Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is still that people who are used to playing on controls won't suddenly find this amazing. Unless something remarkable happens, it'll be a gimmick.

Of course there will always be people who find it to be a gimmick, but the buyers of the SplitFish and Fraggenstein PS3 controllers obviously prefer to control the FPS-panning with the wrist instead of the tumb and that audience may very well find the PS Move control to be a worthwhile alternative. I will sure give it a try.

@RolfN I will give the Wii FPS control scheme a go if I get the opportunity.

Which video shows the bad pointing ? The Socom demo plays fine, but they didn't tell us the advantage of using PS Move.

This: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-10-sony/62923

It could be that the guy playing is just plain bad, but you can cleary see he is having trouble at aiming to the enemies even with that very noticeable aim assist. He never gets straight to the target, always moves the crosshair around until it snaps.

The on stage demo on Move Party was also embarrassing given that looked more of a tech demo to show the precision of the controller. The woman struggled to point at the play button to start the demo, and couldn't draw the shapes inside the lines, the guy even goes on to say something like: "You have to draw slower because you are not drawing inside the lines".

But it could be bad people playing, or even bad wip demos, but they did left an awful impression on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..... That is some amazing jumping to conclusions based on the information that one bundle will cost less than $100.

What jumping to conclusions?

The Bundle is a PS3 Eye + Motion controller + game.

They demo'd games that require Eye + 2x Motion controllers and games that use Eye + Motion controller + Motion subcontroller.

So the minimum you'd need to be able to play any variety of games will be 1x PS3 Eye, 2x Motion Controllers, and 1x Motion subcontroller. In otherwords unless you want to limit which games you can buy, you'll need all of those.

Now multiply that by however many people want to play games. And if they are targetting the casual market that quite likely means party games which can have up to 4 people.

Apparently you can use a standard PS3 controller for a subcontroller. However, how comfortable will it be to game for 30+ minutes using the standard PS3 controller one handed?

I'm not sure where I'm jumping to conclusions? Unless you believe they'll give away extra motion controllers and sub controllers for free?

Regards,
SB

They demo'd games that require Eye + 2x Motion controllers and games that use Eye + Motion controller + Motion subcontroller.

So the minimum you'd need to be able to play any variety of games will be 1x PS3 Eye, 2x Motion Controllers, and 1x Motion subcontroller. In otherwords unless you want to limit which games you can buy, you'll need all of those.

Now multiply that by however many people want to play games. And if they are targetting the casual market that quite likely means party games which can have up to 4 people.

Apparently you can use a standard PS3 controller for a subcontroller. However, how comfortable will it be to game for 30+ minutes using the standard PS3 controller one handed?

I'm not sure where I'm jumping to conclusions? Unless you believe they'll give away extra motion controllers and sub controllers for free?

Regards,
SB
The obvious solution is to make local multiplayer games not require more than the base controller per person, just as it is already done on the Wii. Games developers aren't that stupid.

The obvious solution is to make local multiplayer games not require more than the base controller per person, just as it is already done on the Wii. Games developers aren't that stupid.

None of the Wii party games use Nunchuck + Wii Remote? In that case, yeah for party games it may not be an issue.

So you'd only need the 4 peripherals for single player and co-op splitscreen.

Regards,
SB

None of the Wii party games use Nunchuck + Wii Remote? In that case, yeah for party games it may not be an issue.

So you'd only need the 4 peripherals for single player and co-op splitscreen.

Regards,
SB

There may be some exceptions but from my experince with Wii it does seem to be the case, Multiplayer party type games tend only to use the wand. Most people i know with a Wii only own one nunchuck and multiple wands. Nintendo also sell the nunchuck seperately instead of including one with every wand. Sony should have the base pack be PSEye + Move + subcontroller, this would bring it inline with the base Wii offering which is proven to work and avoid confusion.

Sony really should do better with regards to showing what move is capable of. I found the ping pong game to be very impressive with the paddle seeming to be in 3d space with 1:1 tracking, but they failed to point this out and could be just pre canned moves and more based on simple gestures with the paddles automatically following the path of the ball, i have no idea because they didnt expand upon it. Without pointing it out it seems just like any other Wii game when in fact, if it is using actual xyz positioning of the wand in relation to the camera for the paddles position within the game, it is beyond anything else and very impressive. The whole premise of the 3D positioning is going to be a hard sell because to the average consumer both a Wii version and a Move version will look exactly the same on the surface, its not until its actually being played that one having automatic positioning and one being fully controlled by the user will have significant impact.

<snip> some rewritten stuff <snip>

Such as this.
"So to be able to do single player in all games you'll need to buy PS3 Eye + 2x Move + Move subcontroller. Which will be close to 150+ USD I'm guessing. PS3 Eye + Move bundle = 100. Addional Move + Move subcontroller = 50-100 USD.

