[360, PS3] Bayonetta

I literally couldn't watch the gametrailers review in one sitting. The character and enemy design, the music, and the acting and voices in the cutscenes were all just way too far out - at least for me.

I mean, sure, they are imaginative and creative and relatively well crafted - but that doesn't make them any less opposed to what my tastes are...

I literally couldn't watch the gametrailers review in one sitting. The character and enemy design, the music, and the acting and voices in the cutscenes were all just way too far out - at least for me.

I mean, sure, they are imaginative and creative and relatively well crafted - but that doesn't make them any less opposed to what my tastes are...

Well, I'm with you on this one. also after playing the demo on both platforms. There were some glimmers of nice looking graphics, but generally I really didn't like it. And not the gameplay either.

You're not alone. I was actually a cheerleader by default earlier because of Kamiya; the man did direct some of my favorite games of all time. RE2 and the original DMC, and his other works were notable too such as Okami and Viewtiful Joe. After I played both demos, I just couldn't stand the combination you mentioned and I didn't find the controls to be intuitive at all. The J-pop inspired soundtrack in particular irked me to no end and the protagonist was not compelling at all.

As developers, the hoopla surrounding the PS3 port made me lose some of my respect for them. That's a whole other rant.

Sega did the PS3 port (or delegated it to someone else, I'm not sure of the details), not Platinum Games who were in charge of the Xbox 360 version.

Sega did the PS3 port (or delegated it to someone else, I'm not sure of the details), not Platinum Games who were in charge of the Xbox 360 version.

My point precisely. Since the game's announcement, they commented on the progress of the PS3 version as "going smoothly" whenever asked (particularly after the E3 absence). Everyone assumed that they were handling both. When a playable PS3 code was released in late August, they actually posted a retraction on the official blog that they had little to do with it, though they worked with Sega to ensure it was a quality port.

Days after that, they completely washed their hands off it and even asked Sega and Famitsu to post disclaimers that the PS3 version was "converted by Sega" (in-game and in the mag). Even during press events leading to release, they requested journalists not to ask any questions about the PS3 version. That didn't incite much confidence and when the final versions hit Japan, it was clear why.

They can't just hand off their work to another team and expect others to treat it with the same care they would.

I'm going to give this game a chance, because I'm getting this on friday. I had preordered and paid Dragons Age for X360, but then I bought my PC and decided to get DA on it, and I had to change my preordered X360 game. I blindly chose Bayonetta without knowing anything about it, I lol'd when I got home and noticed it's DMC with a chick, an absolute horror combination for me. I'll play it through and swap it for Assassins Greed 2 with my friend after I'm done.

Interestingly enough the PS3 version is outselling the 360 one according to Wikipedia, I hope it doesn't give Sega any ideas. I wonder if any of the bigger issues will be patch-able, just thinking, since there recently was a successful patch of the PS3 version of Ghostbusters.

The J-pop inspired soundtrack in particular irked me to no end and the protagonist was not compelling at all.

I was gonna mention the soundtrack, it's particularly bad to me as well. Generally speaking I don't like Japanese made games anymore with some rare exceptions like RE5, as for the most part they all seem stuck in the 90's with regards to content, voice acting, script, music, etc. Bayonetta though is kooky enough that I might give it a try in spite of the ear grating soundtrack.

Interestingly enough the PS3 version is outselling the 360 one according to Wikipedia, I hope it doesn't give Sega any ideas. I wonder if any of the bigger issues will be patch-able, just thinking, since there recently was a successful patch of the PS3 version of Ghostbusters.

I assume that is from the Japanese version. Since in Japan PS3 have a much larger use base vs 360, it shouldn't be a surprise that PS3 version outselling the 360.

Don't think it can be patched though without redesigning the game. It is one of those game that is tailor made to suite the strength of 360.

Don't think it can be patched though without redesigning the game. It is one of those game that is tailor made to suite the strength of 360.

Yeah, whatever they do, it requires heavy re-coding to get around a lot of the issues. A patch enough wouldn't do any good. However, an install option would be feasible and appreciated since loading times are reportedly super long.

Sales wise, there have been a number of Japanese games that sold better worldwide on the PS3, and this may end up one of them (referring to RE5, DMC4, SFIV)

Bayonetta though is kooky enough that I might give it a try in spite of the ear grating soundtrack.

Luckily there is that custom soundtrack option on the 360.

gamersyde review is up. Looks like its one of the best game this gen has to offer.
And stop whining about char design its jap. game you should used to weird chars. like giant talking sinks etc. after playing FF, dargon q. and so on. Just give the game chance its pure fun as a console game should be, thats the reason we got consoles on first place.

Yeah, whatever they do, it requires heavy re-coding to get around a lot of the issues. A patch enough wouldn't do any good. However, an install option would be feasible and appreciated since loading times are reportedly super long.
Now it was surprising that they didn't fix that. It seemed like something that was doable before the product released.

gamersyde review is up. Looks like its one of the best game this gen has to offer.
And stop whining about char design its jap. game you should used to weird chars. like giant talking sinks etc. after playing FF, dargon q. and so on. Just give the game chance its pure fun as a console game should be, thats the reason we got consoles on first place.
Bayonetta definitely has its appeals and I'm liking the game a lot so far, but it is after all 1/1000 reasons why I bought the consoles my friend :).

Bayonetta definitely has its appeals and I'm liking the game a lot so far, but it is after all 1/1000 reasons why I bought the consoles my friend :).

yeah im not saying i bought console to play bayoneta only i bought console to play console games in general if i wanted to play PC games i would buy PC and got same games with better gfx and cheaper.
My point is Bayonetta is fine as it is weird char design is nothing new in jap. games, not all games have to be dead serious ;).

It's a good change up for me. Back in the day, I probably gravitated more to the japanese designed games. I'm also a casual fan of animes like Bleach, Robotech and DBZ; so these characters are not all that unusual to me.

Back