[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Playing the MP, I was surprised by how solid it is compared to the beta/demo. Pop in is improved, the lighting seemed different, hit detection is pretty spot on, and the game didn't have the crushing blacks the older code suffered from. I've been impressed by how well it's handling.

Just wanted to get some details:
Campaign is roughly 10-15hrs? Seems so depending on difficulty level and play style.
Multiplayer is 6vs6 or more? 6vs6
360 version >>> ps3? I think it's more 360 = ps3 with some minimal differences. Haven't seen both versions to be honest.
Is the game any good, gameplay, story, etc? Gameplay is damn good, can't say much for the story since I'm not that far in the campaign.

Trying to decide if I should get it on 360, I currently don't have gold for Live.

Hope that helps :smile:

Whats goin on with the blur/bloom around the HUD, thought that was supposedly not there on 360 verion? Maybe it was changed in retail?

Beta/demo looked to be a pretty old build, it was confirmed that the HUD was different for the final game regarding glow and HUB bob.

Yea!They implanted story/info corridor part very well with open part of battle that you go through.Better than all time open or all time closed game design in my opinion.

Yeah it seems to be a bit of both. I do actually like Crysis 1's fully open style more though truth be told, but part 2 so far has kept some openeness in there, more than typical shooters, so I'm happy so far.

Im somewhat the opposite in my tastes. Much prefer a more scripted and linear gameplay. With open games i often feel like im really not doing it right. One person may have a blast playing through an area while another may be wondering what all the fuss is about when they find themselves not having very much fun at all. I can certainly see why it appeals more to a lot of people though there is certainly a good think for both game types to co-exist alongside eachother!

Im actually looking forward to the new deus ex to see if they can pull off what would be a nice blend of both imo, where you have plenty of choice of different ways to tackle situations and different paths to go down but once that path is chosen the actual gameplay for that segment is more linear. Looks like that from the most recent video anyhow, probably nothing like that though :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it seems to be a bit of both. I do actually like Crysis 1's fully open style more though truth be told, but part 2 so far has kept some openeness in there, more than typical shooters, so I'm happy so far.

Crysis 2 I think does a good job compromising between annoyingly open and extremely linear.

Even with that though it's annoying when you go up to, say the edge of a building which you should be able to jump off, but can't because of an invisible wall. IMO, level designers should have created at least some kind of geometry where you look at it and think, OK, I can't move/jump over there.

Game is fantastic so far though. But Stealth makes for pretty easy game play. Although I'm extremely annoyed that they took prone out of the game. /rude Crytek. And AI sometimes gets confused and stands in a corner staring at a wall.

Certain levels also have infinitely spawning enemies. But I don't mind that like some people do. And it's interesting how they do it. I sat on one of those levels for about a hour once just to see. And it will do somewhat rapid respawns (off map and then they walk onto the map at one of the edges) and then all spawns stop for like 1-2 minutes or so. Then they'll start spawning again.

Complexity of the game is an order of magnitude lower than Crysis 1. I don't want to say it's been consoleified, so lets just say they did it to make it more accessible for more people. But the end result is that the suit use is far less satisfying. I miss some of the minor intricacies of the first game, like strength mode helping stabilise your aiming reticle to make long distance sniping easier.

Levels are smaller and broken into bite sized "chunks." I'm assuming this was done to make it easier to fit into the limited memory of the consoles. Thus I don't miss the "speed" nanosuit ability much.

Still overall one of the best FPS games of this generation. And IMO graphics are on another level due to the lighting even if some other elements may have been pared back.

Regards,
SB

The game is a cakewalk on highest difficulty, compared to a good few other shooters including Crysis 1/Warhead which were substantially harder compared to this. I guess its because the suit powers here being extremely effective, for example the armor mode is really helpful compared to the armor mode of the first two games and the stealth stay son for longer duration as well as the suit recharges at a fast rate, so does your health.

Complexity of the game is an order of magnitude lower than Crysis 1. I don't want to say it's been consoleified, so lets just say they did it to make it more accessible for more people. But the end result is that the suit use is far less satisfying. I miss some of the minor intricacies of the first game, like strength mode helping stabilise your aiming reticle to make long distance sniping easier.

Levels are smaller and broken into bite sized "chunks." I'm assuming this was done to make it easier to fit into the limited memory of the consoles. Thus I don't miss the "speed" nanosuit ability much.

I actually miss the lack of speed nanosuit ability :( I mean I can live without it, but it was really fun to use in C1, like quickly run near two guys, shoot one, hurl an object at another just because you can. I do presume that was was cut to help on console which does irritate, but at the end of the day the pc game also benefits from console in some ways so it's all cool to me. I mean being able to run the game at 1920x1080 60fps with full details on day one is really nice :) Console optimization really helped the pc version in that respect, so my hats off to consoles there.

