[360, PS3] Crysis 2

Regardless of possible poor IQ and minor framerate hitches, i'm just keen to play the SP game and experience the story & gameplay. After the slideshow that was Crysis one on my PC, i'd much rather go for a 24fps 1024 x 720 PS3 port than a 10fps slugfest on my computer.

You got an ancient PC? Else an 8800GT 512MB and a simple desktop Core2Duo will grant you 30fps at 1920x1080 in PC demo at low settings which is comparable to 360 demo (actually the DOF res, edge AA is better and maybe more). Thats not even a high-end PC from 2006 era. But if you prefer PS3 version that fine, just saying.

You got an ancient PC? Else an 8800GT 512MB and a simple desktop Core2Duo will grant you 30fps at 1920x1080 in PC demo at low settings which is comparable to 360 demo (actually the DOF res, edge AA is better and maybe more). Thats not even a high-end PC from 2006 era. But if you prefer PS3 version that fine, just saying.
What would be the max/avg/min framerates on such a PC?

I'm not saying the PS3 version is going to be awesome, because it's apparent from all the no-shows from Crytek that it won't, but I wouldn't trust anything Arthur Gies says on that article on IGN: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/21517/TeamXbox-Welcomes-News-and-Features-Editor-Arthur-Gies/

The thing is, i simply can't play a game on PC without forcing max settings on everything. I'm one of those obsessive compulsive people that can't stand knowing that a game can be played on my platform better than i'm currently running it. I hate compromising shadow quality, AA, AF, texture quality etc just to get a game to run at a decent framerate, and i refuse to go out and spend another £1000 to upgrade my rig just to max C2 out.

If i have to compromise and play C2 at compromised specs, i'd rather do it on my PS3 where i know i'm playing the very best version available on that platform.

I know that might sound rediculous but hey everyone's free to like what they like. Each to their own ;-)

I'm not saying the PS3 version is going to be awesome, because it's apparent from all the no-shows from Crytek that it won't, but I wouldn't trust anything Arthur Gies says on that article on IGN: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/21517/TeamXbox-Welcomes-News-and-Features-Editor-Arthur-Gies/

So wait, because Arthuir Gies was once a teamxbox editor, he automatically cant be trusted for multiplatform impressions? :rolleyes:

I dont trust IGN either, but for legit reasons like the fact they're wrong so often, and they are a bunch of editors who dont have a high level of technology knowledge...

Contrary to popular belief, just because Crytek are competent PC devs doesn't automatically make them console development God's. That was really the poetic irony i was highlighting ;-)

Well, contrary to popular forum believe the ps3 vesions of games can't always be expected to always keep up with the 360 versions given the ps3's older hardware, more limited ram setup and higher bottlenecks list. If they can keep both versions fairly close then that's really impressive in my mind.

The thing is, i simply can't play a game on PC without forcing max settings on everything. I'm one of those obsessive compulsive people that can't stand knowing that a game can be played on my platform better than i'm currently running it. I hate compromising shadow quality, AA, AF, texture quality etc just to get a game to run at a decent framerate, and i refuse to go out and spend another £1000 to upgrade my rig just to max C2 out.

If i have to compromise and play C2 at compromised specs, i'd rather do it on my PS3 where i know i'm playing the very best version available on that platform.

I know that might sound rediculous but hey everyone's free to like what they like. Each to their own ;-)

Lol I'm actually the same way, I can't stand the thought of unchecking a graphical feature on a PC game, although I have had to do that selectively sometimes on the ones that really impact performance. Sometimes you can downgrade just one setting, like shadows for example, and get a huge boost in performance depending on your hardware.

Actually didn't they say they got people from SONY to add to work force/implement solutions.

Like how most PS3 exclusives actually take help and use of other devs and their work.

It should be noted that the "Sony sent a team over" PR blurb, at least in the past, meant they sent a single Sony dev over just to see if there were glaring things being done wrong. Of course even after having done so it doesn't mean that anything was actually found to have been wrong but it still sound good, pr wise, to say "Sony sent a team over". Recommended coding practices are pretty bog standard nowayds on ps3, it's really not a mystery to anyone as to what to do and not do on that machine. Likewise I'm fairly sure the Crytek boys know their way around the limits of Nvidia 7 cards.

Cevat Yerli promises that we did during the exclusive World Premiere that in New York. "The PS3 version will be excellent, almost certainly the best console version available."

I think the moral of the story, which I guess shouldn't really be surprising, is never believe a single word that pr spews out at anytime on any game, ever.

So wait, because Arthuir Gies was once a teamxbox editor, he automatically cant be trusted for multiplatform impressions? :rolleyes:

I dont trust IGN either, but for legit reasons like the fact they're wrong so often, and they are a bunch of editors who dont have a high level of technology knowledge...

There's a link to his twitter and frankly he comes off as someone biased against the PS3, hating on the free high quality PS3 Netflix, etc. And yes, being an editor at teamxbox right before working for IGN screams bias.

I am not saying PS3 version is going to be better, but I doubt it's going to be as bad as he says.

There's a link to his twitter and frankly he comes off as someone biased against the PS3, hating on the free high quality PS3 Netflix, etc. And yes, being an editor at teamxbox right before working for IGN screams bias.

