RIP David Eddings

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jun/04/david-eddings-dies

I remember picking up his first Belgariad book, "Pawn of Prophecy", back in the spring of 1982. Still in high school, with lots of disposable free time, I finished the book that night while working in my dad's not-so-busy pizza kitchen. Of course the series, and Eddings' writing, were both pretty terrible and certainly didn't hold up over time, but I still enjoyed them as a kid.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/jun/04/david-eddings-dies

I remember picking up his first Belgariad book, "Pawn of Prophecy", back in the spring of 1982. Still in high school, with lots of disposable free time, I finished the book that night while working in my dad's not-so-busy pizza kitchen. Of course the series, and Eddings' writing, were both pretty terrible and certainly didn't hold up over time, but I still enjoyed them as a kid.

You obviously read these books at pretty much the same age as me then. I enjoyed the Belgariad and, to an extent the Mallorean (i.e. a thinly-disguised re-write of the Belgariad).

I also read the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies which were fundamentally even more thinly-disguised re-writes of the Belgariad!

If found these books reasonably enjoyable when younger though, so I won't criticise too much.

An ignominious way for "Glasshopper" to go.

That is crazy... hard to believe someone would hold off on suicide until 72 before finally going through with it. I'll have to set aside some time for some kung fu watching.

Very much enjoyed Belgarath and Polgara books, far more than the actual Belgariad story. Read them all including Elenium and Tamuli and his latest re-writes of exactly the same characters-with-different-names and plots. He wasn't very creative but he wrote some fun stories, especially reading them as a teenager.

That is crazy... hard to believe someone would hold off on suicide until 72 before finally going through with it. I'll have to set aside some time for some kung fu watching.

The highest rate of suicide in any demographic is (at least according to one website of statistics) white males over 85. Granted he wasn't 85, but still...

RussSchultz said:
white males over 85.
I have no idea, but I'd guess a not insignificant amount of those would be due to health/quality of life issues, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Back