Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - looks astounding!!!

It does look great, and the motion blur masks the lowish framerates well, but I'm not sure I got the combat. Need to play again.

What do I do in the horsey sequence? It seems I'm constantly punched off the side of my ride, save myself with the timed button press, rinse, repeat. Can I prevent this from happening?

What do I do in the horsey sequence? It seems I'm constantly punched off the side of my ride, save myself with the timed button press, rinse, repeat. Can I prevent this from happening?

I usually focus on hitting the bigger werewolf. After 3 strikes you'll be able to jump form your horse onto it, killing both the smaller and bigger werewolf.

got my copy today. game looks really good, but the framerate sucks. motion blur and intentionally shaky camera does help mask the crappy framerate though

Sorry forgot to mention... I have the PS3 version. The framerate feels exactly the same as the demo.. which I reckon is around 25-30fps.

I've beaten GOW3 and Dante's inferno, and the combat in castlevania feels pretty good so far. The environments are very detailed but there are lots of invisible walls. Once again.. really nice looking game.

Sorry forgot to mention... I have the PS3 version. The framerate feels exactly the same as the demo.. which I reckon is around 25-30fps.

I've beaten GOW3 and Dante's inferno, and the combat in castlevania feels pretty good so far. The environments are very detailed but there are lots of invisible walls. Once again.. really nice looking game.

Cool, thanks for the impressions!
If it is nearly as good as GOW3 and Dante's Inferno and then last for 20hours :love:

Just tried the demo on 360. Not sure about this one. I prefer some of the character designs to God of War 3, and I like that the world doesn't feel as empty in some ways by having trees and grass. God of War 3 had much better image quality and much smoother frame rate. The wet effect sometimes looks very cool and sometimes looks too plastic and artificial. The demo was way too short and primitive to get much of a sense of how deep the combat gets. The horse section was kind of lame. Didn't seem like there was much you could do. I didn't like the story book panels with narration, but I didn't like the variety in the cutscenes, even in such a short demo. Hopefully they are short and sweet throughout.

Hm, just read in the DF article and in the article of my fav mag (consol.at) that there is quite some frustration with the camera. Walking around to find items ot proceed in the next area with a bad camera - does not sound that good. Another thing: puzzles seem to be very difficult, using abilities you earlie gained, hardly used and then have to use now to solve the puzzle does not sound to good.
Anyway, I am buying this game, hoping that it is better than its reputation.

Hm, just read in the DF article and in the article of my fav mag (consol.at) that there is quite some frustration with the camera. Walking around to find items ot proceed in the next area with a bad camera - does not sound that good. Another thing: puzzles seem to be very difficult, using abilities you earlie gained, hardly used and then have to use now to solve the puzzle does not sound to good.
Anyway, I am buying this game, hoping that it is better than its reputation.

I have like a 10 min rule on puzzles.
When i fail to complete a puzzle within 10 min i go to gamefaqs not getting frustrated because of a game.:LOL:

Reputation is still pretty good despite those flaws. Should be a pretty safe buy if you like Dante's Inferno/GoW.

Almost at the end of chapter 2 right now. This game is incredibly beautiful, the art direction is fabulous. It's been great so far. Keeping in mind that correct path is sometimes too well hidden, checking out any small hints that might lead me in the right direction, I haven't got stuck yet. Puzzles aren't a problem because you can always buy the solution for some XP. The camera does get in the way often though.

Is the fighting difficult or tricky ?

How's the story so far ? Interesting or cliche ?

It's not that difficult. And there is always the option to change the difficulty setting. I think the game is even designed around doing that. I replayed the first level to complete a challenge. After that I still didn't have 100% for that level. The completion on the 2 higher difficulty settings were still missing. And replaying a level will have it play out exactly as the first time, cutscenes and all. So you could replay the whole game without ever needing a new savegame, keeping everything you had before.

The story is too early to tell, the basis is there for something interesting.

Ok more impressions. You can farm for experience points. If you successfully complete a trial you get 100xp. A much easier way to farm xp is to kill a monster you need to ride on to pass an environmental obstacle. The cave trolls are easiest for this since their attacks are pretty easy to counter. Once you get shadow magic they go down very fast, and a new one spawns to take its place. Each one is worth 100xp.

I'm almost at the end of chapter 2, and I have every advanced attack except for one and half of the relic attacks. I mentioned earlier combat feels pretty good, but after playing around with all the attacks that are available to me, I take that back. Combat in GOW3 and Dante's Inferno felt much better. The combat in C:LOS is closest to Dante's Inferno because you only have one main weapon that you need to purchase upgrades. The problem with C:LOS combat is that weapon upgrades (advanced attacks) for the most part are useless imo. Combat isn't bad, its just not great.

If I had to start all over again, I wouldnt purchase any advanced attacks except for the one where you're in the air you hold down square; the attack where you press square, triangle, triangle, and the jump kick attack. I'd save all my xp for the relic attacks that cost 6k each.

Back