Sony E3 2009 Keynote Thread

GT could flip over in 1 and 2 on the high speed ring so I'm not sure why people care much about flipping other then the whole it makes an awesome burnout style wreck.
Nope, spin round wildly, but never flipped not that it matters to anyone other than the points scorers who know it's the only thing they have to crow about.

The good thing about Sonys controller is that its pretty much guaranteed huge support from developers already creating Wii games. Before its even released it already has a huge library of games sitting there waiting to be ported, Mad World with a lick of HD paint anyone?

I don't understand why Sony's waggle thing require a PSEye, does it not have any of the motion detection stuff built in?

Yes and no. E3 is originally a trade event. Regardless of what MS said, it's still an opportune time to release figures and details, depending on their needs.

I do agree that MS's event is better structured whereas Sony's event is less so (e.g., Can't tell easily what's exclusive and what's not. Then again, MS lists the Metal Gear game after the non-exclusive segment which is technically incorrect). But Sony is showing realtime stuff today -- more chances to go wrong, and therefore more preparation and backup.

If the situation doesnt favor too much talk, figures and details can be mentioned, but not excessively.

You really think so? I think most people who watch these PKs are core gamers, and core gamers generally care mostly about games, preferably new ones. Sony had a lot of those, and even quite a few new ones too. I don't give a damn about McCartney or James Cameron on an E3 PK personally.

At least Tretton didn't make any weird jokes about dead actors this year.

You and I dont give a damn true. But the conference is large and its an opportunity to drive attention from all kinds of people depending on what they show at the various stages of the conference. As I have already said, I am also more interested on what Sony showed in terms of games. How they were presented was a different story. There are many people that consider theirselves core gamers but are easily affected by presentations. Check the internet forums unlike this one and you will see lots of less hardcore gamers making a deal out of everything and passing the word of mouth.

These conferences target the journalists as well. The better the impression to the journalist the more positive are the writings. There are people that dont watch news as much as as, but they do scan the information and based their judgment on what they read. I know many like this.

I already see the Smoke and Mirrors Milo presentation having its impact on casual gamers who will pass their impression to others. It wasnt 100% real. Was it? ;)

I was blown away by the accuracy of the ps3 mocon. It did seem jittery, but I'm sure that can be fixed with software.

Overall, they did a heck of a job so far. Let's see if they can put it all together.

Frankly, you're telling me style over substance. I just wasn't taken in my Microsoft's lies.

MS's lies? A bit strongly worded, eh? Shall we go through from now on and call all manufacturer's presentations lies?

Pffft, the exaggeration and hyperbole some people use to try to make their view seem to be the only view. Amazing. As if intelligent discourse couldn't serve to show your view far better and without provoking a hostile reaction in the people you are (supposedly) trying to persuade to come around to your point of view.

You did notice I hope that the whole Lionhead presentation was never, not once, presented as a game that is going to be released?

Oh wait, it's far easier to just call BS and point the finger and say so and so is a liar. :p

Here's a clue. Many tech demo's are created purely to show what a system is potentially capable of.

That's far different than than if someone released a touched up and enhanced video and presented it as actual gameplay that one would experience once the game was launched. BTW - not claiming anyone has done said thing.

Regards,
SB

Forgive me for sounding harsh, but that sounds ridiculous.

You can totally buy off on what is essentially a mock up presentation because it looks nice, but actual content doesn't get you excited?

I'm not following.

Did I say that actual content doesnt make me excited?

I don't understand why Sony's waggle thing require a PSEye, does it not have any of the motion detection stuff built in?

I think it needs it to track 2D movement. It tracks the colored balls on the controllers. Then it uses some ultrasonic crap to determine depth. The controller seems to have gyros inside as well to determine how the controller is being held. Seems like a pretty good solution, and people are saying the demos looked very motion accurate. I haven't watched yet.

I remember flipping well maybe it was just getting airborn and crazy spin. Though with a Nascar license I expect damage and some degree of flipping to be used there.

