The Last Guardian (Trico, Ico 3, Shadow of the Colossus sequel, etc.) [PS4]

Ether_Snake

Newcomer
Direct-feed HD trailer here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-last/50352

The creature looks incredible. And the backgrounds look like CG, the way the ambient occlusion is baked (not sure how, looks like texture-baked) is so perfect.

28h045e.jpg

2q0soas.jpg

Look at that background behind the creature, it's so perfect:
xoo46f.jpg

v7ftj7.jpg

205s9c2.jpg

I think it kills any notion that the PlaystationLifestyle leak was unintentional, since it gave us a very clear idea of 'progress attained' without, you know, telling us of all the progress they've made.

Wonderful animation. That thing reminds me of my pet cat. It died in my arms while I was rushing it to the hospital. T_T

Why is this thread in the open ? Shouldn't it be in the Console Games section ?

Please do something with the kid, his looks are completely ruining the results...

So, we are the last gaurdian and we have to keep the creature Alve ! :D

... or the baby Griffin is the last guardian of the temple. It has arrows sticking out from its back man. The child happened to pass by (or got lost).

I still believe it will have a sad ending.

Please do something with the kid, his looks are completely ruining the results...

I really disagree , it's 100% artistical choice.And a very good one IMO.
It gives the little emotional spin that the boy doesn't belong to the worls he's in.
It was like that for ICO and SOTC.

Seconded. I like the boy. I think he fits in well with the surroundings. Wouldn't really want him more detailed to be honest.

Simply stunning and beautiful! I just hope the game doesn't limit your interaction with the creature too much or better yet, to have full control of the critter. As for the boy I like the style and all but I wouldn't mind to have a more detailed material on his clothes, need to see more close ups though.

The boy reminds me of the old Disney movie, Snowhite and the seven dwarfs, rotoscoping was what they called that technique, right?

IIRC rotoscoping is a technique used for animation where they trace over filmed footage of a character, so if that's what you're talking about, then yes. That doesn't define the style of the artwork though, and (again) IIRC they didn't use any kind of motion capture/rotoscoping for Ico/SotC so I don't know if they'd adopt it for this game.

The boy is toon shaded, looks like "Spirited Away", my favourite movie ever !
But he looks a little out of place in that wonderfully lit 3D world. I guess, whatever they decide will be the best.

The creature's design seems to have changed, it looked cuter in the older video :) !

Just read over on VG247 that The Last Guardian is the secret game that BBC Journalist Darren Waters was going about in his blog back in Feb last year.

BBC tech journalist Darren Waters admitted to VG247 this morning that his secret “BBC game” is The Last Guardian, previously known as Project TRICO, saying it was now “impossible” for the title to satisfy expectations.

“I’ve carried this secret for so long that it is an incredible relief to finally be able to talk about it openly,” he said.“Obviously, the length of time that has passed between my first glimpse of the game and its unveiling at E3 means that it is impossible for the Last Guardian to live up to the hype built around this so-called ’secret BBC game’.

“As a passionate gamer I’m really excited to see what the final playable game will be like. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are such great titles, and the studio behind them so talented, that while there is a lot to live up to there is plenty of reason for optimism.”

LINK

Ouch, the boy is so out of place. It looks like he was photochopped into the screenshots even though I know he wasn't.

All that effort for a photorealistic looking creature and then the boy photochopped onto it. Hopefully the current texturing on the boy is just a placeholder.

Looks great otherwise.

Regards,
SB

Looks pretty good, i'll keep an eye out for this game even though Ico and SotC never quite appeal to me that much. Hoping for a more story driven experience this time around.

Back