[360] Forza Motorsport 3

I would take 60fps over improved visuals, simply because I know that visuals have limited satisfaction, whereas 60fps you will miss it...

Yamauchi doesn't even endorse anything under 60fps as a game if i remember.

I agree, the only thing I wish they would have been able to include would be 4xMSAA in game other than that I'm fine with the graphics, the lower polygon car models aren't really that visible in game.

LOD is LOD. :)

What is kind of silly is that the close-ups don't load the higher res models. Though it remains to be seen if photomode swaps those in...

I just played the Nf shift demo, it seems to have a better looking cockpit mode, it's got smoother anti-aliasing (360 version) , and it's got a better gloss effect than Forza3 on it's cars.

however, the exterior of the cars seem to lack a little bit more in polys, the reflections seem to update at 15 fps, it doesn't seem to be using any HDR, and the framerate seems to make the cars handel quite differently than Forza3's.

Shift is a pretty good game though when comparing it's console version to Forza3 it's tough considering the framerate differences, in which case for forza3 it gives the game a more natural flow in it's controls.

(.....if you're a Pc owner than framerate and reflection updates in this comparison wouldn't effect you at all so, i guess you can just ignore that.:smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:
LOD is LOD. :)

What is kind of silly is that the close-ups don't load the higher res models. Though it remains to be seen if photomode swaps those in...

It is silly, if GT5, PGR4 etc can manage it (some with more cars on the track) surely F3 can. Especially seeing as the high poly models are used in the pre-race animations, so they're already loaded in memory.

It is silly, if GT5, PGR4 etc can manage it (some with more cars on the track) surely F3 can. Especially seeing as the high poly models are used in the pre-race animations, so they're already loaded in memory.

I dont think so about GT5 and PGR4 didn't really have that much to begin with going by promo shots for PGR4. It's jsut that a bit of distance to the car viewed and it looks like it got 10x more detail than it really has.

See for yourself.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1340531&postcount=3298

Forza 2 vs Forza 3

http://www.gamereactor.dk/billeder/?textid=75085&id=193645

grafikduell_193645.jpg

They have others, in 720P too.

That Maple Valley comparision really don't show much of an improvement in F3 aside from the improved track textures and reduced aliasing. The car models look identical?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Turn10 didn't bother improving on the old tracks that much for some reason. Or are those pics perhaps from an older build (one can hope).

Anyone have any video links with tips for the line you should take in the demo? Something that breaks up the course into segments with suggestions would be nice.

The top 100 ghosts are just waaay too fast for me (58sec!) and I get blown away in the first corner. I hope the final build allows you to swap ghosts with friends.

Anyone have any video links with tips for the line you should take in the demo? Something that breaks up the course into segments with suggestions would be nice.

The top 100 ghosts are just waaay too fast for me (58sec!) and I get blown away in the first corner. I hope the final build allows you to swap ghosts with friends.

I improved my time quite a bit by just racing my own ghost and experimenting with different approaches to, lines through and exits of each turn. Your set pace will show when a line works better or worse for each one, then it's just a matter of applying the best approach for each turn in one clean run.

You also have the option of racing with the ghosts of people with lap times near yours, so if you go to the top of that range you may have a more realistic goal to reach and guide to follow. Do this a few times and you can at least improve your time incrementally.

Looks like Turn10 didn't bother improving on the old tracks that much for some reason. Or are those pics perhaps from an older build (one can hope).

I don't think it's the build unfortunately.
grafikduell_193647b.jpg

The New York track still looks underwhelming, the buildings look like something from an Xbox 1 game :cry:

Very disappointing, especially when compared to the photo-realistic city tracks you get in PGR4 or GT5, hell probably even GTA4 has better looking city environments.

The lighting and reflections look better, and in motion the texture crawling is gone in FM3. But it is still surprising how close the still look.

Back