PS3 getting louder and louder. Any solutions?

Mine was getting noisey during hotter days and during certain games (LBP in particular after around 5/10 mins).

Anyway, the other day I got my Dyson (cylinder model - so it's basically all plastic) and sucked as near to the vents as I could get - I also put my finger over any part of the vacum nozel that wasn't over vents to maximize suck.

It now seems fine (touches wood), it's def. a heat (time of year thing) but as the vents were clogged that will obviously contribute (IMHO).

Mine died in a similar way as well, but the shop where I bought it from said they and Sony would fix it.

Here in Germany broken PS3 get replaced by TVS repair, and they usually just replace your unit, (then fix it later and send the refurb to someone else I guess)
Now that wouldn't have bothered me all that much if it didn't mean that I'd lose some of my save files (Demon's Souls in particular), as they are often copy protected. They also want €240 for the exchange, which is just insane considering you can find the system for €300 new quite easily and with another Dual Shock controller. Essentially you're paying top dollar for someone elses broken system.

They also want €240 for the exchange...
Within warranty?! :oops: If so, they're on the fiddle and your European consumer rights say they should replace/repair the system free of charge. That's how it is in the UK. They turned up with a replacement refurb and took the old PS3 away.

My 60gig launch model has been annoyingly loud for some time now. Neither vacuuming nor compressed air seem to alleviate the issue nor do I believe it is related to heat/time of the year. I am somewhat concerned that my PS3 may be on its last leg.

Last time I put PS3 in a little enclosure just for watching DVDs and it was loud. So I moved it out to open space again and it became silent again. So my guess room or ambient tempreture determined the fan speed also.

So if the temp diode malfunction you can get a loud PS3 whatever you do.

Here in Germany broken PS3 get replaced by TVS repair, and they usually just replace your unit, (then fix it later and send the refurb to someone else I guess)
Now that wouldn't have bothered me all that much if it didn't mean that I'd lose some of my save files (Demon's Souls in particular), as they are often copy protected. They also want €240 for the exchange, which is just insane considering you can find the system for €300 new quite easily and with another Dual Shock controller. Essentially you're paying top dollar for someone elses broken system.

I did not have to pay anything in sweden. Also, I did a system backup, shouldn't that work for save files?

Um, i dont remember the EU laws, but im pretty sure the PS3 is classified by a computer in europe, and thus have a certain warranty (much longer than before when game consoles where classified as toys), in many countries, this means 1-5year warranty by law. Meaning you get a new console for free, as long as you didn't break it by doing something stupid.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid - I've seen this with a lot of products, listing one year warranty when EU law clearly states two.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid - I've seen this with a lot of products, listing one year warranty when EU law clearly states two.

Nope, that's just wrong. The EU gives statutory defects liability for 2 years and not contractual guarantee which is something different. Now, here's the catch though within the first 6 month the burden of proof lies with the seller, after that the burden of proof lies with the buyer.

Within warranty?! :oops: If so, they're on the fiddle and your European consumer rights say they should replace/repair the system free of charge. That's how it is in the UK. They turned up with a replacement refurb and took the old PS3 away.

Nah. If you are still within the 1-year warranty limit it should be free, but I'm not. (I'm a month or two over the 2-year limit actually)
Still, paying €240 for a bare bones refurbished PS3 is insane if you can easily find the system new for around €300 bundled with a controller (or €400 with 2 games).

Since the only defunct part of my system was the disc drive I'd probably get a nice amount of cash for it on ebay as well.

Nah. If you are still within the 1-year warranty limit it should be free, but I'm not. (I'm a month or two over the 2-year limit actually)
Still, paying €240 for a bare bones refurbished PS3 is insane if you can easily find the system new for around €300 bundled with a controller (or €400 with 2 games).

Since the only defunct part of my system was the disc drive I'd probably get a nice amount of cash for it on ebay as well.

It should be free for you as long as you are within the 3 year period set by the EU.

3 years?! Which part of the EU law is that one different to the one talked about above?

I'd love to know about that as well. The only thing you get a 3 year warranty for is the RROD on the 360, but that is entirely MS's own business and has nothing to do with EU laws.

StefanS is pretty much right as far as I know.

3 years?! Which part of the EU law is that one different to the one talked about above?

That might just be Sweden's interpretation of the EU directive (there are no EU laws as I understand it) and it was taken from a YLOD thread on a swedish forum. EU directive implementation can differ between countries.

Nope, that's just wrong. The EU gives statutory defects liability for 2 years and not contractual guarantee which is something different. Now, here's the catch though within the first 6 month the burden of proof lies with the seller, after that the burden of proof lies with the buyer.

Ah ok, fair enough. Like mentioned above, the directive can be implemented in different ways in different countries (which makes Europe still such a b*tch to release products in ;) ) and in The Netherlands its basically a full guarantee for 2 years I think. There is even something else either in EU law or in Dutch law that says something about certain products having a certain expected life-cycle, and if the product fails within that time-frame, you can still get a guarantee if it involves mechanical failure not of your own doing. Like it could be five years for televisions (not sure on the details).

That might just be Sweden's interpretation of the EU directive (there are no EU laws as I understand it).
The article in this post suggests otherwise ;) Sweden could just be doing their own thing, exceeding the EU directive, because they feel 3 years is a more appropriate life expectancy. As do I. Indeed 5 years should be the minimum at least. You shouldn't expect people to go and buy a new TV or console or whatever every year because they keep breaking down. They should be built better.

I wonder why so many PS3s get louder after time. My PS3 is more quick to get louder too even when just watching an xvid. Dust should only raise temps about 3-5c in most cases. I guess it's a combination of dust plus older ps3 unit's cpu/gpu being manufactured on bigger process and on top of that having some ps2 hardware in there. Or could it be wear and tear on the cheap fans causing it to raise its setting to get more air moving than what it used to?

Well for me it definitely was just dust. And I use my PS3 every day for an average of a few hours, whether its gaming, browsing, dvd/bluray, etc. I recently had to move my PS3 out from an enclosed space and put it upright next to the TV, as I bought a new amplifier and a bunch of new speakers and the new amp needed more depth. The PS3 needs as much depth (what with HDMI cables being a nuisance ;) and so I decided to take it out. But then the fan noise started to annoy me and I started noticing more clearly that it was going to maximum fan speed rather quickly. The vacuum cleaning solved this problem. Again, last time was about a year ago. I think for intensive use once a year of having to clean the PS3 isn't very extreme.

That said, yes of course the PS3 is a machine packed with hot technology (literally) and it may well be that it's innovative sideways cooling mega-fan is more prone to dust causing it to become less effective (smaller areas to blow air through throughout the PS3). Thankfully it does its job well though ;) (few PS3s seem to die from overheating).

Back