Silly Season 09 - (Football transfers)

This is exactly why i think they need it. In the chelsea match, Barca clearly struggled against such a good defending team. Their lack of aerial challenge severely hurt their ability to create chances. Aspecially in the first match, they mostly just passed the ball around, trying to find a way through, but largely failing to do so.

If they had a striker that posed a serious aerial challenge, they would have more options against chelsea. As we all saw, passing the ball into dangerous positions against a 9 man chelsea team in defence mode, is very hard. There are many accomplished crossers on your team,but your lack of aerial powers hinders you to score goals in this field.

I can see that Eto's personality is a downer on the team however, and replacing him with villa would be a good choice either way. Its going to be silly thought, if Laporta one day slams RM for spending € 60 mill euro for kaka, and a couple weeks later shell out close to 50 for Villa. Same age, both world class players, but Kaka has a ballon d'or and certainly has much bigger marketing worth.

Looking at today's market on big target men -
1- Emmanuel Adebayor (on and off to much for me)
2- Zlatan Ibrahimović (overated)
3- Drogba (attitude problem)

Cant see any of these going to Barca at the min so for the min Pep and his team are going to just adjust their tactics when facing an oppenent like Chelsea again. I would also agree with the speculation about Laporta slamming Madrid for the spending but as you know in todays football world money talks. Looking forward to the El Clasico games next season, I cant see another 2-6 win for Barca again. ;)

My bad, haven't paid good enough attention. I just seemed to have remember them paying a little to much for some striker and now johnson. I was 100% incorrect, (that great prices).

In general, i feel that a lot of the clubs overpay. Its not like a laugh about it, RM is the biggest offender of all.

I actually didn't have the "pleasure" of seing the Liverpool-RM match, saw RM-Liverpool, which imo was a terribly boring match, RM played poorly, and liverpool did just what was enough.

Ive started enjoying watching liverpool play lately, mostly due to torres. Any long through pass is interesting when somebody has his pace.

Well kudos for the intelligent reply. I'll reign in my belligerence a tad now ;). Not too sure who the striker you're thinking of is. Babel maybe? (although calling him a striker is generous).

Real Madrid certainly over-pay for players, and the crux of the matter is that they do so because they can afford to. Paying 10-20% more than another team is willing to forces the issue and ensures you get the players you want. The Johnson signing you could certainly argue was overpriced, but then it was the going rate. It's not as if other teams weren't willing to pay it - sometimes you just have to put your hands in your pocket to get the player you want. I think people will be surprised by Johnson next season - he's a player that's made great strides in the last two years and he's now got his big chance to make a name for himself. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why i think they need it. In the chelsea match, Barca clearly struggled against such a good defending team. Their lack of aerial challenge severely hurt their ability to create chances. Aspecially in the first match, they mostly just passed the ball around, trying to find a way through, but largely failing to do so.

Barca certainly did struggle against Chelsea at times, but then they did create enough chances to bury the game in the first tie and simply didn't take them. I think it would be a mistake for them to buy a classic "target" man and change their style of play accordingly - but perhaps buying a forward who provides more of a threat in the air would be a good idea.

Drogba would be an obvious candidate as he's (allegedly) available. Can't see him in a Barca shirt though - just doesn't seem right to me. The fact he wouldn't be able to play in any CL group games would be a slight problem as well. ;)

I agree, there are no likely canditates, and villa is a good buy, i would rate him higher than eto, with much better morale. I guess its the only probable buy in attack for barca, but it wont gain them much aside from morale.

PS: i didn't mean that barca should change tactics, just that replacing somebody with eto, with the same talents that also poses a serious aerial threat would add them a lot more options in attack, but not loosing any. Sadly, there aren't many of those players around.

Saviola was sold yesterday for 5 mill euro from RM to Benfica.

CR officially signed.

Sure hope we get Alonso from liverpool.
-----Casillas----
Ramos-Pepe-Albiol-New guy\marcelo

-----------Xabi - Lass----------
CR --------Kaka------Robben
----------Higuain--------

Then swap out robben, add in RvN for heading power and run 442 with cr and kaka running freely like figo and zidane in the glory days.

With a new left back aswell, i think this would give barca a run for their money.

So whats the update on the Transfer market today,

I see that Ronaldo has been officially announced as a Madrid player, Man City have offered Eto'o a ridiculous salary and that the Carlos Tevez affair is still unsettled.

Any other gossip ?

Valencia signed for Man Utd

I like the fact that the transfer is for an "Undisclosed fee". They obviously don't want to let it be known how much they have overpaid. I'm guessing it will be at least £15m (the report mentions a figure around this value) which I think will probably be too much as Valencia is decent but I'm not certain he's that great a player yet.

Wigan are certainly raking in the money from their South/Central American signings - first Palacios and now Valencia.

As for Manyoo, they certainly need to look at another striker as they now only have three on their books - Rooney, Berbatov and the inexperienced Welbeck. Lots of wingers through. I'll be pleased to see Rooney get more of an opportunity to play as a striker as he's spent most of the last two seasons in wide positions doing Ronaldo's work for him.

