[360, PS3] Crysis 2

That's doesn't makes any sense :???:
Why would you take a capture from the low quality youtube video when the Crysis 2 video is easily of a far superior quality than that ?
If you are to compare then go & take a screengrab from any of the FC2 HD videos in GT. It'd be a fair comparison then cause the HD videos in GT are just as much compressed & representative of the final game as the Crysis 2 video everyone here is referring to.

Problem with PC games capture is that not only is it from video but also looks heavily compressed,it looks very lets say,underwhelming.B3D should not be a forum where people are discussing low quality video captures,which are also compressed quite alot.

All we have for now is alot of maybe even overly positive previews.There is probably 5 previews calling it best looking game to date,not to talk about what the guy who was at the event(moderator from Incrysis.com)said.The average impressions are incredible,and i dont remember any game getting so many positive previews regarding it looks(not even KZ2 or UC2,only original Crysis) so these old compressed video captures probably dont do game justice.I would love if people wait for some more info videos and others,Cevat told in next 2 month alot of new stuff coming out,so lets just wait.

Problem with PC games capture is that not only is it from video but also looks heavily compressed,it looks very lets say,underwhelming.B3D should not be a forum where people are discussing low quality video captures,which are also compressed quite alot.

All we have for now is alot of maybe even overly positive previews.There is probably 5 previews calling it best looking game to date,not to talk about what the guy who was at the event(moderator from Incrysis.com)said.The average impressions are incredible,and i dont remember any game getting so many positive previews regarding it looks(not even KZ2 or UC2,only original Crysis) so these old compressed video captures probably dont do game justice.I would love if people wait for some more info videos and others,Cevat told in next 2 month alot of new stuff coming out,so lets just wait.

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I mean I have never seen a game with so many positive impression. Naturally, logically looking at the pictures that have been posted here you who be inclined to wait for an official screenshot from the developer.

The thing is, the screenshots from the developers are normally tampered or doctored.

But if one is to acknowledge a highly compressed screengrab as an accurate representative of how the game looks, then we might as well take the screenshot from the developers as accurate representatives of the game.

I definitely agree with waiting for more info, but there may be an easy explanation for it's more universal comments at this point. The game is multiplatform. More people get to see/play it.

It may indeed be the most beautiful game to date but the number of positive previews is not necessarily the best indicator. And we shouldn't be judged because we are indifferent to their comments.

That is basically what is going on here with those two Crysis 2 screens, that were originally posted by a fanboy on Neogaf for the specific purpose to slam the game. You would think Beyond 3d would be above that type of thing, but I guess not.

No it isn't the case. The problems with those screenshots aren't related to image compression artifacts, but poor texture filtering and lighting. If anything, it's exactly what differentiates B3D - that we pay attention to such features.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1359/crysis2screenshotsbilde.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1359/crysis2screenshotsbilde.jpg

I'm talking about the above pictures...

What we may still debate is just how representative these images are to the final build... but the images themselves are disappointing.

No it isn't the case. The problems with those screenshots aren't related to image compression artifacts, but poor texture filtering and lighting. If anything, it's exactly what differentiates B3D - that we pay attention to such features.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1359/crysis2screenshotsbilde.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1359/crysis2screenshotsbilde.jpg

I'm talking about the above pictures...

What we may still debate is just how representative these images are to the final build... but the images themselves are disappointing.

It should be noted that these observations have nothing to do with "personal agendas" as someone else tend to suggest.

Im not sure what the conclusion is on these screens. Are we simply "underwhelmed" due to the hype or do we simply believe the images are low quality in general? Regardless its not as if the images are "bad".

I was rather impressed by the image complexity/detail as well as some of the particle effects. Lighting and texture work also looked fairly well done.

You guys are comparing games with single time of day faked/baked/etc lighting to Crysis which has 24 hour lighting. I think where Crysis will impress is during play when the lighting subtly changes over the course of play. I don't think screen shots every do justice to games that have 24 hour lighting.

:oops::oops:

Lack of AF has a catastrophic effect in a FPS.

Is there any chance the final game will have any? I think I read (here, I think) that AF doesn't work with their parralax occlusion mapping. If that's true I would appreciate the option to turn it off and get some AF :|

Though I'm not sure why people are complaining about the lighting, it looks fantastic.

I aint judging anything until official pics or videos come,but maybe Crytek wanted bit to much(sandbox environments,GI,physics) but still deliver console benchmark in terms of graphics.In the end of the day ordinary people judge what they see on the screen,they dont care about pdf tech presentations or procedural deformation or real time GI...
But,here is the hope Crytek delivers,it would be amazing if multiplatform dev makes it.After all i doubt they(and press) would hype it so much if it indeed looks like this in the end.

I am watching direct feed Cryengine 3 tech demo from GDC 10,and is it just me or it does not look remotely as bad as those shoots?Sure its a video,but still...there has to be something wrong with those shoots,knowing the website where it came from i would not be surprised...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D9oINHI11E

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are comparing games with single time of day faked/baked/etc lighting to Crysis which has 24 hour lighting. I think where Crysis will impress is during play when the lighting subtly changes over the course of play.

