Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - looks astounding!!!

I should get this some day ! Need to wrap up ME2 first.

You really should, its such a fantastic game, better than GoW3 IMO. The level/stage variety and the length of the game as well as the combat mechanics (which is much deeper than GoW3) is something that I have longed for since the start of this generation. One of my game of 2010.

Oh get ready for some serious eye candy. Such a gorgeous game. Loved every minute of it.

I have to agree. I loved GoWIII, but I actually enjoyed this more.
To me, the combat system wasn't a lot deeper, but it is definitely deeper and more enjoyable than GoW. There's also more traversing and puzzles (which are more difficult to solve) and the game has a nice length. Even though it took me just over 20 hours to beat (with a lot of back-tracking), I never felt like the game was dragging on. The character progression and varied levels/enemies/bosses really keeps you entertained.

It may not be as clean as GoWIII, and the framerate is definitely not as smooth, but every level looks incredible. The surround sound is also well done.

Definitely worth picking up.

I'm on Chapter VII now and agree with both scently and djskribbles.

Although maybe not technically superior , I find the graphical style much more pleasing. The gameplay is also a lot of fun although I find myself rarely using the secondary weapons even though they can be very helpful.

I'm on Chapter VII now and agree with both scently and djskribbles.

Although maybe not technically superior , I find the graphical style much more pleasing. The gameplay is also a lot of fun although I find myself rarely using the secondary weapons even though they can be very helpful.

My sentiments exactly, it might not have all the effects seen in GOW3 but the variety, art style are a lot more pleasing and impressive to me.

I loved the presentation, but otherwise the whole needlessly bloated package just came across as a mess of borrowed ideas, amateurishly slapped together without any understanding of why they worked so well originally: it's got God of War-combat minus the violent grace, the satisfaction and fluidity, Shadow of the Colossus boss battles without any sort of excitement because they reduced them to simplistic pattern recognition and quick time events, trial-and-error platforming segments because the game never quite manages to make up its mind of what is an invisible wall and what is just a deadly chasm, and entire sections dedicated to dull puzzles. It also accomplished something I thought to be nigh impossible: making me dread further voice-overs by the great Patrick Stewart.
On top of that the game is plagued by poor camera angles (you really have to accidentally twist the stick in the right direction if you don't want to end up stuck in the Titan Graveyard for all eternity) and a level of engine performance that just doesn't cut it for the genre.

You really should, its such a fantastic game, better than GoW3 IMO. The level/stage variety and the length of the game as well as the combat mechanics (which is much deeper than GoW3) is something that I have longed for since the start of this generation. One of my game of 2010.

Oh get ready for some serious eye candy. Such a gorgeous game. Loved every minute of it.

Agreed. Much better than GoW3, and it has me salivating for DLC and the inevitable sequel.

finished the game. nice! liked it a lot. Graphics and settings are cool. Character design is really great. I can recommend it 100% (there where some annoying parts, like this Titan graveyard part, where I got stuck...but after a few weeks, I did it :)).

What is so good about combat? I just use the standard attack combo (square, square, square on PS3) and ducking and rolling and never had much trouble to be honest. Sometimes activate light magic to regain health...et voilá! All the million special attacks and combos are so clumsy to use (hold down square some time until combo starts, then repeatedly push square...really?!?! ever heard of combat flow...and fast paced action?!!?)

I am wondering about the ending, which I quite don't get?!?!

But, I find it quite amusing and even irritating that some of you guys put this over GOW3 (with respect to graphics, story, combat, epic settings, boss battles, overall entertainment)...my personal opinion is that GOW3 is in its own league...with respect to all games ever released :mrgreen:

But if someone is tired of GOW3...Castlevania is highly recommended (extrem good value too: about 15-20 hours non-boring gameplay!!)

I recently finished Castlevania LOS and then a played a bit more of GOWIII for comparison.

I liked LOS a lot more overall although keys to beat a lot of the bosses came down to pattern recognition with judicial and frequent use of the dodge/roll button. Graphically, I liked the look of LOS more as well although I will admit that some of the graphics in GOWIII were out of this world (I guess I prefer the art direction in LOS).

It seemed to me that the controls had less of a lag compared to GOWIII, although the running of platforms due to a mere twitch got real annoying to me in LOS--I know I died at least 10+ trying to reposition the character only to go running off the edge.

The hero is also more likable to me as he is set-up to be more tragic and someone you can relate to compared to the over-angry Kratos whose vengeance got old after GOWII. Kratos almost feels like a type-casted holywood actor by now.

I can say that I'm looking forward to a Castlevania sequel than GOW sequel, although both are welcome (especially with the vid at the ending of the credits).

I enjoyed them both equally overall. I liked the gameplay/combat system more in LOS, but GoW was more polished and I enjoyed the story more. Visually, they both impressed me a lot in different ways. GoW is extremely clean, sharp, has huge draw distances and some of the best character models ever. LOS is very consistent and it just looks great.

finished the game. nice! liked it a lot. Graphics and settings are cool. Character design is really great. I can recommend it 100% (there where some annoying parts, like this Titan graveyard part, where I got stuck...but after a few weeks, I did it :)).

What is so good about combat? I just use the standard attack combo (square, square, square on PS3) and ducking and rolling and never had much trouble to be honest. Sometimes activate light magic to regain health...et voilá! All the million special attacks and combos are so clumsy to use (hold down square some time until combo starts, then repeatedly push square...really?!?! ever heard of combat flow...and fast paced action?!!?)

