The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

We had a tweet from Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America saying he and Yoshida were laughing about this over dinner. Was that not a clear enough return of the ball?

Not really. A good return would be showing us where the bloody thing. They can say they have created a quantum powered robot donkey for all I care, still need to see it to believe it.

(Quantum robot donkey would be very cool, by the way)

So, according to you, we can force game developers to show their game before it's ready by merely claiming a "credible source" to say the game doesn't exist? Hell, we should do that all the time, then.

With its lack of a showing at e3 , I really think this game is canceled and they will put out a press release when everyone else is looking at something else.

I love how the fanbase jumped all over ign but being dicked around by Sony and the developer for 5 years is A OK! Because....

Because it'll come out when it comes out. Whether it lives up to the hype or not, we don't need journalists making up lies about games.

Because it'll come out when it comes out. Whether it lives up to the hype or not, we don't need journalists making up lies about games.
This is how I feel, Sony have clearly stated that it is still being developed; Sony canned Stig's 100mil money pit of a game, they would have canned TLG if it wasn't worthwhile.

Yoshida @ Eurogamer said:
"Lots of people tweeted me they were heartbroken by that news [prior to the show]. People are going through this roller coaster of emotions, and it's our fault for not releasing the game, yet. We owe a lot to those people, but we really don't want to release piecemeal information until we can say this is The Last Guardian - so we ask you to wait."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-11-its-time-for-your-latest-update-on-the-last-guardian

Fingers crossed for... tgs?

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be another Duke Nukem 4ever. :D
The parallel is somewhat similar, unfortunately...

DNF was shown a number of times, but as time went by, it disappeared and the devs stopped hyping it in favor of just getting it finished. Last Guardian was shown, years ago, but has been completely absent from any PR opportunity for a long time now.

Of course, DNF dev cycle was like 12 years long, considerably longer than this game, and the team saw a lot of turbulence with developers getting hired and then leaving in multiple waves without the game ever getting released.

LG not getting any hype at all has both good and bad consequences. No hype means less expectations, and lower pressure for it to be released. It also makes people assume the game is stuck in development hell, and suspicions that the game has been cancelled.

What I think we can carry away from sony's new assurances that development is progressing normally is that the game is now a PS4 product. I can't imagine an exclusive game with such high budget and production standards releasing for PS3 at this late date, not when the new flagship console is 6+ months old already.

What I think we can carry away from sony's new assurances that development is progressing normally is that the game is now a PS4 product. I can't imagine an exclusive game with such high budget and production standards releasing for PS3 at this late date, not when the new flagship console is 6+ months old already.
If they're wanting money back, it makes more sense to sell to the 80 million PS3's than the 10 million PS4s, unless they feel their market was early adopters. The alternative will be not to maximise profits from this game (probably not possible given development time. You'd need an MMO or epic title with ongoing revenue to profit from 8 years of development) but to create a system-shifting title that moves boxes and generates ongoing revenue from software and content and platform snowballing.

LG not getting any hype at all has both good and bad consequences. No hype means less expectations, and lower pressure for it to be released. It also makes people assume the game is stuck in development hell, and suspicions that the game has been cancelled.

I'd actually argue the opposite, in this instance. LG has (had) a ton of hype, and most people are (were) expecting very good things from it. If only because of the two games that preceded it.

If they're wanting money back, it makes more sense to sell to the 80 million PS3's than the 10 million PS4s, unless they feel their market was early adopters.

Well, Watch Dogs sold far more copies on the new systems too. Besides, at this point the game would probably be way more worthwhile as a prestige title for the PS4 anyway. TLG would be great for the Sony brand because it could be marketed as the! award winning diversion from all the overproduced AAA butchering. Like a big budget flag bearer for the Playstation indie scene.

Another factor in favour of a PS4 title is that by the time the game releases, there'll be 20+ million and PS3 will be (even) long(er) in the tooth. LG is presently not even a 2015 title.

Maybe they shouldn't have started promoting the game so early into development. Can't blame anyone for believing rumours that your vapor-ware game is dead. Not sure how anyone could be excited about the game at this point. It's an ancient concept reel, more of a marketing tool for the power of ps3 than an actual product. The development cycle looks like incompetence otherwise.

What has Team Ico been doing for the last 8 years?

Surely the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus remasters didn't take that long to make.
After Ico, Shadow of the Colossus took 4 years to make. It's been over 8 years since their last game.

Either the team was temporarily disbanded to work on other titles, putting the Last Guardian in development hell, or they've been trying to make a game for 8 years... putting the Last Guardian in development hell.

The weirdest part is: has anyone ever heard of a japanese developer going into development hell?

I think all the Sony Japan studios went through some sort of reboot when that western exec moved there to take charge.

But that's why I like to track TLG. Apart from the game concept itself, this type of west-meet-east project are inherently challenging. On top of this, add Ueda's "organic" creative process.

Still love to see the outcome either way.

isnt its normal for japan developer to stuck in development hell?

i though all Final Fantasy series got development hell in their lifetime. The changes also can be very drastic. FF X from full 3D to 2D+3D, then FF 13 from cell shaded to normal graphic. Gran Turismo that take so much time to develop (or its their normal development timeline?).
tokyo jungle that got direction change midway in develoment, i think there much more but my memory is hazy.

back about Trico, if its finally released to PS4, i hope they discard all things that make me remember it as PS3 games. I think it will be bad if in the end, they kept the low res texture for example. Or like Alan Wake that have great graphic but looks like using lip-sync tech thats 5 year older :/

How does this guy keep his job?

He's only produced 2 games in his whole career and those two games span a time period of what a decade or decade and a half?

Back