Assassin's Creed 2 had 24 hour lighting and it wasn't really worth it IMHO. The first game looked loads better in many ways and lighting was one of them. It's just too subtle a change in most games.

The only one that did it right IMHO is GTA4 but it also had rain (with super nice reflective wet roads and pavements), overcast day, and lots of small lights on cars lamps etc.

A destroyed city (without any significant life) just isn't flashy enough to make good use of a dynamic time of day system IMHO. Especially if it's not a good open world sandbox game but more of a corridor shooter - which Crysis 2 seems to be. Making separate night and day levels instead would be a far better approach.

Don't care how much tech its using in those two shots but those...are just plain ugly in every possible way, even by console standards. uggh ! :mad:
The textures just look like an ugly blob of liquid Tar & the suit textures are just too flat, I don't think its suppose to look like that...maybe a streaming bug ?
And lastly lots of shimmering in the aliased edges.

Still KZ2,FC2 & Reach for me !

Yes, why does that look so horrible? There has to be something wrong with the engine in those pics, you can't blame the terrible texturing on JPEG compression.

Also, I I recall Crytek saying that 360 version had a graphics advantage due to the engine being shader heavy and Xenos being much more flexible than RSX?
(which echo Carmack's thoughts on the console differences for RAGE).

But the PS3 with Cell should have an advantage at physics processing, so maybe the 360 version will look a bit better with the PS3 version having more detailed physics (or better framerate in physics heavy scenes)

Here's what I know about Crytek: Far Cry blew me away visually, and Crysis blew me away visually. The only other game that wowed me as much was Unreal way back in the day. They definitely have something special going on in their studio, so I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt.

The only thing that concerns me is performance. If they can't get the performance so it passes MS and Sony's certification, they may be forced to degrade the visuals. On PC they really don't seem to give a shit because you can always buy faster hardware in a few months.

If I didn't know any better I would say the shots are direct feed captures since I don't see any pixelation. Those two shots looked exactly the same as from the direct feed GDC video, when shown in 720p res they reveal all the sign of imperfections such as low res textures, bad filtering, jaggies and less than "the wall trailer" quality lighting effects. Maybe the motion blur helps to cover some of the sore spots from the video.

A destroyed city (without any significant life) just isn't flashy enough to make good use of a dynamic time of day system IMHO. Especially if it's not a good open world sandbox game but more of a corridor shooter - which Crysis 2 seems to be. Making separate night and day levels instead would be a far better approach.

I totally agree. All games themselves are fake. It is just how you make it believable. It does not matter which route you take. Those screens look horrible by a mile ( like the first-gen games of this gen).

You guys are comparing games with single time of day faked/baked/etc lighting to Crysis which has 24 hour lighting.
Farcry 2 :rolleyes:

Especially if it's not a good open world sandbox game but more of a corridor shooter - which Crysis 2 seems to be. Making separate night and day levels instead would be a far better approach.
I agree, its useless to have a TOD if it doesn't gets directly implemented into the game itself. We all know how Crysis plays, you can pretty much stand still at a single location for hours & yet the time won't change cause it depends on progression/levels rather than actual time as you have in GTA4/FC2 etc etc. So having a totally dynamic lighting & shadowing is surely not the way to go for this type of game "on consoles" ,as its a waste of resources imo.

We all know how Crysis plays, you can pretty much stand still at a single location for hours & yet the time won't change cause it depends on progression/levels rather than actual time as you have in GTA4/FC2 etc etc.

Actually if you stand still in Crysis time will move for almost every level but at certain checkpoints time is accelerated to fit designers choice. Now it depends from map to map how wide the time span is and the speed. Some maps like "Island" first map goes from 5:30-10:00 with moderate time speed.

Having the tech there 24h is down to designer choice. Of course Crysis maps aint big enough to warrant the extensive extra work to create 24h TOD cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the tech there 24h is down to designer choice. Of course Crysis maps aint big enough to warrant the extensive extra work to create 24h TOD cycles.
I did a bit of generalization there ofcourse, you do have a few maps where it goes from night to day, but as I said it only occurs when you pass "that certain place" ie. trigger location for TOD. For instance its made sure that you get to see the sunrise right when you get near the shore in the first level. Its only then when the TOD gets a significant change or else its kept to a very very slow cycle, so slow that its almost negligible to take into account that any change is happening.

IIRC MGS4 did exactly something like this for just one level (Act 2 start) where it changes from night to dusk & then noon slowly as you progress and I thought that it was a bit of waste cause they never used it anywhere else in the game and they obviously had to have some sacrifices being made so as to bring in TOD and it really shows in terms of lacking small touches like shadow filtering & such [sawtooth edges bigger than shadow itself]. It wasn't worth it at all imo cause the shortcomings outweigh the benefits.

I am not questioning the tech here, all I am saying is that its a bit useless for games like these to have TOD on consoles, as they can do just as well (infact better) without it.

Seems like he's on a criticizing spree first MW2 & now Halo. :LOL:

Back