[360] Forza Motorsport 3

Does GT5P even have a photo mode though?

GT5 Prologue certainly hasn't. I expect GT5 to have a pretty stellar one however, probably with partial or actual raytracing included, if we can take the garage view and other comparable showcases that nevertheless now show some strong aliasing and low-res blurring in GT5 Prologue. It's probably going to be pretty crazy.

I think what he means is that GT4's photo mode didn't preclude regular screenshots/framedumps and such being released? GT4 wasn't the first game with photo mode either by the way...
Out of curiosity, do you know what was? It was certainly my first encounter with a photo mode.
...but it was certainly one of the most important games to make it popular. It never had the intention to 'mislead' the public though - it was purely intended (and I think used) as a fan-service to car nuts.
I would guess that's the intention in all implmentations, as a fan-service. Especially in racers for car-nuts. That doesn't preclude it being abused though, and a lack of real in-game screenshots is misrepresentative.

A couple of new screens were released yesterday for those interested;
They're definitely giving PD a run for their money!

I think I've got a game called Sega GT for the original Xbox that had allowed you to make photos during your replay that you could then display in your 'garage' or main menu or something. I'm not sure if that's the first game either, but I do believe it was out well before GT4.

Yes, checking the interwebs reveals Sega GT 2002 releasing in 2003 so that's a few years before GT4. It has a number of other fairly forward looking features too, but the game never gained a lot of popularity. For my part that was because the driving just didn't feel great.

I'd much rather have 16 cars and lower fidelity graphics than 8 cars with high poly count.

Couldn't instancing the same geometry be used to reduce memory pressure for the additional cars instead of lowering LOD? I don't have GT5, so I don't know if you are able to use 16 different car models in the same race, but the screenshots I have seen always only show a limited number of different car types.

Couldn't instancing the same geometry be used to reduce memory pressure for the additional cars instead of lowering LOD? I don't have GT5, so I don't know if you are able to use 16 different car models in the same race, but the screenshots I have seen always only show a limited number of different car types.

You can drive 16 different car models in the same race in Gran Turismo.

The general public won't accept 'race mode' screenshots, this is why few companies will release them. It's not a Turn10 thing, it's a industry wide issue. It's about trying to sell your game. You put it in the best light you can, it makes little sense otherwise.
Look at games that do, and even if they have 4xAA and good filtering (which F3 appears to have) people still rip them apart.
Frankly, there is nothing that can be done about it. So take the screenshots as they are. It doesn't change the fact the game looks amazing, especially considering these consoles are effectively mid-range x1800 / 7800 generation hardware that is nearly 5 years old with as much memory as some of todays cell phones!

Having said that,
These are not bullshots, bullshots have been edited or misrepresent the content of the game..
They are PR-shots, higher resolution, yes. But there is nothing to indicate they are including details or effects that would otherwise not be there in a 30fps replay. And to what we know, all a replay adds is motion blur and depth of field.

We have direct feed 30fps realtime replay footage (which looks very good)
We have off screen 60fps realtime gameplay footage (which also looks very good)
And some have suggested the footage on XLBM has a short section of realtime direct feed in game footage.

But then I wonder why do I bother. I know well enough the game will almost certainly be fantastic.

The general public won't accept 'race mode' screenshots, this is why few companies will release them. It's not a Turn10 thing, it's a industry wide issue. It's about trying to sell your game. You put it in the best light you can, it makes little sense otherwise.

Just to clarify, I have no beef with this. I was simply vocalising a personal opinion that I am not particularly interested in in-engine/out-of-game screenshots, and will draw no conclusions, positive or negative, about F3 until I've seen where actual in-game image fidelity (and framerate) lie.

I've played enough Forza 2 (I'm actually trying to complete it as far as possible right now before Supercar Challenge comes out) to know exactly where it stands, and I'm interested to find out where Forza 3 is.

My primary concern (hopefully unfounded) right now is that all the talk seems to be about competing with Gran Turismo, rather than making Forza a better game. They have a cockpit view but it's supposedly 30fps, so that's a waste of time for me. They're claiming significant graphical improvements but there's still only 8 cars on track, the exact opposite of the upgrade I want. They haven't said anything about driving model improvements, but they're showing off that cars can roll - again it's an addition which is not in the direction I'm looking for. The absolute worst case for me would be if they've tried so hard to chase GT graphically that the framerate takes a hit. I sincerely hope not.

