Microsoft E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Games on Demand? What does that mean exactly? Current gen retail release downloads? Is that what I think it means?

Essentially. Gizmodo's saying that Bioshock, Mass Effect etc. Not sure if that's real or just a mockup, especially when it comes to third-party games. I mean, Xbox originals is hardly popping with content (still better than the US PS Store's PS1 lineup, naturally).

The motion control seems to work really well thought the art demo was great! It does seem like games for it will have to all be of the quik minigame kind, which is actually a good thing if you ask me, the harcore traditional games are already covered.

I dont think its going to have anywhere near the same level of success the wii has though. I think itll grab the same sort of audience as the eyetoy as is a very similar concept that just works much better.

Games on Demand? What does that mean exactly? Current gen retail release downloads? Is that what I think it means?

Yeah, full versions of current gen games like Bioshock and Mass Effect and many others. The one downside is that you have to use a credit card and not your free ms point cards ;).

They don't say if you can download the games on their release date.

I'm putting the new threads also in the first post of this thread so you can reference and find them all there.

Yeah, all signs point to the manufacturers kinda agreeing about prolonging this hw cycle. Economy trouble, rising dev costs, and so on, it'll be better for everyone really.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd only get a new Xbox in 2013.

I wouldn't expect the next Xbox/PS for another 3 years...

Agreed ... now....

But a 2011 release was a likely scenario. Putting this controller in as a standard (or standard alternative) would ensure widespread dev support.

As is, it will have to be packed in with some significant game to get people to bite. True, this isn't a typical add-on, but they are fighting an uphill battle for a technology that really is a game changer.

It deserves more than "add-on" attention from developers, but that's all it will get if they don't move enough units.

Perhaps an xbox360 package (Natal360) with a specific name that includes the controller/camera just to get the separation/attention it deserves. Also give the option to purchase the Natal separately for those with xb360's.

Natal+NXE re haul +360 slim would be all that is needed to last them for 3 or even 4 years more.

That is what I am thinking also. No one wants to launch a console any time soon thanks to a world wide recession. Instead of launching a new console MS releases Natal to steal casuals from Nintendo. Include Natal in the arcade system and you have a real threat to nintendo if the right software is there.

The motion+voice controls were by far the most exciting thing at the MS keynote. For me, I doubt anything else at E3 can even come remotely close to making me as excited as this.

Only thing that could top this would be if MS said you could hook it up to a PC and it works with Windows 7.

If that happened I would buy like 5 of them on the day of release. :D

Wow, this can't come soon enough for when I can buy one... I can't even think of the last thing that had me so excited over just the potential of this. Hmmm, trying...trying. Nope, nothing I can think of in the past comes close to this.

The potential of something like this for home entertainment and computing is just massive.

Just imagine something like saying, "Volume" and then with a turn of the hand you can turn volume up or down. Or just say, "Stop" and the movie you are watching stops. Alternatively having a stop gesture to stop it.

Yeah, I can dig this for everything, including games.

Imagine fitness games. Martial arts instruction games. Obviously not for everyone. Some people will just be too lazy (or too tired after a day of work) to want to expend the energy for something like that. :)

The potential for something like this is virtually limitless. It'll be interesting to see if any devs can grasp the potential and run with it.

Regards,
SB

I don't see how it could get any simpler ...

You walk into a room, it recognizes you.

Everything you do in a game, is mimicked in controls that exist in real life ...

Maybe sell plastic add-ons (tennis racket, wheel, golf club) like Nintendo to help people "feel it"?

I guess my statements will really rest on the released product and how much it relies on gestures, etc.

if it has a lot of "gesture recognition" then I don't expect it to do well at all.

Natal is very impressive. Lots of great game announcements too. I would say Microsoft had a very impressive presentation.

The unfortunate thing is I think I'll have to clear up some more space in my 360 room so I can use the damn thing. I'm guessing EA Sports Active might show up pretty quickly after Natal's release.

As is, it will have to be packed in with some significant game to get people to bite. True, this isn't a typical add-on, but they are fighting an uphill battle for a technology that really is a game changer.

Again... if it works, they won't be able to build enough of them. Remember the scepticism about the Wiimote?

Again... if it works, they won't be able to build enough of them. Remember the scepticism about the Wiimote?

I get that, but the Wiimote is part of the system.

EVERY Wii game supports the control.

People don't have to worry about support. They go buy a Wii game and waggle the night away with friends.

This thing is great, but if it doesn't work with every game ... it won't draw in people the way Wii does.

If they treat it as a separate platform, they can make a KILLING.

Yeah if it does control the dash and stuff minority report style. All someone has to do is show someone else how they use it and people will be lining up to buy it...

That's without even using it in a game...

Hehe, my friend that has an X360 mostly just for Netflix has already said he's buying one as soon as it comes out. This from a guy who doesn't even play games on his X360 because they are "too expensive."

Regards,
SB

The only groundbreaking news was Metal Gear Rising. All of the rest games and announcments were known beforehand [old games, motion camera]... But it was a solid show, i really hope Nintendo and Sony will step up from this and deliver.

The Wii only had a handful of games in its first year and it still became a 50-million monster in a few years. They won't need full support or anything... and clearly they're already looking beyond the conventions of gaming. That painting stuff is just the beginning and has absolutely no competition on the market at all.

And by the way, how soon before the 360 itself drops under $200? They'll be able to release reasonably priced bundles of this thing pretty soon, so it'll be like launching a new platform. Only it plays X360 games, too!

Yeah if it does control the dash and stuff minority report style. All someone has to do is show someone else how they use it and people will be lining up to buy it...

That's without even using it in a game...

Hehe, my friend that has an X360 mostly just for Netflix has already said he's buying one as soon as it comes out. This from a guy who doesn't even play games on his X360 because they are "too expensive."

Regards,
SB

Doesn't have to be that complicated.

Just show people they can play, pause, adjust volume and subtitles of video/music without a remote. Would be great if the range and angle is super wide.

If it had web browsing, virtual keyboard entry would be a time saver too.

For gaming, you'll need a controller for most anyway. So the benefit is less.

Mitigated impressions from the show. Some things were great, others not so so. The camers is really intriguing and extremely promising. It bodes well for the future, but it won't make to to hardcore games I think. The thing that bothered me though...and I'm just expressing my opinion, so please don't take it as a trolling, is that none of the games really wowed me in terms of animation and graphics (neither Splinter Cell, nor Alan Wake). Perhaps my expectations have gone wild...

But good overall...

Crackdown 2" (Ruffian Games/Microsoft Game Studios). The sequel to the award-winning "Crackdown," "Crackdown 2" is the premier open-ended action experience that lets you be judge, jury and executioner for a vast city. Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 in 2010, "Crackdown 2" will take multiplayer(2) gaming to unprecedented levels for the ultimate cooperative and competitive multiplayer experience, providing you and your friends with the complete freedom to explore, destroy and play as you return to restore justice and peace to Pacific City - by any means necessary.

Back