The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

Aye, I was thinking of Ico when thinking about this. Except instead of boy helping girl. It'd be creature helping boy.

And when he went missing in a structure. Imagine flying around it for example looking for him. Then you spot him through a window being chased down the hall by something. You fly along the side of the structure looking for a way to help the boy and up ahead you see a weak point in the wall...

Or perhaps you see that the whole structure is destroyed after a certain point and you have to fly there in time for the boy to jump on your back...

Even without superb AI, you can script events in such a way as to fool the user into thinking the game has clever UI. A big part of game design is tricking the user...

The illusion of sentience is oft times better than actual sentience. :D

Regards,
SB

I think that's back-to-front and I agree with the current design. The boy is 'helpless', no more able than a boy to solve his problems. He needs to rely on someone else for support. This shifts the power away from the player, very unconventionally. It's no longer about being the strong hero defeating everyone to save the day, like 99.99% of (non sports) games out there. It's grounded in realism, despite being a fantastic world. The end result is a very different feeling. The choices and problem solving are much more realistic (bizarrely, seeing as there's a giant rat-budgie involved ;)) and the emotions truer to life. That really appeals to me.

I loved that normality in ICO, that it felt very much how it really would to be that boy in that castle. The emotions were very real. I could relate to someone who hadn't any powers or extraordinary abilities, beyond never tiring.

I wish the game had more texture diversity, I dont care for the environment textures in this trailer. That is my sole complaint with the visual quality.
I can only imagine how much more stunning this game would look if it wasnt held back by memory limitations.

I wish the game had more texture diversity, I dont care for the environment textures in this trailer. That is my sole complaint with the visual quality.
I can only imagine how much more stunning this game would look if it wasnt held back by memory limitations.

Well, maybe the setting (ruins) doesn't lend itself to texture diversity... :smile:

There will be diversity in Areas. Even SOTC had many different areas like a desert, a lake, a volcanic plain, etc, in one seamless world .

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only imagine how much more stunning this game would look if it wasnt held back by memory limitations .

Jesus not again this story :???: why in every ps3 game finish to blame of memory limitations? A close system is ever limited compared to pc if you don't like, play to an high pc setting. I never seen ps3 game limited to the memory. I mean nothing of so compromise how would be on 360 or any other console in the market but it's perfectly normal .

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. It's not as if games are developed without any constraint in mind and then suddenly it's noticed that they are closing in on a memory limit and thus have to suddenly cut back textures or something. The limits and bounderies are well known since a while now and games are designed and planed around them.

Of course anything could look better if you suddenly had more resources... but what wouldn't?

To be really honest - if you think back to games we played and marveled back last generation. Does anyone really remember how the game looked in all its glory or do you rather remember the gameplay and mechanics and story? It's rarely the graphics that get remembered, because there's always something better bound to come.

When I play KZ2 nowdays, I don't even care anymore how good it looks - it's all about the gameplay that wants me to go back for more. Graphics are interesting in the first few weeks of a game and before it gets released - with time, no one really cares anymore.

I agree. It's not as if games are developed without any constraint in mind and then suddenly it's noticed that they are closing in on a memory limit and thus have to suddenly cut back textures or something. The limits and bounderies are well known since a while now and games are designed and planed around them.

Of course anything could look better if you suddenly had more resources... but what wouldn't?

To be really honest - if you think back to games we played and marveled back last generation. Does anyone really remember how the game looked in all its glory or do you rather remember the gameplay and mechanics and story? It's rarely the graphics that get remembered, because there's always something better bound to come.

When I play KZ2 nowdays, I don't even care anymore how good it looks - it's all about the gameplay that wants me to go back for more. Graphics are interesting in the first few weeks of a game and before it gets released - with time, no one really cares anymore.

Depends on the game. Things like Morrowind, Oblivion, Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, System Shock 2, System Shock (original), Ultima Underground I & 2, Thief 1-3, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, MDK, Quake 2, Unreal...ok just about all games...

I certainly remember the graphics and how good each looked when it came out. Some more-so than the gameplay, like Oblivion for example which was sorely lacking in the gameplay department.

I suppose something like this is an entirely personal perspective on what you remember. :)

Regards,
SB

Yeah, but it's about affordability and optimization. Also, it's not guaranteed to have better visuals if you have more memory. The developers have to do extra work to make them look best. It's not just texture work right ?

I was made aware of the trailer only yesterday an am impressed. As Ueda said, he would combine the mechanics of his previous two games and have some loose story relation to them. I'm imagining that the ferd (feline bird) can be mounted and grabbed like the Colossi and is lead around by the main character somewhat like Yorda. That is all that I can gather from the trailer. Also, really good music (theme from a Cohen Brothers film).

It's a Griffin ! I'm sure of it. I think Ueda changed its proportion so that we won't mistaken it to be a cat or rat or bird. It sure looked like a giant rodent in the first trailer.

I second it being a griffin (it looks like one, other than the lack of wings, which I bet will eventually sprout), however calling it different variations of cat and bird is fun. I'm going to call my griffin (gryphon), Snarf.:yes:

I second it being a griffin (it looks like one, other than the lack of wings, which I bet will eventually sprout), however calling it different variations of cat and bird is fun. I'm going to call my griffin (gryphon), Snarf.:yes:

It already has wings, albeit really small ones. If you look closely in the trailer you can see them. I think it's a baby griffin.

What else could it be but a baby griffin. It has all the looks of a griffin, so it is a griffin. Not a ratbird, catbird or other, but a GRIFFIN!! :smile:

Griffin's have always had eagle heads AFAIK. Body of a lion, head and wings of an eagle, is certainly the classical European myth. This critter is some other hybrid in the same vein, but not any conventional mythological creature of my knowing.

Back