I'm still fairly early into the game, but it's decently open so far. It can't match the fun of prowling around in C1's open forest, that will always be a memorable game to me. But it's still a pretty good mix of closed and open so far. I'm playing it slow, often just ignoring the enemies in the distance and just walking around the larger areas, looking at stuff, picking up stuff and throwing them around etc, and I've been able to approach some areas in multiple ways so it's nice that they at least partly retained that from C1. That's one of the bigger flaws of other shooters where you often have only one way to solve each scenario basically, I like that C2 lets me choose different ways to approach things.

Regarding simplification, I'm half half there. I'm actually playing the game from my couch with a 360 controller on pc so I actually like *some* simplification to make it all workable on controler, and I really don't like extremely difficult games anymore personally. So far the balance seems nice to me, it still feels like a Crysis game, decent mix of close and open, controller friendly, looks nice and runs top notch on day one. I dunno, I wasn't happy about no dx11 support but at the end of the day I'm still having good fun with the game and it still looks damn nice!

PS3 change setting to 720p?

To fix the ps3 blur just switch the ps3 settings from 1080p to 720p,the blur is due to the up scaling they did on the ps3 version. The 360 runs the game on 720p which makes it look the way it does,i have a friend who has crysis2 on both 360 and ps3 and when we made this change to 720 all was fixed the blur was gone and it looked great :).

don't know how valid it is. Some gaffers are gonna try it

PS3 change setting to 720p?

don't know how valid it is. Some gaffers are gonna try it

I noticed someone describing the PS3 graphics and his TV showing 1080p on GAF, and suggested the same, that very likely forcing 720p is going to look much better. I never played it otherwise, mind you, but I've only played the multiplayer so far.

I just got to the first nighttime level, and I gotta say, it looks pretty awesome. The scale, lighting, textures and water/rain effects all combined make it look amazing.

The only problem I have with the graphics so far, is they don't seem to be as polished as other AAA games (and the game as a whole). I've seen a few graphical glitches, and sometimes the texture pop in is pretty bad. Framerate is inconsistent but very playable. It's weird, even when the framerate drops, the controls still feel responsive so it's still very playable.

I know many people dig the sandbox style gameplay, but I actually prefer the areas that aren't so big and open. I had a hard time avoiding big fire fights in such areas.

Still loving the game so far.

It's weird, even when the framerate drops, the controls still feel responsive so it's still very playable.

Crysis 1 was like that as well. Still responsive even in the low 20s. One of the things that will probably fly under the radar for most, but I think Crytek should be commended for it. Nothing worse than laggy controls.

I guess it was mostly the Object Motion Blur which helped in making even 20FPS feel substantially smoother than what you would expect.

Console optimization really helped the pc version in that respect, so my hats off to consoles there.

Theres no magic code that they found when doing Crysis 2 for the consoles, it runs good because they made it a corridor shooter (it is easy to cull the geometry by not using big open levels), they made the shaders simple (for example the water), they made less particle effects and they do not react physically to the environment like they did on Crysis 1, theres less physics interaction in the levels, the textures in many places are low rez, the amount of polygons on screen is also much less them it was on Crysis 1 and the AI is simple (The AI was not very bright on Crysis 1 but compared to Crysis 2 they are genius).

, I wasn't happy about no dx11 support but at the end of the day I'm still having good fun with the game and it still looks damn nice!

Yes it does look nice i can't deny that, but imo it could have looked fantastic if Crytek used the true power of the PC platform and of their engine.

Hello

I dont really care either way but if the majority thinks it is then most likely it is bro. If I wasn't so lazy right now I would quote Lucid_Dreamers "LOT vote majority has spoken" post and use it as my answer..

That, my friend, is the power of a beer goggles technology called marketing.

Take that away and you have a game that looks great but no different from many games already out like BF2 and even 60fps COD MW2.

What this game has is great marketing from super brand name (Crytek), great product name (Crysis), and also super jargon.

Actual detail level and effects (in hd videos shown on this thread and also youtube) are only good. Not great.

Some aspect of the graphics is very good and many are actually very mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres no magic code that they found when doing Crysis 2 for the consoles, it runs good because they made it a corridor shooter (it is easy to cull the geometry by not using big open levels), they made the shaders simple (for example the water), they made less particle effects and they do not react physically to the environment like they did on Crysis 1, theres less physics interaction in the levels, the textures in many places are low rez, the amount of polygons on screen is also much less them it was on Crysis 1 and the AI is simple (The AI was not very bright on Crysis 1 but compared to Crysis 2 they are genius).
Please don't downplay the game. Corridor shooter? Worse AI than Crysis? Really? You can do far better than that.

Back