Old Discussion Thread for all 3 motion controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I thought of using a self-chosen equipment to weigh the players' hands down. It may give the players more natural feel -- especially with their own equipments.

The 3DV system can certainly be complemented by an additional controller to sense angle, grip and button pressure. It needs to be of the right shape though (That's the problem I had with SIXAXIS + PSEye).

We'll also need to see how precise the motion sensing system is. So far, both Nintendo and Sony claimed 1-to-1 mapping. MS will need to claim it one way or another.

It depends on what you want to do.

To demonstrate the difference clearly, Microsoft will need to come up with good applications for a full body 3D motion detection.
What game is that?

It's my understanding from the tech video a year or so ago that the wands could actually be anything. Obviously Sony would want you to buy their own hence when it's released you will have to buy them but there is nothing special about them as far as I know.

Other than that they are bluetooth devices filled with accelerometers and gyroscopes?

OK gametrialer has the thing up, the thing looks damned accurate but I would like to learn more about it works no supposition. The thing doesn't seem anymore advance than Ms solution, both product could almost be launched head to head. Actually MS solution looked more refined as they demoed it for really behind closed doors on existing games and with various demo (think ricochet I don't care for molnieux overmade stuffs... he got on my nerves always speaking too big...).
Something is clear from those both early presentations Ms looks more on the way to real casual (sport party games) than Sony.

I don't see any ad-on device making a big slash unless it has some huge killer app to drive its sales. Both Sony and MS are frantically trying to capture the Wii craze, but I think it's too late this gen. They should have refined their technologies and launched them in the box for next gen.

The Wii's waggle only works because it is in every Wii box with a game that drives sales. Since every Wii owner has one the devs can rely on it, unlike an ad-on with a low attach rate.

Maybe I didn't watch the same videos as you guys, but from what I saw Natal can ultimately do whatever PS3MC can do, except that holding stuff is optional. So if you want to hold a sword or a three pound salmon while attacking someone then you can, or you can hold nothing. PS3MC requires that you hold their controller for it to figure out positional data. Is this accurate? Further, it seems like Natal tracks multiple limbs, so to do the same on PS3MC, wouldn't you need to hold two controllers, and have two attached to your legs?

I don't see any ad-on device making a big slash unless it has some huge killer app to drive its sales. Both Sony and MS are frantically trying to capture the Wii craze, but I think it's too late this gen. They should have refined their technologies and launched them in the box for next gen.

The Wii's waggle only works because it is in every Wii box with a game that drives sales. Since every Wii owner has one the devs can rely on it, unlike an ad-on with a low attach rate.

I don't really think Natal will be truly ready, refined and cost efficient until next gen

Other than that they are bluetooth devices filled with accelerometers and gyroscopes?
Must of missed the part them mentioned that.

Obviously there is bluetooth in it as it has buttons and the PS3 uses bluetooth for controllers.

I was trying to find the original video from the company Sony aquired but I cannot remember what they are called, anyway I found a video from last years GDC showing an earlier version of the software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80VWGjWYWd4

agreed. the only way either will really be able to drive sales of these things is by making sure a big chunk of their first party titles are compatible, but there's no way this is making it into any of the announced titles by either company.

Natal's scope is bigger than PS3/Wii solution, of course it's gonna need more hp.

The problem with Natal is that simple tasks are very complex to do, sometimes even impossible.
You get awesome depth recognition, yet you cannot even point on screen.

IIRC, Zcam depth resolution was around 1.5cm which is orders of magnitude higher than what you would need to get an accurate direction of a simplistic stick like object from a few meters away.
Needless to say you have to not be pointing in the direction of the camera. :)

Still body motion recognition can have great potential, the question is whether MS can develop totally innovative software that can completely reinvent how we interact with what is essentially a stationary rectangular screen in time before virtual reality takes off, removing the stationary screen problem.

Maybe I didn't watch the same videos as you guys, but from what I saw Natal can ultimately do whatever PS3MC can do, except that holding stuff is optional. So if you want to hold a sword or a three pound salmon while attacking someone then you can, or you can hold nothing. PS3MC requires that you hold their controller for it to figure out positional data. Is this accurate? Further, it seems like Natal tracks multiple limbs, so to do the same on PS3MC, wouldn't you need to hold two controllers, and have two attached to your legs?

Assuming you believe the device can reliably and accurately make out where you, your arms and your hands are and where they are going and at what rate. I have my doubts, but if you just want to register kicks or hand waves then it will do fine.

Maybe I didn't watch the same videos as you guys, but from what I saw Natal can ultimately do whatever PS3MC can do, except that holding stuff is optional.

Without another accessory, Natal cannot ultimately do whatever PS3MC can do.

I think Natal and and the PS3 motion controller will be used for very different kinds of games. I think in more traditional games, Natal will be used for voice recognition and facial recognition rather than having Natal replace the standard controller. The Wiimote and PS3 motion controller are obviously meant as a replacement for the standard controller. There are definitely limitations to how Natal can be used, but the potential for accurate representation of full body movement could lead to some interesting. In the end, that's what this is going to come down to. Either one could be the "best" technical solution, but still end up with the shittiest software.

One thing to note about the lag in the Natal demo is whether the guy doing the paint demo has lag on the small screen he's viewing, or whether its the product of switching the signal over to the large screen.

Edit: It would be nice if Natal were bundled with some type of controller that could be used as a pointer as well as provide some buttons, because I'd like to see it usable for a game like an fps, but I don't think Natal looks like it was ever intended to be used in that capacity.

???
Do we even see d pad or something on Sony prototype that would allow you to move in game? If needed that would be that tough for MS to split the 360 controler in two?
As for selection a finger could do there no need for ubber precision just making big enough movements, it's not like they state the tech can track my finger while I try to play a random malmsteen licks.

Nobody has mentioned the lack of integration as a problem with Sony's design. Think of the different scenarios that have to be accounted for by a multi-part system like that. Create one package which includes a PSEYE, and one or more wand controllers? Sell the wand controllers and PSEYE seperately? Both? Allow games to require 1 or 2 wand controllers to operate? I can see this creating customer confusion as to what hardware they need to actually make this work and that could blunt it's appeal irrespective of how well the system works or how good the games are that take advantage of it.

One thing to note about the lag in the Natal demo is whether the guy doing the paint demo has lag on the small screen he's viewing, or whether its the product of switching the signal over to the large screen.

in anycase that's a true demonstration of a lack of sophisticatedness.

Everyone in the community knows that lag time matters.
You'd think they would try to use virtually no-lag signals and displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back