[360] Forza Motorsport 3

Bummer, so what I've seen so far isn't actual gameplay videos?

Granted, I haven't been following this too closely just checking out linked video's here and there. Haven't really been interested in racing games since around 2002.

Regards,
SB

All of the official screenshots I've seen are from the replay mode which bakes the physics and then adds AA and such. Which sucks because it is a bit misleading... but thats modern day marketing.

Whats worse is they can simply switch to the "normal race camera" during replays and it will give the impression that it was taken from race mode shots. :rolleyes:

Bummer, so what I've seen so far isn't actual gameplay videos?

Gamersyde (and GT) have some realtime gameplay off screen and aliasing is minimal. Will there be aliasing? Duh, yes, the machine maxes out at 4xMSAA. On the other hand Turn10 as addressed a lot of aliasing issues, not just edge aliasing (which eventually got 4x in a patch in FM2). They really cleaned up image quality (everything from higher resolution/higher updated reflections, removing the nasty white pixels, applied some texture filtering, etc).

While I have respect for what this studio does with the game, I can't help but be disgusted with their amatuerish behavior during (and after) E3. Their constant slamming of Polyphony Digital is unacceptable.

I've never liked Che, but it seems as though many other members of the development team share the childish thoughts and opinions that he does.

I'll probably still buy Forza 3, but I may consider purchasing it used.

While I have respect for what this studio does with the game, I can't help but be disgusted with their amatuerish behavior during (and after) E3. Their constant slamming of Polyphony Digital is unacceptable.

I've never liked Che, but it seems as though many other members of the development team share the childish thoughts and opinions that he does.

I'll probably still buy Forza 3, but I may consider purchasing it used.

Yeah kinda unecessary but they seem to mimick the to be found PS3 devs attitude going by interviews and forums and slander talk. Still not good whoever does it.

OT: Kinda lame with replay videos as both games looks far better in replays. FZ3 seems to look better IMO in replays (judging by those offscreen replay/gameplay videos). But didn't Turn 10 say they needed to polish things up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah kinda unecessary but they seem to mimick the to be found PS3 devs attitude going by interviews and forums and slander talk. Still not good whoever does it.

OT: Kinda lame with replay videos as both games looks far better in replays. FZ3 seems to look better IMO. But didn't Tunr 10 say they needed to polish things up?

Not that it's related to this thread, but I haven't heard many developers, period, saying another developer is "past their prime" or that their product "has become stagnant".

Not Bungie, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Polyphony, Square, no one. It's just unprofessional and amatuer. Afterall, Polyphony didn't trash Turn10 when Forza 1 was released and only ran at 30fps.

Polyphony NEVER trashed Forza. Same thing can't be said for Turn 10 and their anti-PD talk.

Yamauchi: Straight off the bat, I think that in terms of feature sets, Forza is ahead of us. They have more options, you can do basically anything. We take a different approach obviously - we try to concentrate on what are the core values for a racing game, and we try to elevate those standards up as high as we possibly can. I am having difficulty trying to explain the differences, but one way you can look at it is, you can buy a watch that is super multifunctional, but economical, or a watch that is reduced in functions, but premium - higher end.

Well, let's not take it too far off track though. I apologize for my comments, I don't want to derail the thread. I am just very passionate about games, and it aggrivates me that someone who should be respectful of their peers is not, especially when it's undeservedly so.

I'm still excited for Forza 3, and cannot wait to purchase my [used] copy.

Is this game a poster boy for the Xbox 360's tessellation engine and tessellation in general? It just seems like they couldn't have increased the polygon count by that much on the same generation hardware without it.

Anyone have any input on this? The tesselator is something I've always wondered if it is just a bullet point feature that had no real world use (at least the version on the 360). I know Viva Pinata used it for the ground deformation, but nothing else seems to use it (or nobody talks about using it).

I've no idea, but a good place to seek an answer on that would be NeoGAF, Chespace (Forza's Community Manager) may be able to better answer that question. Or you could possibly head over to the Forza Community (forzamotorsport.net) and ask there.

