Nintendo E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Well, a Galaxy map pack (which I had a hard time finding differences from the original), and an outsourced metroid prime... er...

I guess you would call it big news, but judging from the audience's reaction, it was, er, lame?

Well if you consider galaxy 2 a map pack than you must consider 90% of current gen games as expensions to older versions?

Anyway I hope that this time nintendo makes sure there actually is some challange to the mario games because galaxy was too damn boring due to being too easy. Only the last planet gave me a bit of a challange and I'm not a die hard gamer at all.

Still, When will we finally see a donkey kong platform game? Or a new zelda? I mean, 2 mario games and mp are fine but I already seen those games the last 1 to 2 years on DS and Wii. Nintendo isnt exactly lacking IP, use them.

When these mouthpieces for corporate hype machines don't clap, that says something.

Ok, enough of the response of the audience thing. If you saw the show, you'd know how damn quiet it was compared with the other shows.

So what? Because some 25 to 30 year old who never managed to do better than becoming some half assed journalist does not clap for Nintendo because he doesnt like colorfull gfx but is going mad over the 20th game consisting out of a colorpallet of brawns and grays while shooting aliens for the 100th this gen, does that mean the colorfull game sucks?

Wii has turned out the way I feared.

The funny thing is that when I saw the presentation it reminded me of that banned commercial Nintendo made with the fat boring lady with glasses representing the PS3 and the dumb but sexy fun blond representing the Wii.

Only this time Nintendo looked like a fat boring lady with glasses which is also dumb.

Guys
before this gets out of hand, let's discuss the subjet at hand and start talking about the content of the presentation rather than the audience and your guesses abou it. Plus, if you please could add some bones, i.e. I enjoyed because ... / It was boring because ..., it would be greatly appreciated...

Reggie confirmed on G4 that SMG2 is for 2010. Thanks Nintendo. Wii Sports resort is all I have to look forward to till then? wow....

Have they not released a Zelda on the Wii?

Anyways, they're still selling consoles and peripherals.

And they said Nintendo sold more third party than any other console.

They can release their prime franchises every few years and keep it going.

People may scratch their heads at why kids keep buying the DS and the Wii but it seems to be a triumph of software. Some stupid software like Nintendogs.

Are they even trying?

Funny such a similar strategy can rub gamers in such polarizing ways (DS and Wii software approach in essence is rather similar)

The vitality sensor? For God's sakes. 1 year's wait for a darn pulse sensor on what gamers consider the peak event of gaming announcements.

Reggie confirmed on G4 that SMG2 is for 2010. Thanks Nintendo. Wii Sports resort is all I have to look forward to till then? wow....

Is it there fault you don't like all the other games coming out? :)

Are they even trying?

Funny such a similar strategy can rub gamers in such polarizing ways (DS and Wii software approach in essence is rather similar)

The vitality sensor? For God's sakes. 1 year's wait for a darn pulse sensor on what gamers consider the peak event of gaming announcements.

They also showed two new Mario games and a new Metroid as well as lots of other third party games. Like everyone else you're free to ignore the parts of the show that don't interest you so I fail to see how showing the vitality sensor can be a bad thing.. Are you telling me Microsoft and Sony didn't show anything less then exciting in there conferences? ;)

Is the 4-player Mario online or is it 4 local players?

Kind of looked like LBP. Finally some multiplayer platforming from Nintendo but it doesn't look terribly original. It's a competitive situation where you have to get to some collectibles first.

Also, some of the Nintendo presenters are stiff, with a deliberate cadence in their speech.

When these mouthpieces for corporate hype machines don't clap, that says something.
It says, "Where are the bald space marines? I don't understand this business babble! You're making my head hurt! Where are the babes and guns?!?" Game journalists still don't know how to fit the Wii or Wii customers into their idea of what the game industry is. They still don't realize how important Wii Fit was and regard its 15m+ sales as both a travesty and a fluke.

It all depends on what you want out of E3. If E3 is a big "hardcore gamer party" for hyping next year's games to the kinds of people that drool over these shows, then Nintendo's presser was an absolute failure. If it's a trade show, then Nintendo did a great job unveiling its corporate strategy. The only trip-up I saw was the way the vitality sensor was unveiled. While it seems pretty clear to me that their goal is to keep selling games to the Wii Fit audience, they made the mistake of unveiling this thing without a game. But it's certainly more newsworthy than Microsoft announcing that a bunch of predictable cross-platform sequels are indeed coming to its console.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is by far the biggest announcement. NSMB on the DS is not just one of the best-selling DS games, but one of the best selling games of all time. The demand for a 2D Mario platformer appears to be as high as ever, and that's what Nintendo's bringing to the Wii for this Christmas. It's potentially bigger than if MS had announced FFXIII exclusivity. 2D Mario with 80 levels, Yoshi, new power-ups, 4-player co-op/competition, and the return of the Koopa Kids? That's huge.

I think this was Nintendo's most aggressive E3 since 2006. Did journalists realize that? No, of course not. They think revolution in the industry is about some pompous blowhard making a game about Norse cyber-gods that nobody actually buys. But Nintendo unveiled that they are actively trying to dominate the market on women gamers, reminded everyone that Motion Plus is coming out soon with actual games, smacked everyone in the face with 2D Mario, and topped it off with two major sops to the incredibly whiny "hardcore" fans with more Mario Galaxy and a Team Ninja Metroid.

Just seen the new SM game on GT

[gt]50739[/gt]

Nice idea, but they have got to get rid f that pause whenever a player is hit! Whatever possessed them to freeze every player when one player is hit?!

Well after Nintendo's "awesome" E3, I decided to sell the Wii. Money in the pocket and no big loss. Transaction completed quickly. With SMG2 being quite a while out, I don't need it sitting here collecting dust.

Back