If anything their claims and PR are reducing my excitement for F3 rather than increasing it, which is a shame.

Just to clarify, I have no beef with this. I was simply vocalising a personal opinion that I am not particularly interested in in-engine/out-of-game screenshots, and will draw no conclusions, positive or negative, about F3 until I've seen where actual in-game image fidelity (and framerate) lie.

I've played enough Forza 2 (I'm actually trying to complete it as far as possible right now before Supercar Challenge comes out) to know exactly where it stands, and I'm interested to find out where Forza 3 is.

My primary concern (hopefully unfounded) right now is that all the talk seems to be about competing with Gran Turismo, rather than making Forza a better game. They have a cockpit view but it's supposedly 30fps, so that's a waste of time for me. They're claiming significant graphical improvements but there's still only 8 cars on track, the exact opposite of the upgrade I want. They haven't said anything about driving model improvements, but they're showing off that cars can roll - again it's an addition which is not in the direction I'm looking for. The absolute worst case for me would be if they've tried so hard to chase GT graphically that the framerate takes a hit. I sincerely hope not.

If anything their claims and PR are reducing my excitement for F3 rather than increasing it, which is a shame.

Just some info that may alleviate your concerns.

The Cockpit view is being worked on, at the Audi AXF event, the T10 guys did say to one of the guys 60fps is the target for all view, and it's quite evident from the lighting model that they haven't 'finished' in this area of the game.

The driving model improvements have been 'talked' about to get a good idea
- Tyre deformation phsyics
- More realistic centre's of gravity
And feedback from all at the 24 Hour AXF event was that it's a big step up from FM2..

The other issue with all this comparison of 'screen shots' seems largely a battle of the photo-mode.
People say GT5 doesn't have this, yet if you press 'triangle' in game, you suddenly get a nice view of the car with DOF/max LOD, etc, etc.. which seems unerringly the same as FM3's photo-mode...

People are right in that we are so 'hyped' on photo-mode shots from all games that looking 'in-game' is not the same experience, and people would moan.

Here's a shot only intended to show worse case direct feed in-game screen shot that shows how far even it's rival can differ (Not meant as fanboy, simply that both games are so much better when in photo-mode)

granturismo5prologue5sm.jpg:

And I bet FM3 isn't going to be much better!

It was said over on fm.net from the people that went to the Audi AXF 24 hour event that 60fps will be accross all views, which kind of ties in with the 'talk' that in the E3 demo, the cockpit view was added quite late, and needed optimising..

The driving model improvments have been touted quite vocally, tyre deformation physics, some insight from the MacLaren F1 simulator, more realisitic centre of gravities, etc.
Everyone that has given 'feedback' regards how the cars drive from the Audi event have unanimously said it's a noticeable step up from FM2, so it's shaping up nicely..

The Photomode stuff is (I agree with the poster above) necessary these days, people just need to be shown as photo-realistic as they can get or their would be uproar..

People say GT5 doesn't have this, yet if you press 'triangle' in game, you suddenly get a nice view of the car with DOF/max LOD, etc, etc.. which seems unerringly the same as FM3's photo-mode...

Ok we must be talking GT5p here, but where exactly by pressing triangle button we get this MAX-LOD car picture? Does it add AA and also render at different settings than in replay mode or race mode?

Ok we must be talking GT5p here, but where exactly by pressing triangle button we get this MAX-LOD car picture? Does it add AA and also render at different settings than in replay mode or race mode?

Yes, sorry, I did mean GT5:p.. (Great game btw)..

some guy over at GTPlanet have been taking some pics of some concept car..

e.g.
http://i44.tinypic.com/17wgpf.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dcbfpc.jpg

And when asked how, the 'triangle' button was mentioned..

I don't see the big deal myself, PD/T10 do largely offer photo-mode shots to promote their products.

I think however T10's replay videos are very close to the 'real' thing, and having seen off-screen captures of the same sequences that where in-game all differences seem minimal at best and I'd be happy to say they are more indicative of realtime in-game then anything else..

Back