[360] Crackdown 2

Guess I'm the only one looking forward to this title.

But then, I love whacking zombi^H^H^H^Hfreaks

Cheers

Guess I'm the only one looking forward to this title.

But then, I love whacking zombi^H^H^H^Hfreaks

Cheers

You're not the only one. I'm quite happy. Also, the Freaks come out at certain times and in certain areas but if you were reading the thread, you'd think it's L4D3.

I think I'm referring to the quality of the material released. Just look at the progression of this thread. When you created it, everyone was 'YESSSS!' Now you have a bunch of people going, 'Eh, really?'

Contrast that with the way other games work the fans into a frothy boil. In fact, a lot of games manage to build up MORE hype with each bit of media released.

I think the response has been lukewarm here because of the individual expectations. They were not expecting a focus on freaks. I'm not entirely sure it's that way everywhere else. It could just mean that people in this forum are way more picky than elsewhere.

Anyway, if you read the article I linked above I think it puts proper context around the focus on the freaks. I will agree they might have spelled that out a little sooner, but I don't think doing it this early(or late, depending on POV) will have too much effect on how it's perceived going forward.

Tommy McClain

I think the response has been lukewarm here because of the individual expectations. They were not expecting a focus on freaks. I'm not entirely sure it's that way everywhere else. It could just mean that people in this forum are way more picky than elsewhere.

Complaints about freaks doesn't account for everything. The weird-looking MP footage, for instance, or the enormous semi-bullshot screenshots that do nothing to hide any of the visual glitches of a game in development. It's only compounded by what seems to some like a departure in theme.

This isn't me saying 'geez, this game will suck because of freaks' (though some people are saying it) but rather: 'this is what you're showing us to drum up interest?'

Crackdown was a no named product that sodl really well but it was because of the halo 3 beta. I bet this will have a reach beta with it to sell it also and once people get it into their hands and play the actual game it will be really good

Crackdown was a no named product that sodl really well but it was because of the halo 3 beta. I bet this will have a reach beta with it to sell it also and once people get it into their hands and play the actual game it will be really good

<shakes head>

First, they already said the Reach beta is coming with ODST. There's no need for them to attach it to Crackdown 2 too.

Second, while I'll agree the majority of initial sales were solely due to the beta, I wouldn't contribute it completely to it either. Once people started playing it, the game received accolades and great reviews for being a great game. I've also heard that it sold probably even better in the second hand market than at retail & that went a long way to convincing Microsoft to doing a sequel.

Tommy McClain

I thought that same thing. Which is why I never bought the game until months ago when I bought it used because for $13, who can argue?

That game was selling for more than just the beta. It's a really fun game. Is it the best game ever technically or whatever? Perhaps not. But if I had a choice of popping in an open world game, I'm going with crackdown over GTA, I'll tell you that.

Not to mention that your statement isn't correct, because Crackdown had legs long beyond the Halo 3 beta. It's just a fun game.

If Crackdown 2 doesn't add anything other than 4 player multiplayer, it'll be enough to make it a hit.

Crackdown had a *really* strong demo. That's what sold it to me.

In terms of fun I haven't played a better game this gen.

Cheers

9 New screenshots

The draw distance in the 6th one looks more than great.
The only let down for me is that they changed the design of the old main character with this robotic crap.
The addition of the chopper is pretty cool, hopefully it will handle better than the GTA one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the armour designs. If they include a toggle for the helmet, that'd be nice too...

Crackdown had a *really* strong demo. That's what sold it to me.

In terms of fun I haven't played a better game this gen.

Cheers
Agreed the demo sold the game to me, I don't care for beta I only own a silver account.

Renegabe orbs and you can fly your entire co-op squad in the Helicopter with you. Yes, this will rock.

Crackdown 2 will also feature “renegade orbs” that don’t just sit still — they move around the city, and you’ve got to chase them, Noonan said.

You’ll also be able to take to the skies more effectively — later in the game, you’ll get a gliding ability that lets you soar through the levels, though not indefinitely. And there’s an Agency helicopter that you’ll earn towards the very end of the game, making the entire city your oyster.

The mission structure of the first game, in which you were largely tracking down crime bosses and then assassinating them in their secret lairs, is getting tweaked for the sequel. Now, there’s a wider variety of missions. You might have to recover parts of a super weapon that the Agency is building to destroy the Freak invasion, you might have to go into the Freak Lairs underground and wipe them out, etc.

Reserve your copy today and stand above the crowd — you’ll receive a code to download four exclusive suits of Agency-Issue armor: Gold, Brushed, Red and Blue Metal.

Not a real big incentive to pre-order. Bleh. Probably wait till after it's released to snatch it up since I'm definitely pre-ordering Reach and possibly Natal.

Tommy McClain

Back