I'd definitely ask via PM though, you may confuse a lot of forum members :p

Thats "in-game" footage but from "race mode" footage. Its all from the replay editor which pumps up the graphics.

Does anyone have any direct screenshots/videos of the race mode. Curious to see what the AA and Shadows look like.:?:

I think there is only off-screen gameplay footage

I imagine it's just that PD is king of the hill. They have created the definitive console racer, so they have a target on their backs.

But you are right. No dev should slam another. Let the games do the talking. I've heard Forza's project lead guy (Dan Greenawalt?) talk before, and after about 30 seconds I was ready for him to shut the hole under his nose.

I'm a huge Forza fan, and can't wait for 3 to come out. But it seems rather presumptious to claim the most cars and tracks this gen when it's highly likely that GT will offer more of both. They need to qualify that with "at the time is ships, it will..." It's probable Forza will have more online features, more extensive damage (roll over), and customization, but we'll have to wait and see. I'll give you one thing, Sony has been very patient with PD. ;)

Turn10 can grate at times, yet calling your game premium/higher end isn't a swipe at all! (Not!) Get over it folks, the reality is these two studios are competiting on a number of levels. I am sure it annoys Turn10 to see GT sales and rabid fanbase and yet see how their product (which is available) hits the check boxes, and then some. Turn10 has some attitude and don't relate well at times ... to say the least ... but the fact they are going to turn out 2 next gen racers before PD gets one out is significant. Kind of outrageous having to wait until 2010 for a sim racer when the Xbox already has a couple. And I am sure Turn10 doesn't like their unreleased competition calling their product premium and higher end.

As for snide comments, having seen forum goers here flame away at devs who say things they don't like about their preeeecious makes me want to laugh... or not post!

Damn you just beat me to it. PD are basically just more PC and polite when calling out their competition.

We have have the premium product because we concentrated on the core aspects of a racer that people care about. So we're a higher quality product.

While Forza has more options but is shallower and more of a budget/economy title.

Turn10 just happens to be a bit more blunt. And grating in how they try to downplay the competition.

Regards,
SB

Damn you just beat me to it. PD are basically just more PC and polite when calling out their competition.

We have have the premium product because we concentrated on the core aspects of a racer that people care about. So we're a higher quality product.

While Forza has more options but is shallower and more of a budget/economy title.

Turn10 just happens to be a bit more blunt. And grating in how they try to downplay the competition.

Regards,
SB

And they (Turn10) play up to their audience who acts the same way.

I read the comment about Polophony visiting Turn10´s booth and asking questions, competition is good, but i then wondered what parts of the Forza games we see in the GT series, i honestly don´t know. Anyone does?

I'm a huge Forza fan, and can't wait for 3 to come out. But it seems rather presumptious to claim the most cars and tracks this gen when it's highly likely that GT will offer more of both. They need to qualify that with "at the time is ships, it will..." It's probable Forza will have more online features, more extensive damage (roll over), and customization, but we'll have to wait and see. I'll give you one thing, Sony has been very patient with PD. ;)

There could always be more content added later tracks/cars as DLC.

Anyway it's interesting that the senior designer at T10 is Jun Taniguchi formerly at SEGA.:cool:

I'm a huge Forza fan, and can't wait for 3 to come out. But it seems rather presumptious to claim the most cars and tracks this gen when it's highly likely that GT will offer more of both.

I haven't read anything like that. Obviously, that would be silly, since everybody expect GT5 have more cars and tracks. Honestly, the whole talk about a game being the definitive racer is silly. Forza 3 and GT5 will end up being quite different games. I expect the former to be the more interesting in terms of handling and the number of features, and the latter to have a visual edge and to have more content.

Even then, there will always be those who prefer the arcade racing of the PGR, Burnout, DIRT or NFS series. There are far too many great racing games this year to be talking about something "definitive".

Back