Microsoft E3 2009 Keynote Thread

I'd like to correct that no MGS5 has been announced yet.
MGS: Rising is not Metal Gear Solid 5.

Er. Okay. I suppose there's no Call of Duty 6 announced, either.

Additionally, Kotaku reports that Gamespress claims that MGS:Rising is 360, PS3 and, amazingly, PC. Not really a confirmation, considering that these things are misprinted all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see that there is some positive feedback from people getting hands on demo's with Natal. That Burnout is working flawlessly with Natal is pretty impressive also. And bodes well for backwards compatability with games developed before Natal is released.

Also, X360 is hardly hardcore only. There's actually a rather surprising amount of people that have an X360 only for Netflix and streaming movies.

I also don't see why the X360 can't capture more of the family market. It is already perceived by many (in my area at least) as the more family friendly machine between PS3 and X360. Not sure why...

There's also plenty of games released that target the child audience, albeit mostly through movie tie-ins.

All that's required is an application that people feel they must have after seeing someone else using/playing it.

And honestly how much more casual and simultaneously hardcore can you get than minority report style controls? :)

Regards,
SB

Nice to see that there is some positive feedback from people getting hands on demo's with Natal. That Burnout is working flawlessly with Natal is pretty impressive also. And bodes well for backwards compatability with games developed before Natal is released.

Also, X360 is hardly hardcore only. There's actually a rather surprising amount of people that have an X360 only for Netflix and streaming movies.

I also don't see why the X360 can't capture more of the family market. It is already perceived by many (in my area at least) as the more family friendly machine between PS3 and X360. Not sure why...

There's also plenty of games released that target the child audience, albeit mostly through movie tie-ins.

All that's required is an application that people feel they must have after seeing someone else using/playing it.

And honestly how much more casual and simultaneously hardcore can you get than minority report style controls? :)

Regards,
SB

That's a really tough statement to prove. Extremely tough.

That said, I think Natal is cool, but I think it's chances at mainstream success are slim.

One of the first things I did with my Wii in the baseball game was to hold the Wiimote behind my head waiting for the pitch and give it a wiggle. Despite clearly not being aimed anywhere near the sensor bar it handled this just fine. Try it.

Try playing boom blox.

It's far less forgiving.

Regards,
SB

Depends on who you're attempting to lure into a sale.

Someone unfamiliar with games/gaming would demo the thing and if they were impressed enough to buy, head to the store and pickup a xb360 and a cool looking game, foolishly thinking they have just purchased the experience they just demoed.

It needs to be a distinct brand for people to get it.

Heck, you didn't see Nintendo tack this onto a gc as an add-on and expect success. They technically did this, but they were smart enough to recognize that this interface is different enough to be a stand alone brand and platform. So much so, that they gave it a very unconventional name that is very non-game and not intimidating at all.

MS doesn't need to go that far with it, but they should certainly look to what made the Wii successful and attempt to emulate. They did a VERY good job of learning from ps2 and mistakes they made with xbox ... I think (hope) they will be smart about Natal as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't get the Natal thing

We need to expand the market. Sales to hardcore gamers is good, but not enough anymore. Stuff like Netflix, Facebook, etc, are one way to do it. A funky new never before seen control scheme is another way. The advantage of something like Natal is it gets people talking, and it gets others involved in games who would otherwise never be involved, like a Spielberg type person, which in tern gets even more people talking, more media coverage directed to your product, and more people interested in producing something for it or buying it.

That is one of the things that really helped the Wii, where all sorts of media outlets that normally ignore video games (other than to blame all crime on GTA) were now blabbing on about how cool the Wii was, and trying to show how hip and with it they were by standing on stage on some talk show waggling the Wii controller.

I have no idea how they are going to use Natal, but it's hard not to see the huge potential behind it. Ultimately, the more attention it grabs, the better. It should let them really leverage their $199 box which means more sales volume, which makes us real happy since we desperately need more consoles out there.

I really do find it hard to believe in Natal. The AI will work on psychological tricks. Making you the person played rather than you playing the game. Otherwise Turing test passer here we come. They show that they can do motion capture better than the movie industry can. No need for marker balls or fluerencent makeup. I just don't believe it even with an extra year of development from now. The voice recognition seamed too fancy for right now aswell.