I am not saying PS3 version is going to be better, but I doubt it's going to be as bad as he says.

Then I guess all IGN is bias because their lead editor wrote this... http://www.ign.com/blogs/Hil-IGN/2010/12/30/why-i-switched-to-ps3/

But anyways yeah I dont trust Gies impressions either. Though it might turn out to be true.

The thread is moving quit fast

I know, seems a bunch of people got tired of Killzone 3 or something suddenly

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I guess all IGN is bias because their lead editor wrote this... http://www.ign.com/blogs/Hil-IGN/2010/12/30/why-i-switched-to-ps3/
I wouldn't trust that guy's objectiveness either. They have to have extremists from both sides to make it balanced :)

I know, seems a bunch of people got tired of Killzone 3 or something suddenly
Have you ever played Killzone 2 or 3 MP for extended amounts of time? Even without 3D, they are extremely tiring on the eyes, seriously they are the only games where you should take the disclaimers about health risks in the beginning seriously. That's why people say "I got killzowned", it means the game owned you.

Why would Crytek get people from Sony to add to their workforce? Do you mean that they hired ex-Sony guys?

That's not what the guy said.

It was pretty clear, he said that they had to get the Sony devs in to work on the PS3 build. The same way other devs like the team that worked on Bayonetta needed Sony ninja's help when their codebase was a mess.

Contrary to popular belief, just because Crytek are competent PC devs doesn't automatically make them console development God's. That was really the poetic irony i was highlighting ;-)

How much help did they receive from Sony? Did they "save" the project or was it just a few tips?

Didn't Crytek hire people with experience on the PS3 (outside of FR)? I looked at Gamasutra since that's where I thought I found the news years ago, but no luck.

If they did hire people to help with PS3 development and Sony sent a tech out to help, I wonder why they would still be having issues.:???:

They said that they needed to get Sony engineers in to get the PS3 build up to scratch. After all the comments about how "we at Crytek find PS3 development easy", i'd say it's a clear sign that they ran into problems.

Yeah you could say that maybe the 360 is more suited to their engine, but that's irrelevant to the question of what they were able to do on the PS3 platform.

Sony devs had to go in and help the mighty tech Gods Crytek... i think that speaks volumes:LOL:

I think some context is needed to gauge what they mean by finding ps3 development "easy". When I read that, I thought they were saying PS3 development was easy compared to the nightmare they expected.

Also I don't think it means anything when Sony sends a tech or team to help with a game.

Of course they hired console programmers,they had to have quite a résumé.Isn't Fran working at Crytek?
I don't think Crytek is solely here to blame.I mean,we still haven't seen retail SP versions of game so we are just blabbing with nothing in our hands.
As Laa-Yosh and Joker said,we are just forgetting how ancient those consoles are and how limited they are on ram,and that plays the biggest part in Crytek games.I do remember them saying they could do Crysis 1 on consoles if it wasn't for the limiting factor of ram.

Pretty high for all 3 I would think, at least at consoles settings.

Regardless, the original post was with regards to the original Crysis, not the apparently consolised sequel.

To be fair though, even when the original launched you'd have had to be running a pretty crap PC to hit 10fps at 1024x720. I was rocking along at high settings on my GTS640 at around 25fps on high at 720p.

It doesn't help that you can't even try out the PC demo to know if your machine can run it or not thanks to their account servers being down (for 2 days now) - really its quite pathethic to see this from a AAA dev (and lets not bring up the 360 'beta' that was easily the most unstable piece of software I've ever encountered on a console)

It doesn't help that you can't even try out the PC demo to know if your machine can run it or not thanks to their account servers being down (for 2 days now) - really its quite pathethic to see this from a AAA dev (and lets not bring up the 360 'beta' that was easily the most unstable piece of software I've ever encountered on a console)

Within the past 2 days or so the account servers have been up, it was only for like a day that it was broken.

"Beta" being the operative word... No use complaining about a beta being unstable. By definition it's unfinished code so that's not a fair criticism against the devs. Again the beta was most likely used to load test their MP servers, so how stable or not the code is isn't really relevant to the purpose of the beta.

Besides, no AAA dev this gen even comes close to the crap that Bioware pulled with Dragon Age 1 on PC. I still can play my save file because of that sh@tty DLC authorisation bug. I waited a year for a patch that did nothing to rectify the issue, then ended up having to buy the game on PS3 just to get through it (bought it used in protest - Bioware weren't getting another flipping dime from me). I'm never touching another bioware game on PC.

At least Crysis 1 was relatively well supported by Crytek, and i don't expect them to skimp on that with C2 ;-)

Didnt have problems to logg in from day 1 and im playing mp demo every day . And i have no clue what you mean by most unstable piece of software in regards to x360 no single crash, freeze or connection issues so far.

I have to say, I'm just really impressed by the 360 MP demo. The graphics seem really sharp and detailed (on my TV, anyway), and some areas just look phenomenal. I'm eager to see how the PS3 demo stacks up.

EDIT: Had a really nice firefight between the 2 teams of Pier 17 - with one on the balcony of the building (facing out into they quay) and the other in/on the crashed ferry. Was really awesome, but then I was stealth-killed from behind :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back