I agree ^^

Man Utd should go for Karim Benzema, i think he could do the role of striker for them and easy link up with Rooney.

What is still going with Tevez and Eto'o are they joining Man City or what ??

Crap. Hope it's false. There is no point getting another striker, certainly not a young one. Higuain is one year older and scores more goals.

I'd rather have villa, although benzema has great potential, villa is already world class. Playtime would be a big issue, raul will undoubtedly play a lot, even when he's not deserving a spot. RvN is a goal machine with the highest consistency in the world (like 0.7 goals match over 11 seasons.). Higuain has shown that he is one of the biggest talents in the world. Then you have benzema and huntelaar. Oh well, maybe perez will sell hunt.

Don't get me wrong, benzema is good and plays like a young Ronaldo (real Ronaldo) but there are other positions that need strenghtening alot more than the forward line.

Crap. Hope it's false. There is no point getting another striker, certainly not a young one. Higuain is one year older and scores more goals.

I'd rather have villa, although benzema has great potential, villa is already world class

if this is true and goes ahead, I can see Barca making sure they def land Villa

Lyon deny the bid for benzema today. Saying they have recieved a bid of substancially more than €35 mill. They also said that ""But nobody has ever said that it came from Real Madrid. There has been no agreement made with anyone.""

However,
Benzema's agent, Karim Djaziri, has told French radio that a deal has been agreed between the two clubs and that only personal terms and a medical need to be completed to see the move go through.

Tevez joins City july 6th.

Where did you hear that mate, do you a have a link.

So are we any closer to finding out if Benzema is a Madrid/Man Utd or Lyon player and by the looks of it Eto'o is playing with fire and accusing the Barca board of directors as liars so that Man City move could be still on.

Just seen over on the Guillem Balague website that David Villa has already been in contact with Barca Sporting Director Tixi Begiristain and is set to join the Champions this summer.

I found the tevez news on goal.com

benzema to rm confirmed by Lyon. 35mill euro and 6mill potential extra fee based on performance.

This is insane. Dunno if it was wise to spend so much money on a player we dont really need (higuain,raul,RvN,huntelaar) but i hear Benzema can sometimes play as a left wing, so i guess its a nice backup. I wonder who will get sold, one of the dutch for sure, personally im not to happy about that, RvN is a goal machine and huntelaar looks to be a nistelroy in the making.

Now, i hope RM signs a left back, and perhaps a good CM (if they manage to sell off VdV etc)

Huntelaar was rumoured to be on his way out, I believe, probably to an English club. Can't remember exactly where I read this rumour though so it may be baseless.

Not sure myself who RM will let go, think ur right and it is def going to be 1 of the dutch players, all 100 of them :LOL::LOL:

in saying that I can see Barca def landing David Villa now. Away from La Liga is there any new news regarding the English Prem League, other than the new Man Utd signing. Haven't heard anything from Chelsea or Arsenal.

in saying that I can see Barca def landing David Villa now..

If they can convince Valencia to sell.

Remember, RM met Valencia's asking price twice, but they rejected it, upped their demands until eventually, valencia said he was not for sale.

I reckon that Perez & Co are pretty good negotiators, (not saying that Barca is worse) but you still need to convince Valencia. Ofc, given enough cash they probably will sell, but im not sure laporta would want that, it would make him look like a complete moron, after he has been slamming RM in the press every day since the Kaka bid was official. And to convince valencia, you might need as much as €50 mill.

If they can convince Valencia to sell.

Remember, RM met Valencia's asking price twice, but they rejected it, upped their demands until eventually, valencia said he was not for sale.

I reckon that Perez & Co are pretty good negotiators, (not saying that Barca is worse) but you still need to convince Valencia. Ofc, given enough cash they probably will sell, but im not sure laporta would want that, it would make him look like a complete moron, after he has been slamming RM in the press every day since the Kaka bid was official. And to convince valencia, you might need as much as €50 mill.

agree but a highly rated source has stated that David Villa and his agent has met with Tixi Begiristain and that a agreement has been made for him to join Barca but like you said Barca now need to speak with Valencia. If it does go ahead I can see Barca doing some sort of deal that involves Bojan going to Valencia on loan.

agree but a highly rated source has stated that David Villa and his agent has met with Tixi Begiristain and that a agreement has been made for him to join Barca but like you said Barca now need to speak with Valencia. If it does go ahead I can see Barca doing some sort of deal that involves Bojan going to Valencia on loan.

David Villa and his agent had also been in madrid, and had worked out contract details according to varius reports, but thats the easy part when dealing with a valencia player.

Getting David Villa to be willing to accept a personal deal is the easiest thing in the world, if your Barcelona or Real Madrid. Its getting valencia to agree on a fee thats the hard part.

Gah, Perez should have seen this coming and fixed a Figo deal. Id rather have Villa over benzema.

Hope Valencia doesn't sell Villa now.

Back