GT could flip over in 1 and 2 on the high speed ring so I'm not sure why people care much about flipping other then the whole it makes an awesome burnout style wreck.

you cannot flip in any GT game so far, only spinning. You could get some air, but never flip.

I find it an interesting "feature" for physics reasons, the fact that cars in sim racers doesn't flip creates flawed physics models.

Its also cool to look at ;)

MS's lies? A bit strongly worded, eh? Shall we go through from now on and call all manufacturer's presentations lies?

Pffft, the exaggeration and hyperbole some people use to try to make their view seem to be the only view. Amazing. As if intelligent discourse couldn't serve to show your view far better and without provoking a hostile reaction in the people you are (supposedly) trying to persuade to come around to your point of view.

Let's see. Reel of fake games? Check. Video of rigged demonstration? Check. MS lying about the current state of Natal? Priceless.

You did notice I hope that the whole Lionhead presentation was never, not once, presented as a game that is going to be released?

Except by Peter Moleneux who told reporters during a behind closed doors demo of Milo it is going to be a game. Eventually. At the same time he admitted Milo used a lot of "tricks" and had to be driven by a developer.

Im not sure if the PSEye is required, it may be that they were shown together because they compliment eachother so well. In combination the interface clearly surpasses the wii imo and should also be able to offer some of the same things as nadal.

Hello everyone,
discuss the advantage and disadvantage of the motion controllers somewhere else. This is the Sony conference thread. Strictly for Sony related stuff.

Good presentation by Sony. They couldn't resist pulling out the facts and figures, though. I have seen stated that these belong in a keynote, but I disagree. They can just as easily be disseminated in an accompanying press release and be added in to the reports the media write about the event after the fact.

Also the video montages with games flashing by so fast you barely have time to recognize them, never mind make any determinations of how interesting they look have got to go. Much favored MS's approach in giving fewer games more focus instead and would like to see this replicated (haven't seen Nintendo's keynote yet).

Is anyone else with me in thinking that most of the live gameplay demonstrations could be replaced with the developers coming out to talk over a pre-recorded gameplay segment? This would allow them to better prepare their remarks and create a more compelling demo. Allowing the game to then be live demo'd to the press later so they can vouch for the credibility of the demo would prevent any shenanigans. The exceptions to this would be games like Rock Band or games with motion controls where the player themself is actually doing something visually interesting and presents part of the appeal of the title.

More specifically to Sony, I thought Tretton was good. He appeared confident, but not arrogant as he has in the past.

I found PSP Go! to be really appealing, right up until the price announcement. An $80 premium over the PSP-3000? Really? Any additional draw to the platform that the new form factor was going to provide has been neutered by that price IMO. I'm also kind of torn about the types of titles they are pushing. While the power of the machine allows for game experiences that are unique to the platform in the mobile space, the broader market has not really shown an appetite for these experiences in the past (at least the ones who are willing to pay). It is questionable whether Sony will be able to expand their userbase by focusing on these types of experiences. But then again, the alternative may alienate their existing user base and still not allow them to attract the broader market, which would be disastrous.

MAG looked interesting. Seeing a live engagement really brought homw what the game is supposed to be in a way that hadn't been possible before. It gave of an MMO massive raid/pvp vibe that could definately work for it.

FFXIV? Exclusive to PS3?! 2010??!! Online.... Oh.

GT5 looked good (of course) what little we saw of it. I'm personally most hyped about the WRC license, though I think the NASCAR license will help more when they market this game in the US. Still no release date, though? Not even a 2010? Honestly, not too bad for me because a PS3 purchase isn't going to happen for me any time soon and F3 is coming in October. But WTH for people who have actually been awaiting this game since GT4? Feature creep? Mandate from Sony to shift focus to GT PSP at the expense of GT5's development? Saving the release date reveal for one of the other trade shows?

Edit: Thanks for moving my post to where it belongs. In return, I'll move my motion controller comments where they belong. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back