Sony E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Not really. They are just 2 ways to do similar things with the usual pros and cons.

No problem. Use different frequency. And the PS Eye can already support multiple player.

The Natal one has far more potential, that can't be denied despite faction.

This Sony wiimote wannabe and Natal are in two completely different leagues, pls don't confuse that.

You're absolutely right, one actually has a chance to succeed as an add-on device, and it's not Microsofts.

Not to mention we know this is proven technology that can actually work, not just a proof of concept with a bunch of riduclous on stage demo's that require little accuracy.

Nothing about Natal struck me as a viable technology for gaming at this point. It'll be expensive, it's going to show up extremely late, and I'm not convinced that the technology is going to be ready for developers to really put it to good use around launch.

That said, this isn't the thread for Natal discussion. We can continue this in the Natal thread.

Not really. They are just 2 ways to do similar things with the usual pros and cons.

No problem. Use different frequency. And the PS Eye can already support multiple player.

The difference is in the resolution (1-to-1 mapping), does not require line of sight (when used without PS Eye).

Wii MotionPlus supports 1-1 mapping as well, as I understand it.

The line of sight comment is perplexing -- do you know how Wii MotionPlus works?

Both peripherals rely on line of sight for full functionality. Nintendo uses IR, Sony uses optical, both seem to use accelerometers/gyroscopes.

They're both intended to do the same thing, which is steal audience from the Wii. Probably priming the tech for next-gen. Let's not get confused on that.

One copies the current capabilities of the Wii and the other completely takes it a few levels forward. Don't confuse that.

They looked identical in capabilities to me.

I was referring to the look of the device more than anything else. And how many players will it support? Tracking 4 people at once seems very problematic to me.

What does Sony's toy do that Wii MotionPlus doesn't? They're functionally identical from what I can see, except the PSEye solution looks more problematic for lighting conditions and multiplayer.

The nunchuck doesn't exactly know it's relative position to the wiimote as far as I know.
To know the tension, you must know the relative distances.

You're absolutely right, one actually has a chance to succeed as an add-on device, and it's not Microsofts.

Not to mention we know this is proven technology that can actually work, not just a proof of concept with a bunch of riduclous on stage demo's that require little accuracy.

Nothing about Natal struck me as a viable technology for gaming at this point. It'll be expensive, it's going to show up extremely late, and I'm not convinced that the technology is going to be ready for developers to really put it to good use around launch.

That said, this isn't the thread for Natal discussion. We can continue this in the Natal thread.
Not sure there's a point to continuing the discussion with someone who doesn't see potential in the device.

True. If it works. Naturally, this might not work, but here SOny's ripping off tech that Nintendo tried and tested, so the gamble is lower.

Not really, looking at the technology, they are actually the same thing implemented in a reverse way. I wouldn't say it's identical, but it is very similar and does offer more variety.

The nunchuck doesn't exactly know it's relative position to the wiimote as far as I know.
To know the tension, you must know the relative distances.
If you hold one stick directly behind the other, how will it know the relative difference?

Back