And then you'd have to do that cost all over again for each additonal player. 2 player = Eye + 4x move + 2x subcontroller. 4 player = Eye + 8x move + 4x subcontroller."

That includes some amazing assumption about what a common gaming setup would look like and what it would cost.

The sub-controller seems pretty niche (not likely you need four of them!) and the way it´s presented by the SOCOM guy is using it (having it resting on his leg) seems like I will be fine using my DS3 for those titles.

I am not even sure it is possible to have 8 Move Wands, because of a limit in the PS3 bluetooth setup you cannot have more than 7 DS3s if I remember correctly, so yeah 8 Move wands doesn´t seem to be a likely gaming setup. If many people are involved the games will likely allow them to play with one controler.

And your assumptions of the price are based on that less than $100 means equal to $100.

So yeah, I think there were some amazing jumping to conclusions.

One demo had a guy using 2 controllers and you extrapolate "2 player = Eye + 4x move + 2x subcontroller. 4 player = Eye + 8x move + 4x subcontroller." for the cost of the system? That's not a leap?

Its pretty much the same as the Wii though isnt it?

If a wii game uses 2 wands per person it will be 4 for 2-player and 8 for 4-player.
If a Move game uses 2 wands per person it will be 4 for 2-player and 8 for 4-player.

Regards,
SB

The subcontroller is not for casual gaming.

And the PSmove is not for core gaming. The correct configuration for core gaming is a stick on each PS move and a different configuration of button.

For the moment it has the same problem than the wiimote. You need to adapt the gameplay to the Psmote because you cannot move the camera with a stick on a FPS or TPS. The problem is less important for TPS game.

I can't imagine playing Killzone 2 or resistance or Halo on the current Playstation move.

Not familiar with PR?

So how much will you give me if the bundle turns out to cost $89 or less?

I wouldn´t even rule out $79. Here in Europe they basically gave away the PSEye with EyePet. I myself would be surprised if the bundle cost twice the price of a normal game.

I see the fact that the ps move controler while exceeding the wiimote in accuracy is not matching it in functionalities a bit bothering.
The wiimote can do a lot of things on his own (basically a blend of what the ps move and the sixaxis do). One could say that the remark is invalid as you could only rely on the sixaxis but go and try to pimp the sixaxis as casual friendly and succeed at it I would be impressed.
Other than that the set up and the remark this valid (possibly even more) for Natal the set up is a bit cumbersome imho is not always easy to fit a extra device next to the tv especially when it's a camera and it needs to have a proper vision of the room.
Overall nintendo in this regard still have some neat advantages.

And the PSmove is not for core gaming. The correct configuration for core gaming is a stick on each PS move and a different configuration of button.

For the moment it has the same problem than the wiimote. You need to adapt the gameplay to the Psmote because you cannot move the camera with a stick on a FPS or TPS. The problem is less important for TPS game.

I can't imagine playing Killzone 2 or resistance or Halo on the current Playstation move.

Actually, just found out from Kotaku that the subcontroller actually has SixAxis style motion sensing. This means that big camera movements can be done with the subcontroller in a fps with the Move performing cursor movements. Sounds pretty good.

According to Sony PR it doesn't, and yesterday Kotaku mentioned a Sony representative told them it doesn't support motion detection. Sony should clarify this.

So how much will you give me if the bundle turns out to cost $89 or less?
PR never misses an opportunity to make a product look better.

I am interested in how Sony would set up the <100 (99.99?) bundle.

Some demo'ed games need two Move controller,(ike Boxing),but the standard set could be one Move +one subcontroller only.

Yes,the DS3/Sixaxis has all funtionallity from subcontroller,but DS3 is not meant to be taken by one hand.

I also know it is better to seed a low expectation and exceed it than the opposite, that is also PR you know.

Go figure.

Sony will price this carefully to match the price threshold for the volumes they want to sell.

If they can get a good uptake they will make lots of money on the extra controllers.

According to Sony PR it doesn't, and yesterday Kotaku mentioned a Sony representative told them it doesn't support motion detection. Sony should clarify this.

Here is the statement from Kotaku
HOW DOES IT WORK?

It uses a three-axis gyroscope, a three-axis accelerometer, coloured sphere and a terrestrial magnetic field sensor to pin-point the location of the Move, which allows it to easily track any kind of movement the player makes, whether it be slow or fast, small or sweeping.

The Subcontroller also features a full-fledged motion sensor, just like the Move wand itself, unlike the Wii Remote Nunchuk's gyroscope which is fairly primitive in comparison.

Interestingly, every game we played at GDC required the user to calibrate the Move before playing. It wasn't a big deal, but switching between games quickly it was a bit of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back