and shadows, IMO. DICE might be scaling back a bit on that compared to Crytek while focusing more on other features.

I'm still looking forward to a fantastic looking game either way.

Regards,
SB

From pg. 11 of the slides (emphasis mine):

"Tile-based Deferred Shading using Compute Shaders

Primarily for analytical light sources
› Point lights, cone lights, line lights
No shadows
› Requires Compute Shader 5.0"

Am I reading that right? Is that really the cost of doing fast deferred shading? Is that a good compromise?

From pg. 11 of the slides (emphasis mine):

"Tile-based Deferred Shading using Compute Shaders

Primarily for analytical light sources
› Point lights, cone lights, line lights
No shadows
› Requires Compute Shader 5.0"

Am I reading that right? Is that really the cost of doing fast deferred shading? Is that a good compromise?

Most likely only means lights with shadows are treated differently.

Most likely only means lights with shadows are treated differently.

My impression from the slides is that they have tens, perhaps hundreds of compute shader lights; the shadows, I expect, are cast from one point light at infinite distance. I don't know, I'll have to watch the videos more closely. Also, that snippet may be slightly out of context as, they're discussing a hybrid deferred tile-based/traditional renderer. I think I snipped the deferred part. In any case it's pretty damn interesting what they're doing, dare I say, ballsy.

And the lacks of shadows on the video above by the gun ligh, is a sign that this game will not push the borderings on graphics just like Crysis 1 did, but at least it will be playable in a large range of dx10/11 cards.

That is a lot of assumptions based on a single missing shadow on a spotlight! :)

I had to disable that specific flashlight spotlight shadow in the last minute due to some precision problems causing flickering (the world is huge) that we didn't have time to fix for that specific old build.

A better sign on the level of tech in the game is to look at the overall video as well as on http://publications.dice.se

That is a lot of assumptions based on a single missing shadow on a spotlight! :)

I had to disable that specific flashlight spotlight shadow in the last minute due to some precision problems causing flickering (the world is huge) that we didn't have time to fix for that specific old build.

A better sign on the level of tech in the game is to look at the overall video as well as on http://publications.dice.se

In repi we trust!

jumptoconclusions.jpg

One thing I already know is that unlike good ole voxel based Delta Force it will have map options of small and teeny. Sniping means shooting someone from across the road.

One thing I already know is that unlike good ole voxel based Delta Force it will have map options of small and teeny. Sniping means shooting someone from across the road.

Oh those delta force deathmatches. Sniping was evil.

Yeah, I followed the discussion on Twitter that they didn't like too many players, afraid that it would turn into grenade spam. I always wondered how that other awesome shooter and succesor to the Delta Forces, Joint Operations : Typhoon Rising managed to cope..

Oh yeah.. 150 players and large .. awesome and LARGE maps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KmLQWNT2Q&feature=related

Large maps = no grenade spam (unless you have GL weapons with unlimited ammo. )

Please DICE, I know your playtests focus on some frantic close quarter combat situation, but the cool thing about karkand was that you could move everywhere around the map if you wanted and not be afraid about one single sniper pwning everyone.

Yeah, I followed the discussion on Twitter that they didn't like too many players, afraid that it would turn into grenade spam. I always wondered how that other awesome shooter and succesor to the Delta Forces, Joint Operations : Typhoon Rising managed to cope..

Oh yeah.. 150 players and large .. awesome and LARGE maps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KmLQWNT2Q&feature=related

Large maps = no grenade spam (unless you have GL weapons with unlimited ammo. )

Please DICE, I know your playtests focus on some frantic close quarter combat situation, but the cool thing about karkand was that you could move everywhere around the map if you wanted and not be afraid about one single sniper pwning everyone.

It's so sad that Novalogic's trajectory lowered so. I still play jotr and jocag because (tho i haven't played the new cod), I feel that I can be more creative in my play due to the large maps and of course vehicles etc. There's nothing like sniping across between islands, with a second delay and about over a ten foot drop.

There's nothing like rushing those 40 year old gamer snipers and exposing their lack of Quake play time as well... :)

For Novalogic to save their flailing company they should attempt a modern implementation of Ken Silveman's voxlap engine...They'd be guaranteed triple digit sales, at least.

I didn't even notice a missing shadow! Still looks amazing regardless, the first game I've seen to take a measurable step beyond Crysis. This is the game I'll be buying a DX11 GPU for!

And thanks for the clarification repi, always great to see developers talking with the community.

Back