I am wondering about the ending, which I quite don't get?!?!

But, I find it quite amusing and even irritating that some of you guys put this over GOW3 (with respect to graphics, story, combat, epic settings, boss battles, overall entertainment)...my personal opinion is that GOW3 is in its own league...with respect to all games ever released :mrgreen:

But if someone is tired of GOW3...Castlevania is highly recommended (extrem good value too: about 15-20 hours non-boring gameplay!!)

I understand these sentiments, you do know that people are allowed to have their own opinion, I enjoyed C:LOS more than I enjoeyed GoW3, you shouldn't be irritated or amused because everyone have their own taste, and I think the sooner we respect everyone opinion without criticising it the better things will be in forums. Your choices and opinion does not supersede nor are they superior to someone else's. :rolleyes:

I just think it's kinda funny when people call the GoW series button-mash-y (which it certainly is) and then call Castlevania LoS's combat system deep. Like Billy Idol said: square-button with the occasional use of light magic gets the job done quicker, easier and safer than toying around with the staggering amount of utterly pointless attack variations. Since all the enemies and bosses basically behave the exact same way, changing your own strategies is downright foolish. Sadly this everything but the kitchen sink design mentality permeates every single aspect of the game. There's a whole bunch of stuff in that game, but it's fairly obvious that hardly any of it has been given the necessary amount of thought.

I just think it's kinda funny when people call the GoW series button-mash-y (which it certainly is) and then call Castlevania LoS's combat system deep. Like Billy Idol said: square-button with the occasional use of light magic gets the job done quicker, easier and safer than toying around with the staggering amount of utterly pointless attack variations.

If you did that, then your fights probably lasts far longer than mine did. Some enemies fell very quickly to certain attacks, very quickly as in bringing them to that 'im glowing because im vulnerable' state in mere seconds. You can button mash your way through the game to be sure, it will just take you far longer.

Castlevania has a nice way of rewarding for playing well. I think the weakness in it's combat are the dodge move, using it even if the enemies aren't about to hit you works very well. The poor camera angles, and many enemies using the same attacks.

If they can fix that in a sequel or the DLC, they would have an excellent combat system.

I wouldn't call the system deep, but it is varied to a degree.
I particularly utilized the attack-jump combo to propel the smaller enemies in the air and then the grab mechanic to continue air combos. None of this would work on any of the sub-bosses/bosses.

Changing up your attack combos also increased your orb-filling meter where when filled dropped orbs on every hit. The system is not Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden deep, but I have hopes that the sequel will incorporate more main weapons ala GOW, Bayonetta and NG.

I understand these sentiments, you do know that people are allowed to have their own opinion, I enjoyed C:LOS more than I enjoeyed GoW3, you shouldn't be irritated or amused because everyone have their own taste, and I think the sooner we respect everyone opinion without criticising it the better things will be in forums. Your choices and opinion does not supersede nor are they superior to someone else's. :rolleyes:

ok, so here you have it...I allow you your own opinion...
but at least you could explain why you think combat in C:LOS is so much better then combat in GOW3

with respect to combat:

maybe joker you are right that some of those combos get you faster to the victory (although I am not quite sure if needed an extrem long time to finish the game?!?).
I am also not quite sure if you need those combos when playing on higher difficulties, as I just finished it on normal.

but my main point is fluidity! All the combos need some kind of holding to start the combo or something like this. furthermore, having to press the stick to absorb the orbs is not optimal as well, as it really breaks again the combat fluidity. I like that you can switch to light and dark magic during combos and combat...this is good.

at the end, I have bought nearly all of the combos and special attacks. typically used non of them (except maybe the double air dash attack, followed by holding square to trigger the wipe attack or whats it called), at the end when finishing the game I have over 38k orbs left to buy new combos, I was interested to buy this special light attack for 25k...but at the end, I just did not borther at all...in GOW3 for comparison, I upgraded everything to max :cool:

You don't need them on a higher difficulty at all. I breezed pretty much effortlessly through the highest difficulty with square, hold+square, square, ... combo (I don't even wanna touch the highest difficulty mode in God of War III). The only other move I thought was really good was the one the sends both Gabriel and the enemy into the air and then slams them back to the ground: it recharges magic rather quicky. Of course I also rolled and countered a lot. Easy Platinum trophy.

but at least you could explain why you think combat in C:LOS is so much better then combat in GOW3

Eveyrones opinion here will vary naturally, but to me Gow3 felt like an automatic button masher. It never really felt like what I was doing mattered all that much, it almost seemed like I could just bash buttons and the game would progress. Castlevania felt very different to me, it felt like it was genuine combat that I was in control of, where my decisions mattered and made a difference as to whether I would live or die. Both games though fall far short of Bayonetta as far as feel of combat brilliance.

Bayonetta on xbox360 is the best third person fighting game I have ever played and I don't know how it could ever be bettered.

Bayonetta on xbox360 is the best third person fighting game I have ever played and I don't know how it could ever be bettered.

For me, it just falls a tad short of Ninja Gaiden Black.
I love both games and will definitely pick up a sequel to Bayonetta on day one. I am waiting to see how Tecmo handles the new Ninja Gaiden before I jump in, although I have a feeling that they will "casual-ize" the combat mechanics.

Back