Let's say Peter/Lionhead/MS fully creates and fleshes out Milo (or another form), basically an interactive AI... ie a simple Cortana. Imagine this type of AI being part of Xbox 720. Instead of having NXE, the AI would replace it. Imagine this:

Spike the AI: "Hi duk, how are you today? You look a bit tired, long day?"
me: "Hey Spike, yeah long day at work. How are you?"
Spike the AI: "Sorry to see you've had a tiring day. Maybe some games to relieve some stress?"
me: "Yeah sounds good."
Spike the AI: "Great, what would you like to play?"
me: "How about some Halo 5"
Spike the AI: "Sure let me load it up for you. Also you have some messages waiting. Would you like to view them now or later?"
me: "Nah I'll view them later. Wait I've got a phone call, put the game on hold for me"
Spike the AI: "Sure thing just let me know when you're ready. At the meantime, I'll turn on some of your favorite music."

Yikes, just think of the possibilities with Natal and Milo. :D

Natal's most promising applications wont be AI based because AI is hard limited.

That said, some milo type thing might be cool with the mainstream, just understand it would be heavily limited. It's just that mainstreamers wont care.

Let's say Peter/Lionhead/MS fully creates and fleshes out Milo (or another form), basically an interactive AI... ie a simple Cortana. Imagine this type of AI being part of Xbox 720. Instead of having NXE, the AI would replace it. Imagine this:

Yikes, just think of the possibilities with Natal and Milo. :D

Well, yes, let's imagine all of that. Then hard reality crashes into us and we're still on Earth and superluminal travel isn't possible.

Yeah I am sure it will be very limited but imagine if your console has a simple AI for this kind of stuff?

Yeah I am sure it will be very limited but imagine if your console has a simple AI for this kind of stuff?

That was my exact thought after seeing Milo. Why would I give a damn about this kid. Give me a personality to interact with the can do some work, search the net for me, read me articles like Major Kusinagi. Let it cue up music or games or movies. Don't make me babysit some brat. I want a Tachikoma!

No more Xbox Originals...

Xbox Originals, the program that puts Xbox 1 titles on Marketplace for download is coming to a close. With the impending arrival of downloadable retail games on Xbox Live, Microsoft has "finished it's portfolio" of Xbox Originals. One more game (still to be announced) will be made an Original soon. But after that no more Xbox Originals will see the light of day.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/990/990070p1.html

What a bummer. With 462 backward compatible Xbox games available they only managed 29 Xbox Original titles for download(not including the 1 yet to be announced)? That's sad. I think had they actually added achievements they probably would have gotten a more favorable response. I know I might have actually purchased a few.

Tommy McClain

@joker454

I completely agree with the need to expand the market and get more people involved in videogaming. But my problem is...

I have no idea how they are going to use Natal, but it's hard not to see the huge potential behind it.

If I can use Home as an example, when I first heard about that I could see a huge potential, and my mind was buzzing with ideas. It has to be said that pretty much none of the ideas I had have been realised by Sony yet, but the point is it got me interested in possibilities of how it could (and still might) work.

Natal on the other hand, I have no idea. I can't come up with a single idea which couldn't be done on EyeToy. It just didn't spark any kind of interest or creativity in me. The lag and lack of accuracy have a part to play in that. This is why I don't "get it", and I'm thinking as much of hardcore games as games I'd like to play with the Mrs, and drawing a blank. Even on forums I can't see anybody coming up with a real killer idea that makes me sit up and take notice of what could be done with this, either in a core or casual gaming sense.

As you say, the attention-grabbing aspect is important, but you need experiences which grab that attention first and foremost. It's all very well comparing it to the Wii, but the Wii was doing something brand new which caught the attention of people outside of the traditional gaming environment, in part because it was brand new. That horse has bolted - with 50m people riding it, too.

I sat there watching the guy throw paint at the walls, thinking "this is cool, show them you can do the basics, now go up to the screen and do something impressive like fine brushstrokes on the canvas, then take out a sword and slice the canvas to the ground" - and it didn't happen. That was one of the two best live demos they could come up with for this technology? Slapdash paint throwing? What ideas does that give me?

Like any mid-gen tech introduction, it needs to be cheap and it needs lots of developer support and creativity. I'm not sure it will tick either box.

I hope I'm wrong and people with much more creativity than me had their synapses firing after seeing that reveal, that this technology gets the lag sorted out and releases with some really interesting must-have experiences alongside it, but for me that is very much hope rather than expectation right now.

Slightly off current topic, but does anyone know what happened to Rare at E3?, was really hoping for some Kameo2 ,VP or Banjo announcement, all I've been able to find is almost non reported xbla port of perfect dark being released this winter and I'm fed up of shooters :)

A boxing game would work well, of course. That's about all I can think of.

I'm starting to think what MS really is going for is a beachhead in the smart home war. The feature set really isn't game oriented.

Back