The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

A muzzle with no teeth or lips. It was more obviously a beak in the early trailer, when it was shiny rather than leathery.
Really, the creature is as classical a griffin as you could ask for. The only elements that don't quite fit are the horns, but...well, it's a Team ICO game.

Someone in this forum convinced me that it's a Griffin. Is that you idsn6 ?

I thought it was a big rat until that person pointed out the similarity (bird legs, feathery back, wings, feline body, small horns, long lion tail, darkened mouth that looked like a beak). I did note the difference in beak earlier, but decided that it's not a big deal if everything else match. :)

It's closest to a griffon, but it isn't. These are griffons. Every single one has a clear eagle beak. This wouldn't do for 'The Last Guardian' as it's a cold, aggressive look. Human's relate better to mammals. Thus they seemingly took a griffon and took some artistic license to add a mammalian muzzle, something like a puppy. Revisiting the original trailer, it does have a rather beakish look, but it lacks the hook of the raptor. And regardless of early designs, the end choice clearly lacks a beak of any description. If it started deliberately as a Griffon, they changed their minds and created something to fit the game.

Well, baby eagles don't have an eagle beak, though it is rather pronounced.
446415-7ecbfaef-63dd-4b8f-87aa-16743892ec91.jpg

They could also pick a different bird of prey for the bird part of the griffin. As a stretch, this is a baby kestrel:
Help%20Cropped%20Baby%20kestrels.jpg

When grown they have a fairly pronounced beak.

As an amalgam, I'm sure they can just cheat biology. As for being friendly... think of Puff the friendly dragon. That thing was fairly cute and approachable, but little kids (and us) still want to climb on the back of a fully-grown dragon and have it eat their gym teacher.

This is beginning to get pretty funny.

This fantastical creature is being used by Ueda to create what in his thought is some kind of reaction. The creature most resembles a gryphon although since both are imaginary you could call Ueda's creation anything you want. I'll stick with gryphon

I like Fumito's vision, I want to see how lively he can make that Man eater look in the end. The last animal centric game impressed me was B&W2 but it's lacking a good story, I have a feeling TLG will play out something along the line of The water horse flick.

Dengeki short interview: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/197/197077/

Translated here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17736983&postcount=220

What message were you trying to pass on to the fans with this trailer?

This trailer's all about the giant eagle Toriko, isn't it? I wanted to show how it moves naturally. I don't know whether you've noticed or not but every body part is animated. Toriko's whiskers move and then its ears move independently. I wanted fans to notice that.

Did you have any inspirations for this particular game?

I have many obviously. To name two, E.T. and My Neighbour Totoro. We've also looked at the charm and qualities of different animals, but not only - we've focused on the wild behaviour of animals as well.

I'm particularly intrigued by the sounds the creature does.

I like that too. It's the same creature but it produces a variety of sounds.

It's closest to a griffon, but it isn't. These are griffons. Every single one has a clear eagle beak. This wouldn't do for 'The Last Guardian' as it's a cold, aggressive look. Human's relate better to mammals. Thus they seemingly took a griffon and took some artistic license to add a mammalian muzzle, something like a puppy. Revisiting the original trailer, it does have a rather beakish look, but it lacks the hook of the raptor. And regardless of early designs, the end choice clearly lacks a beak of any description. If it started deliberately as a Griffon, they changed their minds and created something to fit the game.

Those are one interpretation of a griffin. Griffins have been visualized in many different ways. Griffins have been shown with teeth, tusks, horns, horse ears and serpent tails. Trico probably took alot of liberties with their depiction but given the mythical creature they pick thats understandable given thats its been interpreted in many forms and fashion throughout history.

Fumito Ueda has already said that the animal doesnt exist from any fiction in the past. Its something he made up combining different ficitional/non-fictional creatures.

Watch the TGS 09 "making off" video.

Fumito Ueda has already said that the animal doesnt exist from any fiction in the past. Its something he made up combining different ficitional/non-fictional creatures.

Watch the TGS 09 "making off" video.

I've watched it. He doesn't say that. You've put specific keywords into his mouth.

If it's the same "Making of" video. Ueda simply mentioned that the creature is imaginary. The narration added that it's not a dog, cat or bird.

Back