[360] Forza Motorsport 3

GameTrailers off-screen Replay Footage

Watch for the panning over the car and its interior and the end of the video. If that is representative of the game model than :oops: It looks like Turn 10 has outdone themselves with Forza 3, I never expected it to look that good considering the amount of dev time relative to Gran Turismo 5.

Well they said 10x polygons so that would make them extremly detailed at upto 1m polys each.

Well they said 10x polygons so that would make them extremly detailed at upto 1m polys each.

Yeah, but how could they handle something like 600,000 - 800,000 polys per car in-game at 60FPS with that beautiful scenery as well. I am guessing they have like super high detail cars for the garage and replays and then lower detail ones for the actual races or something like that.

Yeah, but how could they handle something like 600,000 - 800,000 polys per car in-game at 60FPS with that beautiful scenery as well. I am guessing they have like super high detail cars for the garage and replays and then lower detail ones for the actual races or something like that.

I bet 10$ on tesselation feature of Xenos. I remember with 9800pro (ATI TruForm) and how Raven Shield police characters bumped from ~3-5k to about 25k polys each with smooth framerates. magic? Hell no!

I'm thinking Forza 2 models were probably more like 40.000 polys max. If they managed to push it up to 400.000 that would mean they could do 200.000 on the interior and 200.000 on the exterior. In theory, according to the figures we're getting from the developers, that would put both games at the same amount of polygons per car - GT5 Prologue is supposed to have 100.000 polygons on the interior and another 100.000 on the exterior. And 8 cars x 400.000 equals 16 cars x 200.000 ...

In practice though, I'm strongly suspecting that Forza 2 will be like PGR4 and only have that amount of detail when you park a single car somewhere along the road and drive 0 mph. I think games on the 360 under optimum conditions push 3-4 million polygons, and 8x400.000 uses up that budget already leaving practically nothing for the track, which doesn't seem likely. In both games, there's undoubtedly a lot of LOD-ing going on, as has always been. Forza has the added difficulty of supporting custom liveries, which is awesome but must cost at least a bit of power.

In both games, the individual car models are clearly very, very detailed, and that detail will very likely shine most in selection screens and replay modes - in other words, when you have time to look at them. ;)

OT
I wonder if it would interesting to ask our dear devs in a proper thread what they think about the interaction between Dx11 and 360 development. Not that the xenos is directx11 compliant but it can support tesselation, multi thread rendering and while not able to deal with compute shaders where they stand in regard to memexport use.
/OT

I'm thinking Forza 2 models were probably more like 40.000 polys max. If they managed to push it up to 400.000 that would mean they could do 200.000 on the interior and 200.000 on the exterior. In theory, according to the figures we're getting from the developers, that would put both games at the same amount of polygons per car - GT5 Prologue is supposed to have 100.000 polygons on the interior and another 100.000 on the exterior. And 8 cars x 400.000 equals 16 cars x 200.000 ...

LOD would make the last 8 cars basically free. Polycount fidelity scales inversely with the distance to the object squared, cars 9 through 16 would have to be further away because you can't physically cram 15 cars in the view frustrum just outside the wind shield.

I'm guessing it's the amount of physics simulation that limits the number of cars to 8, - especially with the more advanced tire-simulation. 8 cars with 4 tires with 360 ticks per second ( 6x oversampled compared to framerate). The you have suspension, aerodynamics (no idea how complex/complete this is) etc.

Cheers

One thing is for sure, the AI/other players wont have 100-200k polys for the interiors etc. The only interesting part here is how well the framerate would be with all cars closeup. I've seen some severe framerate dips in such situations for GT5. Wonder how F3 does with 8 cars.

In practice though, I'm strongly suspecting that Forza 2 will be like PGR4 and only have that amount of detail when you park a single car somewhere along the road and drive 0 mph. I think games on the 360 under optimum conditions push 3-4 million polygons, and 8x400.000 uses up that budget already leaving practically nothing for the track, which doesn't seem likely. In both games, there's undoubtedly a lot of LOD-ing going on, as has always been. Forza has the added difficulty of supporting custom liveries, which is awesome but must cost at least a bit of power.

Sure 3-4m but how about with tesselation feature of Xenos? I also think the cars might have some more detail in garage or in showroom like what seems in GT5. But perhaps main car has more detail and the rest less in ingame play. Or so it seemed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, to date very few games have taken advantage of the tesselator of Xenos. If they've managed to come up with an efficient way to use it, it does allow them to use orders of magnitude more triangles for things.

Regards,
SB

Gamespot 14 Min. Demo

Overall a good presentation, but I recomend you download the 180mb version on the right hand side. Its a shame GameSpot makes you subscribe for the high quality footage because they have an 800mb version of this video.

EDIT: I noticed the cars have real-time environment reflections which is pretty impressive. In one scene when Che switches to the hood view you can see the reflection of the car in front of him on the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I noticed the cars have real-time environment reflections which is pretty impressive. In one scene when Che switches to the hood view you can see the reflection of the car in front of him on the hood.

Seems limited to just the hood view, but I would think it's no different than having the rear-view mirrors in terms of performance.

The replay mode is actually usefull now! FM2 had *the* worst replay system in a racing game. The camera would just be zoomed in around the car the whole damn time. Now it looks to be quite well done. This is easily the most improved game of the show. The leap over FM2 is very impressive. Didn't expect them to pull all of this off.

430scuderiasuzukafm2.jpg

430scuderiasuzukafm3.jpg

r8silverstone1fm2.jpg

r8silverstonefm3.jpg

Upgrade is very noticeable!

[gs]11302_en[/gs]

FM3 looks a lot better than FM2--I really hope they patch FM3 with Natal for head tracking from the cabin view! One thing I miss in the graphics is the iris effect. The reflections seem to update better than FM2s choppy/low resolution ones, my guess is they took a nod from PGR4 and used the last scene data for reflections?

I really hope they have an "ultra realism" mode because simulation mode was far too forgiving last time. My wish list from a while back looks substantially fulfilled though, so that is exciting. They mention on Live that there is 2 player and 2 player coop, so hopefully that indicates single box MP against AI and online (FM2 only had 1v1 no bots and only 1 players online per box). It also seems they have hinted at "arcade" mode. The ability to set all sorts of MP gametype modifiers sounds cool--hopefully they have "foced pit" so we can do ~ 6 laps with a forced pit & accelerated ware. Some series adjustments would be quite cool as well (online multi-race series were rare in my experience) and some sort of rubberband feature would be nice to enable due to only 8 cars. I am anxous to see if they have done some work to the career mode... maybe even brought it online forsome sort of seasons. I am curious if the new wrecks mean some glass and oil get on the track?

Definately excited about this one online. Maybe Robert will keep this one longer than a month :p

My schedule here is BRUTAL. I still haven't popped in FM2 yet. Even worse, the wireless internet here sucks (barely faster than dial-up).

It looks like I won't get some LIVE time with the group until December.:cry:

My schedule here is BRUTAL. I still haven't popped in FM2 yet. Even worse, the wireless internet here sucks (barely faster than dial-up).

It looks like I won't get some LIVE time with the group until December.:cry:

Dude, that is horrible!! Is there any alternative online services in the area? I am guessing the "barracks" don't allow a service (even through the cable??), but maybe Clearspeed or whatnot may be an option? Or pay for a second connection in the office with a better router :p

2 more questions...

1) Is the damage model the same or improved from F2? i.e. Will have have more visual damage, doors missing, heavy chassis damage.

2) If a car flips will it be automatically reset or will the race end for that car?

Back